Gps and Compass

Reaction score
I am guessing the GPS and compass work together? So what happens in Atti mode, do both of these become useless or just one of them...

in atti it still needs the compass to know which direction is which. also even in atti it does still use gps to know were it is but just dont use it to hold position.

Interesting. Today before taking off my compass callb symbol was blinking on my FPV. So I re did it, few minutes after it blinked again. So I moved the phantom to another position, it was okay then but i still was feeling a bit unsteady. In the end I took off anyway Once it wasn't there there was no blinking. Decided to toggle S2 to create the home point, s2 switch was totally dead. I landed, turned everything off started it again after that it was all good.

So the reason for my question was if in emergency if my compass failed in mid air where it would leave me. I thoght Atti would give me some sort of manual mode but guess not.

Att indead gives you a possibility for manual control. The advantage over manual mode though is that the altitude sensor is still operating, which make it far easier to fly compared to manual mode.

:D
Interested in why you had the compass probem. Did you change location >100km? Did you port the bird near a speaker or take off from metal laced concrete?

The GPS problem might be the result of high K index factor (low satelite reception) due to solar storm. Did you loose GPS lock?

MHL

Turbazz said:
Today before taking off my compass callb symbol was blinking on my FPV. So I re did it, few minutes after it blinked again. So I moved the phantom to another position, it was okay then but i still was feeling a bit unsteady.
This is typical behaviour when you take off from an area with lots of steel nearby.
You'll observe it if you try to launch from your car roof, a manhole cover or concrete with steel reinforcing underneath.
Completely normal - your Phantom was letting you know that the magnetic environment at the launch point was significantly different from what it was calibrated for.
Solution - find a better launch point.

I was actually taking off my car roof, its usally ok but today was weird. I may have had it close to a speaker in the car. I shall try again soon and be very prudent. How are you guys observing solar activity? App?
Also another thing I noticed is my video transmission was absolutely poor. One thing I did change on my setup is I had the WindSurfer, not sure if this would effect anything....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl