GPS plug inside shell

Reaction score
I took my Vision 2+ apart to install a flytrex. The GPS plug came out really easy.. it dont snap in. it slides freely..
is this normal?

yeah, ironic huh.
This is one of the most important plugs on the quad (well they all are really) and this is the worst fitting plug on the quad.
I have cut the ends off of two wire ties and shoved them down between the plug and socket trying to get a better fit. It didn't work, they vibrated out. Now I don't wedge anything in there but what I have found is this: when you are putting the top shell back on and you plug in the gps cable, as you are lowering the top shell down, make sure to bend the gps cable away from the outside of the quad. Bend it towards the inside. It will hold itself in that way. I don't have gps issues any more, and as an added bonus my camera comes right on every time now. I was fighting my camera, it would only come on half the time. I would re-boot everything then it would work. Now it's first time every time. I have no idea what this gps cable has to do with the camera, but this has been my experience.
try it, it might help

Yes, and it's a piss poor design. My suggestion is to do what I did and adhere a small piece of Velcro (loop side) onto one side of that male GPS plug so when you slip it in there is a lot of friction holding it in place and keeping it from popping off during flight.

http://www.phantompilots.com/attachments/20141221_200619-jpg.12895/

Last edited:
Anything you can wedge in between the female and male plug will help keep the plug from vibrating lose. I used a piece if cardboard off a good and plenty box end . Works great!

Thanks, i have not had any problems yet. but made me nervous.
you should enforce it. loose gps = no way to find home. It may even cause some conflict with the naza and cause it to go apeshit. You will Squeal when it flies away...

GPS is the safety to get her back home. In my opinion the so called fly a ways could be caused by GPS loss. Without it... Where she goes... Sky's the limit!!!

All the more reason to stay VLOS and become proficient in ATTI mode.

Squeal, don't let all the hype about the GPS plug confuse you. It's just added insurance by improving on the connection to insure it stays tight. You'll read all type of info on GPS mods to improve reception , improve the plug. Antenna modes to get more range. Modes to the camera to protect the gimbal, motor wiring mods for V3 and ESC mods for older ESC'S. Take them with grain of salt. I have two Phantoms, one I have done every mod to and one that is out of the box and no changes other than updates and calibrations. Both fly perfectly only difference is the antenna mods give me greater distance in my environment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair