got "disconnected" mid flight!!! scared the Sh#* outta me....

Reaction score
I was a couple of hundred feet away....about 50 ft high......all of a sudden the screen went gray and it said disconnected. Went right back to safe to fly GPS within 2 seconds....but not before scaring the crap out of me and make me even more paranoid.......

What's the cause of this?

lol Even tho I have a few other phantoms to I will admit I almost crapped a brick. The first time the p3 went out of range. Even tho i know all the others that if they go out of the signal range it will kick in to return to home. But when it did it on the p3 and just to be sure it was going to come back I tried swiping the thing on the screen and pushing the button on the remote to put it in to return home and it keep saying return to home failed. OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not what I wanted to see on my screen when it was about a mile away. That got me a bit panicked. when it keep saying that and i keep trying and trying and keep getting the message. LUCKILY tho they work just like all the rest of the phantoms and it did actually go in to rth all on its own and when I reviewed the video I could tell that it did it as soon as it was at the last place I seen on the screen and before i even tried to swipe the screen and push the button. BUT boy did they have my leg pulled for a bit when the message keep coming up saying rth failed. I thought for sure I was going to be having to do a search and rescue mission for my brand new bird.

I had a similar thing happen on my first long flight (about 5000ft) At furthest out I had transient loss of video so I headed for home. Got within 2000ft and got the 'disconnected' Waited, walked to better spot, never reconnected. Of course on the disconnect I let hands off controls.

Figured it was:
1) Fly away
2) Dropped from sky
3) Hovering right where it was supposed to be.

Thankfully it was three. Never could get app to reconnect until I turned remote controller off, that triggered immediate RTH flawlessly, turned remote back on and got reconnected but let it RTH anyhow.

Hasn't happened since.

Reactions: snerd
I had a similar thing happen on my first long flight (about 5000ft) At furthest out I had transient loss of video so I headed for home. Got within 2000ft and got the 'disconnected' Waited, walked to better spot, never reconnected. Of course on the disconnect I let hands off controls.

Figured it was:
1) Fly away
2) Dropped from sky
3) Hovering right where it was supposed to be.

Thankfully it was three. Never could get app to reconnect until I turned remote controller off, that triggered immediate RTH flawlessly, turned remote back on and got reconnected but let it RTH anyhow.

Hasn't happened since.

Thanks guys. That's good to know.

what happened to me today is the following :
i was about 1.2 Khm away and 100 meters high. (3000 ft and 300 ft) and lost signal.
I hit the RTH button and the ph3 started coming back.
Now the Red button "No signal" stayed like that even that it came at 20 ft close to me. had to close everything and turn them back on.

What worries me is that i had full image with no disconnections and also full control of the ph3..just it stayed with NO SIGNAL.

Any ideas ?

using phantom 3 professional with galaxy Tab 8" T-310

what happened to me today is the following :
i was about 1.2 Khm away and 100 meters high. (3000 ft and 300 ft) and lost signal.
I hit the RTH button and the ph3 started coming back.
Now the Red button "No signal" stayed like that even that it came at 20 ft close to me. had to close everything and turn them back on.

What worries me is that i had full image with no disconnections and also full control of the ph3..just it stayed with NO SIGNAL.

Any ideas ?

using phantom 3 professional with galaxy Tab 8" T-310
software bug. if you can see the feed, and can control the bird, clearly the no signal message is incorrect.

I had the same problem but after the firmware upgrade 1.1.9. It never happened with the 1.1.8. I'm really paranoid about this, looking around in all the forums and sites about this issue, and I think there is a bug in the new firmware, I'm almost sure of that. For that reason, I'm really scared to fly my P3 to long distance...I don't want to loose my bird!!!! :(

I've done about 20 or so flights with my P3A and yesterday had my first "scare" when the warning message on a red background at the top of the screen came on "signal lost" or similar words, and RTH initiated automatically. Then I noticed an aircraft about B777 size rising on its climb out of Sydney Australia airport some 3 klms from me (runway is about 7/8 klms from where I was flying). I then pushed the RTH button on the controller and regained manual control and the flight went as planned. Just got me wondering, could that full size aircraft have caused that disconnection? I use Flightradar 24 and at the spot where I was aircraft are at about 2000ft. Any comments/thoughts? Could there be a connection here?

I've done about 20 or so flights with my P3A and yesterday had my first "scare" when the warning message on a red background at the top of the screen came on "signal lost" or similar words, and RTH initiated automatically. Then I noticed an aircraft about B777 size rising on its climb out of Sydney Australia airport some 3 klms from me (runway is about 7/8 klms from where I was flying). I then pushed the RTH button on the controller and regained manual control and the flight went as planned. Just got me wondering, could that full size aircraft have caused that disconnection? I use Flightradar 24 and at the spot where I was aircraft are at about 2000ft. Any comments/thoughts? Could there be a connection here?

I don't think so. I think you have the same problem than me and many people. I almost sure that it's a firmware bug. Did you upgrade to the 1.1.9?

Yes 1.1.9 installed. Must have been a coincidence. I'm flying at the same location again today, will see if it happens again. I was impressed with the RTH kicking in and then being able to over ride and go back to manual control all within seconds.

This is the main reason i don't let DJI Pilot check for updates, and keep 1.1.8...Why fix something that is allready working, later when they release a firmware fixing a bug, improving functionality, or something worth for me i will do the chain of updates, but for now, no thank you im NOT updating...

Reactions: FELIPE RABANAL
This is the main reason i don't let DJI Pilot check for updates, and keep 1.1.8...Why fix something that is allready working, later when they release a firmware fixing a bug, improving functionality, or something worth for me i will do the chain of updates, but for now, no thank you im NOT updating...

ufff, If I just could downgrade the firmware... :(

You thinking the FLIR system ? Cause no that would not have an effect on the signal.

You thinking the FLIR system ? Cause no that would not have an effect on the signal.
I went back today for another flight at the same location and headed off in the same direction. At about 400' high and 4500' out I got the "no signal" message. Waited a few seconds for RTH to commence, nothing. Pushed RTH on the TX, it started heading back. Cancelled the RTH and "ready to fly" is showing. Started heading outbound again, at about 5000' same thing happens again. Manual RTH, then cancel, then "ready to fly" shows, Head out again to 6000', happy with that, hit manual RTH, it's heading back too slowly against a headwind and I'll be lucky to reach homepoint so I cancel RTH and fly manual home at higher speed against the headwind. All good land with 20% battery...puts you off a little hearing the warning beeps when the quad is close to home and watching the quad and not the screen! So yesterdays hiccup was not caused by a full sized aircraft, I thought it unlikely, but just asked if anyone knew of a similar happening. All good and thanks to those who replied.

Same here, happened on last flight. I only wanted a night / sunset shot. Went to a park, flew straight up to 400 ft and was making camera adjustments for aperture and sh speed, then blank screen and DISCONNECTED! Nearly full panic, then I moved the sticks and it responded. I was lucky I could see its lights straight up on clear night and saw the response to my commands. Flew it back to ground immediately. Never reconnected. Attempted on / off of aircraft with new batt, and RC but no. Then I restarted my Samsung Galaxy S5 and then the aircraft and RC and got a connection. Packed up and went home. Still leary, but I need to know so I'm flying today in large area where I can always get to it. I did a fly over water shot and it was AMAZING so I want to trust this new toy / tool of mine and keep it going. I simply have issues with $1500 flying away.

Oh, sidebar....saw another post about drone finder tool and have seen it before. EXPENSIVE! I'm considering something called Tile. Only $20 or 4 for $70 and can stick it to it and may help find it. I have to look at it again, but I think range is decent and I think it also sounds off if you trigger it to from your phone. Comments?

Same here, happened on last flight. I only wanted a night / sunset shot. Went to a park, flew straight up to 400 ft and was making camera adjustments for aperture and sh speed, then blank screen and DISCONNECTED! Nearly full panic, then I moved the sticks and it responded. I was lucky I could see its lights straight up on clear night and saw the response to my commands. Flew it back to ground immediately. Never reconnected. Attempted on / off of aircraft with new batt, and RC but no. Then I restarted my Samsung Galaxy S5 and then the aircraft and RC and got a connection. Packed up and went home. Still leary, but I need to know so I'm flying today in large area where I can always get to it. I did a fly over water shot and it was AMAZING so I want to trust this new toy / tool of mine and keep it going. I simply have issues with $1500 flying away.

Oh, sidebar....saw another post about drone finder tool and have seen it before. EXPENSIVE! I'm considering something called Tile. Only $20 or 4 for $70 and can stick it to it and may help find it. I have to look at it again, but I think range is decent and I think it also sounds off if you trigger it to from your phone. Comments?

It's possible your issue was because you went straight up, having the controller positioned directly underneath the aircraft is not really advised because that is where the RC signal is likely to be the weakest due to the direction of signal path from RC to the aircraft always best to have the aircraft offset from your position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.