Gps outer shell

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a question. Do you think its a good Idea to move the gps from inside the shell to outside and mount it on top?

Are you talking about one of the externally mounted Naza m lite units, I have wondered as well but in the end my internal has never failed me now that I done the alum. foil tape mod.

I know but what if I have alu foil on the inside and then mount my gps module externally ...wonder how much difference that would make

You still have the issue of the cable from the GPS going down into the Phantom, and that appears to me to be the main interference as the GPS module is already shielded. The longer that cable becomes the more interference will be induced, so you may need to shield the cable with some braided shielding, or use a choke coil. You will have to experiment to find out.

The cable going down from the gps module hooks up to my flytrex y connecter. should i shield that too??

krsdj1 said:
I was thinking of mounting it on the outside as well.I wonder how the GPS signal would be then?

You still need to enter the shell and connect to the mainboard, and that puts you right next to the Wi-Fi module. This seems like such a simple correction for DJI. Either use twisted pair (like ethernet cable) for the lead, install a small choke, or encase the connector in braided shielding.

Dirty Bird said:
krsdj1 said:
I was thinking of mounting it on the outside as well.I wonder how the GPS signal would be then?

You still need to enter the shell and connect to the mainboard, and that puts you right next to the Wi-Fi module. This seems like such a simple correction for DJI. Either use twisted pair (like ethernet cable) for the lead, install a small choke, or encase the connector in braided shielding.

Indeed DB but as a HAM radio guy its for me not a " if/or " question.
Its a do it all to get max result.
A shielded twisted pair cable with choke is a must do in this case.
I asked the question in the flytrex threat but it was never answered. ( go figures !!! )
I am awaiting a naza m exterior gps/compass module.
Seems to be the same gps module and compass used on a phantom 1 but in a box.
As i did kill the previous GPS module i installed a phantom 1 version in the V+.
I had to take out the compass connector from the main board and plug it on the gps module so it would work and it functions very nice.
I did do the basic and advanced calibrations and compass dance prior to flight.
BTW " Varmint " did a mod with a naza lite gps module.

Dirty Bird said:
Are you going to use one of the flip-up GPS mounts like on the S1000? Those are pretty cool, and it would definitely make your Phantom unique.

I have the link for the flip up system.
As a DIY guy i'm going to investigate how i can make it myself ones the naza lite unite arrives.

ToThePoint said:
Dirty Bird said:
krsdj1 said:

Indeed DB but as a HAM radio guy its for me not a " if/or " question.
Its a do it all to get max result.
A shielded twisted pair cable with choke is a must do in this case.
I asked the question in the flytrex threat but it was never answered. ( go figures !!! )
I am awaiting a naza m exterior gps/compass module.
Seems to be the same gps module and compass used on a phantom 1 but in a box.
As i did kill the previous GPS module i installed a phantom 1 version in the V+.
I had to take out the compass connector from the main board and plug it on the gps module so it would work and it functions very nice.
I did do the basic and advanced calibrations and compass dance prior to flight.
BTW " Varmint " did a mod with a naza lite gps module.

The Naza Lite 'puck' lacks the SAW/LNA network for the antenna RF section contained on the P2 module.
RC Groups has threads where they are adding foil shielding and chokes to the pucks as well.

73s

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl