GPS Module Upgrade

MSINGER... Do you think the P3 4K gps module might work? It seems all the GPS modules are 5 wires and the same connector.... I think it would have a better chance working if you get the phantom 3 4k module though... What is your take on it? I can find a "worked when removed" phantom 3 4k module for 25 dollars. I think I am going to order it and give it a shot.

Did you ever buy that $25 4K GPS module and try it?

Guys,

I'm new to Phantoms but not to quadcopters. I have several APM flight controller based quads and a hexacopter and I started out with the Ublox M6N gps units and they are OK. Probably the same class gps as in the P3S. I've since upgraded all my drones and fpv aircraft to the new Ublox M8N gps. Sure it's got Glosnas options too but the main reason I upgraded is the lock time is typically under 30 seconds cold start. HDOP are under 1.4 and the accuracy of the M8N gps is under one meter now, about twice as good as the previous iterations of gps.

I'm thinking that a Ublox M8N wired for Naza FC should work. I see no reason it wouldn't... the APM flight controller didn't do anything different when I upgraded to the M8N gps other than reporting more sats. and a much lower hdop. The data isn't any different coming out of the gps whether it's a 6 or an 8. Just more accurate data that syncs quicker on start up has been my experience in the APM world.

I can't just move one of my M8Ns to the P3S as the connectors are different so unless I read something concrete I'll be ordering one with the Naza connectors.

I've not played with the GPS yet, I have to say the P3S I have is rock steady and seems to lock on Sats quite fast and keeps its position really well. It's better than I expected bone stock but I did buy an Argtek set but I will install it later, it's the new set that has 3 omni 10db antennas plus 3 directional paddle antennas. I still want to take it out of the city for a long range test with the stock setup before trying the Argtek system.

Sent from my Fusion5_108 (16GB) using PhantomPilots mobile app

Guys,

I'm new to Phantoms but not to quadcopters. I have several APM flight controller based quads and a hexacopter and I started out with the Ublox M6N gps units and they are OK. Probably the same class gps as in the P3S. I've since upgraded all my drones and fpv aircraft to the new Ublox M8N gps. Sure it's got Glosnas options too but the main reason I upgraded is the lock time is typically under 30 seconds cold start. HDOP are under 1.4 and the accuracy of the M8N gps is under one meter now, about twice as good as the previous iterations of gps.

I'm thinking that a Ublox M8N wired for Naza FC should work. I see no reason it wouldn't... the APM flight controller didn't do anything different when I upgraded to the M8N gps other than reporting more sats. and a much lower hdop. The data isn't any different coming out of the gps whether it's a 6 or an 8. Just more accurate data that syncs quicker on start up has been my experience in the APM world.

I can't just move one of my M8Ns to the P3S as the connectors are different so unless I read something concrete I'll be ordering one with the Naza connectors.
So would something like this be plug and play compatible with a P3S?

Ublox M8N GPS for DJI NAZA Lite V1 V2 Flight Controller Phantom 1 2 Vision+

I know this a old thread but I have been kicking around the idea of putting a external GPS puck on the top of the standard. I have a upcoming project where I need a camera to point straight up. I know the Parrot Anafi does this, but want something a bit more bulky to with stand wind. Was thinking of moving the camera to the top. Thoughts/advice

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers