GoPro HERO3+: Black Edition

DeweyAXD said:
lilwheat said:
Frank B - I look forward to hearing the results (especially the low light, battery life and heat build up!). Be wary of being a first buyer though.... GoPro (like DJI) have a bad history for letting the first buyers be the beta testers for their products. Someones got to do it though so good on you!

Well, actually- I don't plan on taking any pictures, only strutting around showing off my new GoPro Hero3 PLUS. :lol:

FrankB said:
DeweyAXD said:
lilwheat said:
Frank B - I look forward to hearing the results (especially the low light, battery life and heat build up!). Be wary of being a first buyer though.... GoPro (like DJI) have a bad history for letting the first buyers be the beta testers for their products. Someones got to do it though so good on you!

Well, actually- I don't plan on taking any pictures, only strutting around showing off my new GoPro Hero3 PLUS. :lol:

:lol: - maybe get a big gold chain and hook it to the camera for that true bling... you'll have the biatches lining up :lol:

BruceTS said:
I will be passing on this model, as it isn't enough of an upgrade for me to warrant the expense. I'd like to see them go back to the bigger SD card format and larger/longer battery life like the Hero1, which I still use for offroading. I'll most likely purchase the new waterproof case, since I do like the smaller size and will work for one of my projects.

I must admit I find the microSd form factor a pain in the arse.... I would be happy to have a built in 64/128gb on a cam like this and then a microSd for expansion. That way the internal memory can be matched to the cameras capability and no more Sandisk Ultra issues (unless you expand). Battery life is always going to be an issue with something this small and power hungry. To be honest given the size of the batt it does a pretty good job.

You can use the new + housing and battery in the hero 3 cameras. Im only seeing a better lens other then those and the rest is software. Not sure about the sensor lets wait til ifixit pulls one apart but a friend of mine will be ripping one apart as soon as he gets it too. A bit of a strange release as I had heard of the + cams quite a while back and rumours were of only minor upgrades in the black. Does this mean that the hero4k or pro version will be here before next October?

Sandisk extreme cards have now also been added to the support list but it seems that pushing to 4k30 in the current form factor just isnt possible yet and they didnt want to put all their faith in sd extreme cards to work at the bitrates needed.

I dont think there is enough for many current black owners to get the new camera, guys that dont have a black will have this cam as a great option. I would also like to see a tear down of the silver+ as this may be exactly the same camera simply with a crippled firmware I think.

rilot said:
I'm not sure why you think housings and backs etc. won't work. It looks to be the exact same size as the previous Hero 3.
The housing is smaller, the 3 and 3+ look the same. I called them and they said only the case is smaller.

I've found that on my regular vizio led tv, 4k and 1080 look the exact same. I would think if I had a 4k tv, I could see a difference. But I feel like you reach a point where you have too much. Movies shot for IMAX screens that come out on dvd never look at good at home because normal tvs don't have the processors and resolution that an IMAX has. It seems like a great new gopro but I find that no matter what I film in, I have to reduce to quality to edit it anyways and by the time you upload it to youtube, the footage from a black edition and a white edition end up coming out about the same.

FrankB said:
GoPro claims the camera has 33% more resolution- is that true?

Its possible that the weaker modes in the black have been improved. Not much in depth testing has been done yet so very hard to say either way but the official video looks pretty good and the lens appears to have less fisheye distortion around the edges of the frame.

lilwheat said:
Nice find! This is a must for flying with the Zenmuse. I'm curious to see if they will sell the waterproof housing as being backwards compatible to the hero 3. Would be nice to save some bulk there for some other things I use my hero on.

I used the contact form to ask GoPro about the compatibility of the Hero 3+ Waterproof housing to the Hero 3 Black and this was the response:
Hi Chris,
Thank you for contacting GoPro support and I am here to help.

Yes, you can fit your HERO3 camera in the new Hero3 + housing as both of cameras are in the same size. It will be sold separately in the future, however it's currently out of stock. Please keep an eye on our website.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,
Rex
GoPro Support

So there it is, cameras are the same size. I should've also asked if the newer higher capacity battery would be compatible. That would be great as well.

I have a Hero Cam HD at the moment so anything is going to be an upgrade. I may buy a Gopro White if I can get a good enough deal on it. It looks like a ton of folks on Ebay are still trying to sell the non + model of Gopro for full price so it is pretty much sit and wait for the price to drop.

martcerv said:
Here is an interesting post by Abe about the new black + camera.
http://abekislevitz.com/whats-new-with-hero3plus/

That is the kinda detail I was looking for.... interesting. Good to hear it is a hardware update mainly then with the Wifi chip and processor. I used a lumix Tz40 the other day and was staggered at the lack of latency on its wifi mode... it is literally live. This looks like an improvement on the Hero+ but not enough for reliable short range FPV (only useful if the Phantom 2 is 5.8ghz for flight like the vision of course).

I think he somes it up well in that the Hero3 is still a **** good cam (When it doesn't overheat :roll: ).... I've still got warranty on my H3 till December so lets hope if screws up again and i can take up a case for an H3+ :lol:

FrankB said:
I just bought a new (now "old") GoPro Hero3 Black for $325, but will definitely be bringing it back and, for an additional $75, getting the new Hero3 Black Plus. Not only because of the overall lighter weight, and the much better WiFi (not for use on the Phantom, as per the never yet proven warnings of interference), but, most important, the claimed 33% overall better picture quality, longer life battery, and low-light shooting features.

But, let's be honest, I also want to be able to play oneupmanship with my friends by having the newest toy.

The don't recommend flying with the wifi on as it can interfere with the radios so from what I can see the camera is 5g lighter (the water proof case is lighter than the old case but the camera itself is barely lighter and in a gimbal you won't be using the lighter case) with a slightly better battery and a wider viewing angle mode worth £100 more I'm not so sure.

justsomeguy said:
UTR said:
the camera itself is barely lighter and in a gimbal you won't be using the lighter case) with a slightly better battery and a wider viewing angle mode worth £100 more I'm not so sure.

I'm surprised that folks ignore and/or don't understand the impact of the change in the lens elements and the IQ after reading the linked article.

Lens, wifi chip and newer processor revision are the biggest hardware changes. Also battery and housing but these can be used on both original hero3 and new + cams.

The lens looks interesting and IQ looks to be a fair step up, Abes promo video shows this quite well I think.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wbvpOIIBQA[/youtube]

Though he works for gopro its still good to read his stuff as he does give pretty honest views on the products as he sees them in his use. He is also the main man responsible for the gopro official video edits and promos so it shows he knows how to get the most out of the cameras.

I have the Hero3+ and it is all the same as size. The app preview is way faster and the case is not as heavy as the 3.

DJI confirmed finally in facebook comments that the 3+ does in fact work with the zenmuse. Which means the dimensions and weight of the camera are functionally identical to the hero 3.

Great news.

dsrphotography said:
DJI confirmed finally in facebook comments that the 3+ does in fact work with the zenmuse. Which means the dimensions and weight of the camera are functionally identical to the hero 3.

Great news.

Where do you see this? How can this be? They said specifically that the Hero 3+ is lighter than the 3??

yalag said:
dsrphotography said:

Great news.

Where do you see this? How can this be? They said specifically that the Hero 3+ is lighter than the 3??

DJI Innovations posted on their facebook.

Quick update - We can confirm the new GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition camera will work with our DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal.

The actual camera is reportedly only 2g lighter than the previous model. The weight savings is in the housing. Blame marketing speak from GoPro for the lack of clarity.

dsrphotography said:
yalag said:
dsrphotography said:

Great news.

DJI Innovations posted on their facebook.

Quick update - We can confirm the new GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition camera will work with our DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal.

The actual camera is reportedly only 2g lighter than the previous model. The weight savings is in the housing. Blame marketing speak from GoPro for the lack of clarity.

Yes but 2g will throw off the balance.

yalag said:
Yes but 2g will throw off the balance.
Ok. I guess I don't know what to tell you.

I suppose it will either will work, or it won't. I'm simply conveying what DJI stated on facebook, and they are claiming it works. Whether the 2g truly throws off the balance or not, I don't have firsthand experience. Are you aware of people who have tried this already who are reporting that the balance is incorrect? Or is it just conjecture?

I'd also be interested in seeing direct measurement of the two cameras to see if there truly is a 2g difference. Has anyone weighed it themselves yet?

2g won't throw off the balance. It's the difference between having an SD card in the camera or not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4