Got a lil bit lucky ...

Reaction score
I have a couple of P3Ps and its tough to keep them all tip-top tested and ready to fly because of time constraints. Day or so ago, I got out P3P #2 charged a battery and took here up to blow out the cobwebs. Fortunately, this lil check ride saved the bird. Had I done a waypoint mission she would have probably went over to the drone "other side". I put her up about 20 feet and started in on the telemetry. Within 60 seconds this battery went from 98% to 63% and 15 seconds later it was down to 20% or so. I landed it in about 10 more seconds and red bars warning that the battery was at 6%. Basically, she went from a full to charge to 6% in less that 90 seconds approximately.

After depletion attempts, and bad green blinks on the battery, I stuck it back in to see cell data on the DJI app. Cells 1-3 were all about 4.2x and #4 as 3.2v ... and a damaged battery message. This battery had less than 25 cycles on it despite its age.

This is my first DJI battery failure. Researching LiPo disposal options. Good thing I didn't attempt any serious missions with this power supply.

The tech for batteries to selftest on power up has been available for quite some time I would wager. At the price points we are paying for prosumer equipment, manufacturer's need to step up to the plate.

Agree fully,,I had p4 battery take off at 100% secondslr later a critical battery error,,I tryed hard to get down in altitude and back over me house,,was very wobbly and had not much control,,then at 72ft it decided to shut off causing free fall onto concrete tile roof (my house lucky)but out come killed me p4 which was out of warranty and yes at 320 per battery I was shatted,,just lately been buying parts but unsure if it will ever have my trust again,,it even broke the concrete tile on impact,,could do nothing but watch in disbelief,,,I did send dji a email on this but no joy,,,,all this happen at 400ft,scary stuff and $1700 gone just like that

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree fully,,I had p4 battery take off at 100% secondslr later a critical battery error,,I tryed hard to get down in altitude and back over me house,,was very wobbly and had not much control,,then at 72ft it decided to shut off causing free fall onto concrete tile roof (my house lucky)but out come killed me p4 which was out of warranty and yes at 320 per battery I was shatted,,just lately been buying parts but unsure if it will ever have my trust again,,it even broke the concrete tile on impact,,could do nothing but watch in disbelief,,,I did send dji a email on this but no joy,,,,all this happen at 400ft,scary stuff and $1700 gone just like that
Wow, Scarry stuff. Never realized how expensive this hobby is on your area of Earth. Weird ways these birds die. Guess if you fly allot it's gonna happen. Sorry for your loss.

Self-test of battery is actually made by the machine on power up ... what it cannot do is detect if power drain will kill it.

There are various reasons for fast power reduction of a cell ... but it needs the load to do it.

Unfortunately nothings perfect in life and batterys can fail even when relatively new. I have various LiPo's for models that literally within a few flights have 'curled up their anodes' and refuse to play.

You are lucky that you found out before committing to a more adventurous flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4