Aircraft Disconnected Mid Flight

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been reading these forums for about a good week now here and there. I got my P3S about 2 weeks ago. I did about 4 flights in beginners mode. Wanted to go up a little higher than the 30 meters so I said the hell with it I'm going to go off beginners mode. I turned off beginners mode and went up P-GPS. 9 satellites. Now in all 5 flights in all locations I have been to it always gives me a wifi-interference warning. So this is what happened. I was flying up. Just wanted to get a nice ariel shot. So I was about 60M up and I started getting a warning of weak signal and the video started getting choppy. All of a sudden everything just goes black and it says aircraft disconnected. I PANICKED!! It just hovered. I tried to do RTH nothing it didn't get the commands. I don't remember the warning.

At this point, I said well its over. I was over a lake too.I just kept pressing down on the throttle and out of nowhere, it started to respond. I was in control again. The app was still black and it said aircraft disconnected. I was able to land it no problem. Could not get it back to connect. I had to delete the wifi connection to the phantom and reconnect for the app to see the P3. I then flew it for about 10 mins everything was good. Now some questions.

1. Say I would not have gained control of the drone would it have just RTH on its own?.

2. I read another thread about someone getting the drone replaced because it was running good out the box. I have calibrated the compass every time I fly somewhere new. Could this be a faulty drone?

3. If this happens again what would be the best action for me to take other than panicking?

I attached a screen shot of when the **** hit the fan.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.PNG
    IMG_0178.PNG
    302.4 KB · Views: 613
Just wanted to add something. I started doing some research and noticed that I should have done an IMU calibration out the box. I did that on a flat and leveled surface. Now I did read where it said while its calibrating do touch it or move it. I did not, I left it on the table and let it calibrate until it reached 100%. Now once it was calibrated I went to turn it off and dumb me hit the table. I'm thinking at this point I'm in the clear because the calibration had already finished. Should I just say the hell with it and calibrate the IMU again or I was in the clear since it already finished the calibration before the bump?

Im interested in the reply to the original post...Im somewhat new at this..was flying over a farmers field today when it just disconnected...hit the RTH button but nothing.....a bit panicked i walked towards where i last lost contact..and started to hear the buzzing noise...as i got closer, there it was happily hovering....i was able to control it and brought it down safetly...but my questions are the same as above..would it of RTH when battery was low....what options do i have for finding it....how to recoonect it durng flight....
Thanks
Paul

Did you hear 'the voice' say home point recorded before or at the time of liftoff? If not, that may be why it just hovered when the app crashed.
Never take off until you hear this.
Check to see what the RTH mode is set to. It will either be Land, Hover or return to home point. If the bird has no signal it will do whatever this is set to.
If the AC is within 60 feet of home point and RTH is triggered, it will land wherever it is.
Once IMU cal was done, bumping the table should not have any effect.
No need to re-calibrate compass unless you travel 100 miles or so from where it was last done.
You should have control over the AC even when the app crashes unless no signal is reaching the AC, then with no signal for 30 seconds, RTH will engage.
You should test RTH a few times to be sure it is se right, (RTH attitude high enough to clear any obstacles) and so you know how it behaves in this mode. I set mine to 40 meters altitude. If I am lower than that it will ascend straight up, then a straight line to home point, then straight down to land. If you are higher than the set RTH altitude, it will go straight to home point, then straight down to land.

Hello everyone. I have been reading these forums for about a good week now here and there. I got my P3S about 2 weeks ago. I did about 4 flights in beginners mode. Wanted to go up a little higher than the 30 meters so I said the hell with it I'm going to go off beginners mode. I turned off beginners mode and went up P-GPS. 9 satellites. Now in all 5 flights in all locations I have been to it always gives me a wifi-interference warning. So this is what happened. I was flying up. Just wanted to get a nice ariel shot. So I was about 60M up and I started getting a warning of weak signal and the video started getting choppy. All of a sudden everything just goes black and it says aircraft disconnected. I PANICKED!! It just hovered. I tried to do RTH nothing it didn't get the commands. I don't remember the warning.

At this point, I said well its over. I was over a lake too.I just kept pressing down on the throttle and out of nowhere, it started to respond. I was in control again. The app was still black and it said aircraft disconnected. I was able to land it no problem. Could not get it back to connect. I had to delete the wifi connection to the phantom and reconnect for the app to see the P3. I then flew it for about 10 mins everything was good. Now some questions.

1. Say I would not have gained control of the drone would it have just RTH on its own?.

2. I read another thread about someone getting the drone replaced because it was running good out the box. I have calibrated the compass every time I fly somewhere new. Could this be a faulty drone?

3. If this happens again what would be the best action for me to take other than panicking?

I attached a screen shot of when the **** hit the fan.
Hopefully you have read the manual inside out before you stepped up your game plan. Controller orientation is very important with any of the phantoms and you may not have had the antenna orientation correct with respect to the drone. Wifi inteference is another killer in your flying area, so maybe choose an area that is clean and try again. Your RTH setting if correctly enabled will bring your drone back to you at the height you have set it at if you lose your control signal. Video signal is usually the first to fall over and you panic the first couple of times until you realise that if you have a green light on your controller, you still have control over the drone. If the light turns red on the controller, you have lost your control signal and the drone will return as per your RTH setting. If you lose control signal within a 20 mtr radius, it will land where it is.
As for your compass calibration, do it the once in a metal and electrical inteference free area and leave it unless the app prompts you to perform a calibration.
It sounds like your PS3 is fine, just practice slowly and build your confidence.

It is very important to keep the antennas at 90 degree parallel and unobstructed to the aircraft.

Also, keep in mind that hitting "RTH" when it's disconnected will do nothing. This is logical. If it's disconnected, it can't get the command to RTH. Fortunately, RTH will kick in automatically if it disconnects.

Paradox: I lost signal and need it back but I can't tell it to come back, but it'll come back anyway......

Reactions: Pharm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic