GPS tracker - RF-V16

Reaction score
Hey guys, scared of losing 1500$+ of equipment during FPV, in case of a crash, I installed a mini GPS tracker on my Phantom 2. Model "RF-V16", weights 27 grams, works with a micro-SIM. Mounted on the leg diametrically opposed to the compass. I just made some tests with my car, and it seems to work correctly, replying a SMS message with its GPS coordinates. I don't know if this on-board GSM signal can somehow interfere with the rest, I hope not.

7AfhJ54.jpg

08r9MOt.jpg

You should be fine, just recalibrate compass before you fly first time with tracker !
Looks good, here is what I did: ( no issues yet )

42EF6CEE-7382-488B-9373-99B7C09E48EC_zpsdeqaceer.jpg

3A1B3F46-399C-4B42-B5D6-498A138A857C_zpsshuz0gfr.jpg

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

gasato. I've not seen that tracker before. Do you have any info on it? Is it a true GPS or is it triangulating using it's cell signal?

Is it a true GPS or is it triangulating using it's cell signal?

I verified it's a true GPS and is pretty accurate aswell (chip sirf4). Only if it doesn't get the GPS signal, then relies on the cell triangulation, but in open sky it should be always be getting good GPS.

Nice. Where did you get that from?

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for the kind words about my orange bag!

I did make it
List:
12in x 12inch ( vinyl ) or leathereete, I chose ORANGE ( or smaller than ( 12x12 ) my shop that is the smallest I could buy )
BENT NEEDLE, large for hand sewing. ( or use sewing machine ) if it can handle thick material, mine can't!
( you'll want a BENT NEEDLE if hand sewing, as a straight one would put a hurting on your fingers! )
Thread ( Heavy Duty ) or it will break when you try to sew! I used orange HD thread
Buttons ( I used metal, I wanted plastic ) but could not find them?
Button tool ( I used a small plastic $4 one ) worked fine ( you'll need a hammer it similar )to press together
As for the logo ( I originally used DJI STICKERS, but did not match ( color ) so I cut out the letters with
An EXACTO-KNIFE ( small razor knife ) To cut it out, turned out nice!
( WARNING WHEN USING EXACTO-knives, they are little razors, EXTREMELY SHARP,
Use EXTREME CAUTION, as you can get hurt just bumping the blade! Just BE CAREFUL! )
Here are some other pics:
A88AB77A-9FB9-4674-900C-123EF21C36EC_zps8xlrrluy.jpg

876A39BA-B90E-484C-891E-E9D6D0BC116D_zpsz7jjleoo.jpg

42EF6CEE-7382-488B-9373-99B7C09E48EC_zpsdeqaceer.jpg

3A1B3F46-399C-4B42-B5D6-498A138A857C_zpsshuz0gfr.jpg

As for WEIGHT: here are the specs:
The bag ( 26.4 grams, or .93oz. )
The GPS unit ( with battery, sim, and memory cards )
GPS ( 59.8 grams, or 2.11 oz. )
Together ( bag & GPS )
Both. ( 86.2 grams , or 3.04 oz. )

Hope this helps! ( PLEASE excuse my daughters toys, lol we have a 1 year old! )

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Jerry D-

Would you consider making another similar pocket and selling to me? I"m very interested.

Thanks!

Phantom2inVA

Mine has just arrived from China.... I'll be fitting it at the weekend. I can't believe how small it is!

Goldfishrock- can you provide a link to the one you got and also let us know how it works. I'm curious if it will interfere with anything on the Copter.

Thanks!

Phantom2inVA

Hi

I would also be very interested to see how you get on with it.

Just wondering about the weight as I have also recently bought a Phantom 2, Gimbal, GoPro etc.

And in theory it should not effect the Phantom and all you need is a phone app to locate it?

Thanks

It sounds very interesting. I have a "Marco Polo" that works very nice but am very interested in this.
They advertise free cards and I wonder if that might be a way to keep the cost down as there would be very little use.

Tom

You are a smart man!!!! Kudos to you! I feel that dji needs to install this unit as a stock part of this unstable unit. Oops sorry for the zing...had nothing but problems with my P2 and DJI service dept!! And yes I'm very experienced with gps calibration and dji flight controllers.
I fly a TBS Discovery with gimble. DjI phantom 2, 11 flights problems.....discover pro 30 flights 0 problems!

gasato said:
Hey guys, scared of losing 1500$+ of equipment during FPV, in case of a crash, I installed a mini GPS tracker on my Phantom 2. Model "RF-V16", weights 27 grams, works with a micro-SIM. Mounted on the leg diametrically opposed to the compass. I just made some tests with my car, and it seems to work correctly, replying a SMS message with its GPS coordinates. I don't know if this on-board GSM signal can somehow interfere with the rest, I hope not.

7AfhJ54.jpg

08r9MOt.jpg

I recently purchased this GPS for my Multi-Rotor and it is fantastic. I did open it up and it truly does have a small GPS chip which really helps. But I have one question that I hope someone can help with. When I am charging it, It keeps playing some music notes every 30 or so seconds. I turn it off and it still keeps doing that. Is there a way for it to charge without the music? Thanks for any help

Grandpa Jake

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic