GPS Tracker Help

Reaction score
I am currently looking for a good quality GPS tracker for my new P2VP. I dont want to spend a fortune (who does right?) but I also dont want something really cheap either. Can anyone recommend a good one to look at? Thanks!

Makai2207 said:
Cool thanks. Does anyone know how much in operating costs one of the TK102B will cost?

Not quite sure what you mean, but nothing after you've paid for the tracker, sim card and put some credit on the sim card.

There's no monthly sim charge and £10 worth of text messages will last an awfully long time. Hopefully you will never have to phone it for it's position !

I think I'll get Trax as well - especially after seeing how Tagg (http://www.pettracker.com/) just raised their monthly service price from $7.99 per month to $9.99 per month. Although buying the Trax device looks expensive compared to others, don't forget that it includes 2 years of service, and after that, it is just $4.95 per month. Sounds like the winner in my book.

that traxx tracker looks like a fairly good overall deal .and weighs only 25g.

I went with the tagg.com tracker , which seems quite similar, tho I think it's only available in the states.
it's cheaper to get into, but I guess they have a higher monthly charge overall.

both of these trackers are based on built-in sim cards.

tho there are other GPS trackers out there that allow your o buy non-monthly single-use type sim cards,. so they wouldn't require a monthly pay plan.

Geert said:
I made up my mind and I ordered the Thrax today.

http://www.traxfamily.com

Geert.
Did you order straight from them or somewhere else like Amazon?
And did you get and estimated ship date?
Trax is currently at the top of my list but that Retrievor looks great.
My only concern with either is the lack of in-depth reviews. (or even anything better than "I like it")
Both look great on paper but I'd love to see just how reliable they are before committing. I get that Retrievor isn't out yet but people do have the Trax.

Farside said:
I get that Retrievor isn't out yet but people do have the Trax.

I have a Trax on order. They are waiting for their second production run and are expected to ship sometime this month. The Retrievor (yes that's how they spell it) looks very interesting. 18 grams, about the diameter of a quarter (approx. 4 quarters thick), GPS and satellite based communication system so it should work virtually anywhere on Earth, and it claims to be "self-charging." $199 cost and $1.79 monthly service fee. Wish I could find some more technical information. Retrievor is very new and I will keeping an eye on this one for future use.

Dirty Bird said:
I have a Trax on order. They are waiting for their second production run and are expected to ship sometime this month.
I assume you ordered through them directly?
Amazon has it listed $20 cheaper and I have over $100 in Amazon gift cards so I'd LOVE to go through them (not to mention their returns can't get any easier) but they have a July 1 release date :cry:
I emailed Trax asking if Amazon will get them in May as well.. we'll see.

And that Retrievor does look great but the more I think about it, the more it seems like we'll end up being beta testers. I'm so tired of that.
Trax's kickstarter funders are pretty much beta testers so hopefully the unit will have at least most of the kinks ironed out.

I think I just talked myself into a Trax... :lol:

Yes I ordered my Trax direct. I read a post somewhere that the Trax testers had v1 units. Trax is allowing them to keep them, and sending them the new v2 units. I don't know if they are the same outwardly, but apparently they made changes to the internal hardware since the original Trax units were released.

Still waiting for my xexun tk102-2. Supposedly this is the genuine real deal Gps tracker and all the 102a/b you see for $25-50 are clones. Not sure on the difference in quality between the 2 but figured the real deal has to be better and I didn't want to find out that a clone was useless when it's too late, ie after a flyaway.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121234371462

Can we get sim cards in the US without paying a monthly fee? It sounds like I could use these devices for my phantom and also use it to replace my delorme in reach tracking device. I pay around 32 dollars a month for it now.

I am not sure. I just got my TK102B and went up to walmart last night and bought a GOPhone from AT&T. Activiated the sim card and removed it and discarded the phone. Paid for the 10 cents a min plan (I am never going to use it for calling) and pay $5 a month for 200 text messages. Not a bad deal. Cant wait to put it to the test this weekend!

Thanks Makai2207.
If you can, please test the SOS feature. If this works, I can save some money. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl