Got a shield today.

I have the original with the stylus, which I like, I have a refurb one coming, but the compass on mine is still messed up :(
its the only single issue I have

Doesn't come with a charger, but, if you have a current Samsung 6 or 7 phone, the phone charger kicks out enough amps to charge the shield pretty quick.
Flew using the K-1 for the first time tonight, very nice! No stuttering, no lagging, stunning images.
Pretty hard android to beat for the sale price, very happy & thanks for the tip!

How in the **** did you get that deal? Was it just something they had in the store? Nothing on their web site even comes close...
It was online through Best Buy. All iPads Pro's were $100 off, Best Buy certified open box was $30 more off (would have been $50 off non-certified, but why take that chance!), and that was then combined with a Back to School $100 off any current price on an iPad Pro, iBook, or iMac (refurbished were excluded) for students prior to August 6th! Sick, eh? :cool: Called Apple with the serial number and was told the device also still qualifies for the regular Apple one year warranty on all new iPad Pro's. Restored my Mini 4 contents to it from an iCloud backup and it's now flying my P4 with both DJI GO and Litchi with a bigger, brighter screen, and a faster processor, and supposedly should allow me to play the smaller 4K video files directly from the MiniSD card with an iFlash adapter which is enroute! 30 day return privilege, as an Elite member.

Buy the New SHIELD tablet K1 - NVIDIA SHIELD Store
It's powered by the NVIDIA Tegra® K1 processor which features a 192-core and the NVIDIA Kepler™ GPU and 2.2 GHz quad-core CPU.
So it's a "performance" device.
That's be expected since NVIDIA's business is graphics cards which have been used for anything from brute-force hacking to mining crypto-currencies, playing game and video editing work of course.
And a picture from our friends at www.androidcentral.com
View attachment 61396
Out of stock now, again...:rolleyes:
It's like drooling over a super model you can never have...:cool:

Regarding some posts about different range people are getting compared between iOS device and K1 on same location I had a similar feeling so I did a test. P3P, Stock, $3 Windsurfers, antennas in vertical position, Airplane mode, DJI Go on auto settings. Everything latest.

K1 - HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
iPhone 6 - HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I did notice that K1 has some signal problems if flight requires antennas on RC in that ~45 degrees position. Is it possible that magnets in K1 (which are pretty strong) cause some interference then?

Last edited:
Reactions: MK47
Yes. But my conclusion is that there is no difference between devices. I noticed some signal problems when flying witk K1 on very low altitude over water or horizontal flights from elevated position when I set my antennas in 45 degrees position. For some reason I get more range with iPhone then.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This whole thread has got me curious... I came from a P2 and got my P3P in May, and surprisingly got a K1 at the beginning of June. Most of all my flights have been just straight up, and I've been noticing lately that at 350 feet or so I get breakups every once in a while. I know that sometimes straight up isn't too efficient for antennas, so yesterday I got to go to a big field to finally fly horizontal. My AC was maybe 200 feet away and I noticed some glitches in the display, which seemed weird. Could have been interference, but it was a wide open field next to a school (I'm the computer tech for this school department...).

Anyway... I didn't think of testing it with my iPhone 6+, but I may just have to, to see if there's something weird going on. I don't want to drop the Shield like a hot potato unless I'm sure there's an issue somewhere...

This whole thread has got me curious... I came from a P2 and got my P3P in May, and surprisingly got a K1 at the beginning of June. Most of all my flights have been just straight up, and I've been noticing lately that at 350 feet or so I get breakups every once in a while. I know that sometimes straight up isn't too efficient for antennas, so yesterday I got to go to a big field to finally fly horizontal. My AC was maybe 200 feet away and I noticed some glitches in the display, which seemed weird. Could have been interference, but it was a wide open field next to a school (I'm the computer tech for this school department...).

Anyway... I didn't think of testing it with my iPhone 6+, but I may just have to, to see if there's something weird going on. I don't want to drop the Shield like a hot potato unless I'm sure there's an issue somewhere...
shield is one awesome tablet I fly out over 2 miles all the time have no problems with feed make sure wifi is turned off might be your problem

you went straight up, even with a boosted amplified set up, you will lose signal, remember, the antenna orientation matters

Reactions: pomonabill220
Ahh... ok, cool. I'll give it a shot. Thanks. :)
Let me know what you find.

I still prefer to fly with my phone (android) just cause I don't like how IOS handles map caching.

Still on the lookout for the shield k1...
If they ever go back for sale lol

Let me know what you find.

I still prefer to fly with my phone (android) just cause I don't like how IOS handles map caching.

Still on the lookout for the shield k1...
If they ever go back for sale lol

I flew for a bit this afternoon. Funny thing was that when I took it up to 400 feet, I totally forgot to turn off the wireless, but I had the antennas straight out (parallel to the ground) instead of at a 45 degree angle, and from what I saw it looked good. After I realized about the wireless I brought my AC down and turned off the wireless, then took it back up (as a local police officer was watching... all good though...), and no dropouts after going up 400 feet again. So not sure what was up, maybe interference from somewhere/something... but I'll keep my eye on it.

I guess I was lucky to get my Shield. Got it in late May at B & H Photo.

Reactions: flpholt
Does anyone have issues with the K1 charging super slow? Mine takes about 24 hours to charge from 70% to 100%. I have tried two different qualcom chargers, and HTC charger and Ipad charger and about a dozen cables, one was a 20 gauge charge only cable specifically designed for fast chargers. Doing a Google search and it seems to be a common problem. The same chargers will charge my iPad mini4 from 10% to 100% in about two hours.
I use the Ampere app and it shows a low charge of 120 mA and high of 760 mA. Something is not right.
I have a K1 also, and from what I have read, the amper app is not accurate because the tablet does not have any way to monitor the charge current (no hardware inside).
I bought a USB power meter and with a 2 amp charger and a good cable, i can charge at the 2 amp rate and it takes about 1 hour from 60-100%.
I would not trust the app, but 24 hours is WAY too long!

I am hearing rumors that the K1 has been discontinued and that Nvida may be out of the tablet business.
It is not discontinued... just out of stock due to the huge popularity.

forget about sunshades! K1 and HeadPlay goggles is the best combination in the Phantom industry today.

It is not discontinued... just out of stock due to the huge popularity.

+1, I agree, I've been in touch with Nvidia quite a lot recently and it IS because they are so popular they have almost run out of stock, I had a small problem with my shield K1 got a RMA, as soon as they received it I got a new one withing 48 hours from the NL.
by the way if you get one please update to Marshmallow 6.0.1 then the patch that takes it to 6.0.2, now when I charge it to 100%, switch off, after 3 days switch it back on and it's still at 100%, before with lollipop the battery would run down from 100% to 75% in a matter of hours, and the compass had a lot to be desired but after the update all ok.
make sure you do a 3D compass calibration, after that you'll find the compass works 100%

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers