GPS Mode Error !

Reaction score
Hello,
Today, after 3 slow flights, my phantom started drifting sides (GPS mode), sometimes forward, other left....and so.

I landed it for check and the LED was ORANGE-ORANGE (means ATTI mode - non centered Throtle ok). That could be normal but EEK :eek: Right mode stick was IN GPS mode all time.

Summary: After testing in Naza Assistant, it appears GPS NEEDED. GPS option doesn't appears in Menu Selection. No more green LED lights in any stick mode.
I went to field ant tested. Just ATTI mode, it flies perfect ATTI mode (Zero GPS mode).

I opened shell and checked:

a) GPS module: Perfect, no broken, no scratches, nothing.
b) GPS wires that goes to NAZA: Perfect, tested with "extreme to extreme signal" tester.
c) GPS wires that goes to Compass: Perfect, tested with "extreme to extreme signal"
d) Compass module: Intact and wires fits OK.

No crashes, GPS stops working while flying !

What is wrong here ?
It can be damage the GPS module or the Compass Module ?.
Check these images in Naza Assistant. Any help appreciated.

a5922124-186-GPS-Error1.jpg

a5922125-115-GPS-Error2.jpg

stargazer75 said:
I've heard of someone else resolving a similar issue by re-calibrating the compass.

+1 for this although a poor compass calibration should throw a red/orange light before take off.. The compass cable goes through the shell and plugs directly into the GPS module (on the non Phantom Naza's the compass is actually mounted onto the GPS module). If it gets unplugged it will throw an error.

See pic of the module here (not my pic): [http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/...3/a5429226-9-Phantom GPS 001.jpg?d=1357577319

So.... calibrate the compass. Check the cable connection and if needed open up the shell and make sure it is all connected inside. A heavy bump could easily dislodge the cable out of it:

I have also noticed when testing inside the Phantom that if you unplug the compass it will flash orange orange (i forget how many times) and it won't engage GPS mode at all. Sounds to me like your compass either died or got disconnected.

Maybe worth calling the company you got it from before opening it up and tinkering too much. They will probably tell you to do exactly that but better to check to avoid warranty issues.
If you do open it and find everything is ok then either buy a new compass which is very cheap (or ask your supplier to send one under warranty). If that fails I'd send it back as it could be the GPS module itself which should be a warranty job.

Good luck with it.

Jumanoc,

I had the same problem. thought I did a compass cal successfully but test flight still had the drifting problem. I did compass calibration for the second time and it was successful. Phantom is now flying as it should. I am going to start doing compass calibration before each flight.!!

Thanks,

Blair

Thanks, i tried that but no fixed, so i'm waiting for a new compass + wire from dealer.

The compass may have been effected by a strong magnet you should try this as in the DJI demo video it could help.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7Kf3uo93I[/youtube]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1