GPS question on iPad 2 Mini

Reaction score
Looking to get an iPad mini 2. Do you recommend the cellular version or just wifi?
I believe you need the cellular version if you change your home point mid flight or want to use follow me, but neither apply to me. Do the maps still show on the GO app, I'm guessing so.

All help appreciated.
Simon

Looking to get an iPad mini 2. Do you recommend the cellular version or just wifi?
I believe you need the cellular version if you change your home point mid flight or want to use follow me, but neither apply to me. Do the maps still show on the GO app, I'm guessing so.

All help appreciated.
Simon
The maps will show if you cache before heading out over wifi.

Reactions: swoot
Go App gets the maps using the internet connectivity on the iPad. In case you have a wifi version, get the maps cached for the location you will be flying prior to leaving the wifi area or you can get the maps at site if you use hotspot feature of your iPhone at site.

Non Cellular version of iPad will not have GPS, so all the features such as listed by you above will not work unless you attach an external GPS device to your iPad.

If you are getting almost the same price for used iPad mini 2, go for cellular else its your choice.

Celluar if you want full functions. I don't have a data connection so no monthly cost. I cache the maps at home while on wifi.
The option to buy data is a nice perk for vacation, etc.

I believe you need the cellular version if you change your home point mid flight or want to use follow me
That's correct for Follow-me but only half right about resetting the home point.
Without GPS in the iPad, you can reset home to the current location of the Phantom any time.
But you can't reset to the location of you and the controller, which might be used if you were flying from a moving car or boat.
Definitely not a project stopper

Go App gets the maps using the internet connectivity on the iPad. In case you have a wifi version, get the maps cached for the location you will be flying prior to leaving the wifi area or you can get the maps at site if you use hotspot feature of your iPhone at site.

Non Cellular version of iPad will not have GPS, so all the features such as listed by you above will not work unless you attach an external GPS device to your iPad.

If you are getting almost the same price for used iPad mini 2, go for cellular else its your choice.

Thanks everyone. How do I cache the maps on the mini? Never done that before :flushed::flushed:

Thanks everyone. How do I cache the maps on the mini? Never done that before :flushed::flushed:
Enable the Cache Maps in Bacground setting in the app.
Then while at home with wifi, open the app, go to the map view and tap it to maximise.
Find the area you are interested in and look around at the detail level you want.
That's it, you've now cached a map and it should be available when you go out in the field.

Reactions: Aymin and swoot
I like to have the cellular on my tablet, but you can always generate a hotspot from another device to take care of any maps you failed to cache. With so many options it just becomes a; what's your personal preference.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31