GoPro HERO3+: Black Edition

miskatonic said:
Looks awesome but ugh $400. In 2-3 years it will be worth $50.

But so will the Phantom !! :D :D :D

So... certainly nothing worth rushing out and buying one! They've copped out and done the 'Apple' trick of not really bringing out a new product but rather bowed to pressure to release something at a given date.

What this means for us Phantom people of course is:

1. It will not fit on current Zenmuse gimbals in either v1 or v2 form.
2. There will be even greater barrel distortion on the wide setting.
3. The 'faster' WiFi is of no use since we cannot/should not use it when flying the Phantom
4. The 'improved' audio is also of no use to us since the sound of the motors/props drowns everything out anyway.
5. A lot of the existing accessories (housings, frames, backs, batteries, lcd's etc) will not fit and will necessitate buying new.
6. It is now only waterproof (in the housing) down to 131' - this means if we dunk the Phantom in deeper water than that :lol: the housing integrity will fail and we wont get our submarine footage :roll:

All, in all then, for us..... useless !! I shall order 10 of them immediately :D :D :D

I'm not sure why you think housings and backs etc. won't work. It looks to be the exact same size as the previous Hero 3.

Mosher42 said:
It's smaller geez. Check the website.

I could ask you to do the same: "20% smaller and lighter housing (waterproof to 131'/40m)" The operative word here is "housing". Referring to the waterproof housing, not the GoPro.

Read this: http://gizmodo.com/gopro-hero-3-hands-o ... 1431861328

"The dimensions of the camera's body are exactly the same as the last one, which means it'll play nicely with the original Hero 3's cases"

See how it's exactly the same size? Check facts next time before you "geez" me.

My appologies. Camera the same. Housings smaller. Either way I don't think I be upgrading just yet.

In my defence though, the email I had from gopro just keeps banging on about it being smaller and lighter. No mention of the housing. Think they should be more transparent. Gopro, not the housings!

Mosher42 said:
In my defence though, the email I had from gopro just keeps banging on about it being smaller and lighter. No mention of the housing. Think they should be more transparent. Gopro, not the housings!

Indeed. I'm just annoyed that this is not really an upgrade at all.
I wanted more control over exposure, white balance etc.

Just ordered one

Moosejaw had them in stock with free shipping. I wanted the Silver+ model but they did not have it yet. I have been using the original HD Hero and waiting to see what the new model would offer. Lens and video modes are supposed to be better. Hope they have fixed the overheating problems. Looking forward to being a beta tester.

Just for visual comparison Hero3 vs Hero3+ in housing:

large_Smaller_actual.jpg

I figured the majority would not be happy. If the housing is the only change, I could be talked into purchasing it, which might make it fit on the gimbal I am using better. I would like the camera in a protective housing rather than RAW.

Otherwise, I don't think this is a big improvement. Not worthy of leaving my current 3BE.

I would like to see some actual on Phantom footage, but I think the Sony QX100 for about the same money might be a superior solution.

D

The only upgrade is a smaller camera? Really?

I was hoping something better, at least 30fps 4k.

The only good thing about this is the decrease in the hero 3BE price.

:cry:

I for one will be VERY interested to see someone strip down a H3+ to component level and see what they have physically changed in there. They make no mention of a new sensor, board, chip etc so my synical side is wondering if they have just found a better solution for the existing firmware and packaged it as new? I doubt it but you never know :roll:

The battery is the same but 30% longer life so something is being more efficient in there, wifi preview quicker too. Interesting.

I for one am actually really pleased at this update. No need to shell out on this and we can always buy the lighter case for our H3's. I assume its realease is probably just done as an interim to keep us GoPro'ers happy while they work on the H4.... if not GoPro are in real trouble of falling behind over the next year.

Nice to see a few new accessories too like this: http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/protective-lens - best thing is all the new stuff fits the H3.

I just bought a new (now "old") GoPro Hero3 Black for $325, but will definitely be bringing it back and, for an additional $75, getting the new Hero3 Black Plus. Not only because of the overall lighter weight, and the much better WiFi (not for use on the Phantom, as per the never yet proven warnings of interference), but, most important, the claimed 33% overall better picture quality, longer life battery, and low-light shooting features.

But, let's be honest, I also want to be able to play oneupmanship with my friends by having the newest toy.

DeweyAXD said:
Nice to see a few new accessories too like this: http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/protective-lens - best thing is all the new stuff fits the H3.

Nice find! This is a must for flying with the Zenmuse. I'm curious to see if they will sell the waterproof housing as being backwards compatible to the hero 3. Would be nice to save some bulk there for some other things I use my hero on.

Deleted

Deleted... double post

lilwheat said:
DeweyAXD said:

Nice find! This is a must for flying with the Zenmuse. I'm curious to see if they will sell the waterproof housing as being backwards compatible to the hero 3. Would be nice to save some bulk there for some other things I use my hero on.

Well I can't see any changes to the actual shell of the camera from all I've seen and nearly all (if not all) the accessories on the site are saying for Hero3, Hero3+ so it seems likely.

Frank B - I look forward to hearing the results (especially the low light, battery life and heat build up!). Be wary of being a first buyer though.... GoPro (like DJI) have a bad history for letting the first buyers be the beta testers for their products. Someones got to do it though so good on you!

I will be passing on this model, as it isn't enough of an upgrade for me to warrant the expense. I'd like to see them go back to the bigger SD card format and larger/longer battery life like the Hero1, which I still use for offroading. I'll most likely purchase the new waterproof case, since I do like the smaller size and will work for one of my projects.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair