Compared to P3 (not even the P4):

Pros:

- Very portable
- Decent price point

Cons:

- Similar/same optics and image sensor to P3/P4
- Worse battery life
- Worse control range
- Integrated controller (some would argue as a Pro, but I like being able to switch tablets or carry a backup)
- No SDK or other ecosystem for 3rd party integration
- No "VPS" or other ground sensing/hold system

~~~

So basically.. it's an entry-level "toy drone".

And DJI is about to release their much smaller competitor which will no doubt be price-competitive with the Karma.

I'm no DJI fanboi, but other than portability, the Karma isn't even competitive with my 1+ years old P3P.
Even the GoPro Hero 5 is simply a Hero 4 Black in a new case.

Pretty disappointing announcement... was really hoping for some competition in this space... but I guess we'll have to wait for another company to take on DJI.

Anyone know what the price point is expected at?

Wonder if the Karma is gonna be so awesome that it'll make me wanna sell my P3P.....:p

wait until u see dji mavic on 27th Sep 2016. the u decide. coz i could feel its way better then karma. definitely. to me no other brand can beat DJI. they are the one who started this drone phenomena. i bet karma would face alot of problem...first time flight.

On their website, the range is listed as 1000 meters and the altitude is 4500 meters. I suspect they mixed up the numbers.

I bet the range is 4500m and the altitude maxes out at 1000m. This makes the most sense to me.

Watching the videos on you tube it doesn't seem like the gopro can pan up and down during flight. Am I wrong? If not, that's a negative.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

On their website, the range is listed as 1000 meters and the altitude is 4500 meters. I suspect they mixed up the numbers.

I bet the range is 4500m and the altitude maxes out at 1000m. This makes the most sense to me.

Oh my......4500 meters is the flight ceiling MSL, not the max flight altitude AGL.

Last edited by a moderator:

no

the range is 1000m and the operating ceiling is 4500m (ie max take off hight )

Would never buy the Karma myself. I hope GoPro marketing is good though, and quite a few people buy it. That would bring down Phantom price/increase camera quality for same price in next model, which would bring donw prices on the Inspire, which is what I'm going for.

Next version of the X5 Pro without that shitty bitrate limit is going to be goooood.

There will be a lot of crashes from GoPro users buying first drone. :cool:

Drone users getting first gopro system won't crash but will struggle with some aspects of getting best from the Hero 4 and 5.
Price seems very competitive considering you also get a very nice Osmo style gimbal, no need to buy tablet and very compact system all in included case.
I am impressed - and interested...
But not just now.

When it was flying, does the drone have to carry the grip or not?

I'm trying to say is, Modular system seems to be a selling point. But if it result is an unnecessary dead weight, won't that actually means you trade the modular feature for the flying efficiency (i.e. speed, flying time, etc.)

The battery lasts 20 minutes (max). The other specs are available here.
And is that with or without the camera, the illustration of the drone shows it without the camera, so maybe without, but it's a 'big' battery in terms of output. I wonder how it flies with and without the camera, a big C of G change, I'm thinking they, like Lily (remember them, just released now) have missed the boat..

Have you seen the specs? They claim Karma go go up to 14000 feet lol....is it not restricted to 500 metres like the rest of us
Hi Thomas, that's a maximum ceiling, not an altitude from take off, DJI say 6,000 metres for the P3, but the firmware won't allow you more than 500 metres from 'home', and I'm sure the GoPro is the same.

I think the altitude refers to the highest point it can be operated, ie up a mountain, not height from home point, DJI say 6000 metres for the P3, thin air and all that...

Reactions: Clipper707
I think I've asked this but don't recall seeing a response yet.

Has anyone seen anything with regards to weatherproofing, waterproofing, or lack thereof? I haven't seen any reference to it so I'm assuming there is none (It's like most of the others in this regard.).

I think I've asked this but don't recall seeing a response yet.

Has anyone seen anything with regards to weatherproofing, waterproofing, or lack thereof? I haven't seen any reference to it so I'm assuming there is none (It's like most of the others in this regard.).
Video is going to be affected by drops on the lens in any case, low priority realistically - but it would be nice to know a sudden shower wouldn't hurt it.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Video is going to be affected by drops on the lens in any case, low priority realistically - but it would be nice to know a sudden shower wouldn't hurt it.

Absolutely. And there seems to be great concern over losing an engine, battery power, etc., and dropping in the drink, which I share to some extent. I guess at this point we must assume it doesn't float since no propaganda supporting it does was used in the promo material. I would certainly think they would have touted this and shouted it loudly had it been so. I certainly would have.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj