Gopro Hero+ / DJI camera lag

T0Rtur3 said:
Edit: Found that video, here it is. http://youtu.be/Cn35pgrPZ8E
Also, the phone I'm using is a Motorola Droid Razr M. So not exactly a beast in terms of hardware, and like I said I get very low lag.
That video is of the Hero 2. We're talking about Hero 3+. The lag was much improved in the newest version, and especially in the Black Edition. I've tested it with an older Samsung Galaxy S2 and the lag on the iphone is the smallest. Tested it with other devices as well, only processor power seems to matter.

I think lag in close proximity doesn't tell you anything. Once you get your Gopro mounted on the gimbal and lift your bird in the air, everything changes: the wifi signal is much weaker compared to the FC40 camera. I think the most important is the signal degradation by the metal in the gimbal, which basically touches the wifi antena of the GoPro. And, since the signal is very weak, I would think the devices automatically swich to lower speeds, thus further increasing lag. Up in the air, on the connection limit, the lag is at least 2 secs, thus making impossible to fly FPV safely.

As I said in the beginning, for a GoPro, the wifi connection is only useful for framing the shot. If you really want to fly FPV, you'll need a separate FPV system, either one that takes video from the GoPro output, or one with a second dedicated FPV camera. More seasoned flyers will recommend the latter, because with a fixed (non-gimballed) camera, you can see the copter pitch.

BladHaund said:
T0Rtur3 said:
Edit: Found that video, here it is. http://youtu.be/Cn35pgrPZ8E
Also, the phone I'm using is a Motorola Droid Razr M. So not exactly a beast in terms of hardware, and like I said I get very low lag.
That video is of the Hero 2. We're talking about Hero 3+. The lag was much improved in the newest version, and especially in the Black Edition. I've tested it with an older Samsung Galaxy S2 and the lag on the iphone is the smallest. Tested it with other devices as well, only processor power seems to matter.

I think lag in close proximity doesn't tell you anything. Once you get your Gopro mounted on the gimbal and lift your bird in the air, everything changes: the wifi signal is much weaker compared to the FC40 camera. I think the most important is the signal degradation by the metal in the gimbal, which basically touches the wifi antena of the GoPro. And, since the signal is very weak, I would think the devices automatically swich to lower speeds, thus further increasing lag. Up in the air, on the connection limit, the lag is at least 2 secs, thus making impossible to fly FPV safely.

As I said in the beginning, for a GoPro, the wifi connection is only useful for framing the shot. If you really want to fly FPV, you'll need a separate FPV system, either one that takes video from the GoPro output, or one with a second dedicated FPV camera. More seasoned flyers will recommend the latter, because with a fixed (non-gimballed) camera, you can see the copter pitch.

Since you obviously didn't bother to read my previous post, I'll try to sum this up in bullet items so maybe it's easier for you.

:arrow: I have flown with the GoPro attached to gimbal. I am getting similar range as I was with my FC40 camera. Not exact measurements, but around 100-200ft I would say.

:arrow: Again, flying with the GoPro attached to gimbal, I am getting around half second lag. This obviously varies, but I haven't seen more than 1-2 second lag.

:arrow: All you have to do is type in GoPro iPhone lag into youtube, and you will find lots of videos showing the difference between iPhone and Android. Not just Hero2's, but Hero3's as well. If your tests showed the iPhone to be faster, I either doubt that you really tested it, or you are just the exception to what seems to be the rule.

:arrow: Obviously if you want to fly true, serious FPV, you'll want to setup a serious FPV system. That has nothing to do with comparing the FC40 camera to GoPro though, so please try to stay on topic.

:arrow: The GoPro antenna is on the inside of the device, and the housing is plastic. Not sure how the gimbal's metal ever touches the antenna, not to mention every gimbal on the market has a slightly different GoPro mount. Maybe you could take a photo of your GoPro antenna to show me where my gimbal would be touching it.

Sorry if my post comes off as passive aggressive, or even outright aggressive, I just get annoyed when people avoid key parts of a conversation so they can make their own assertions. It all comes down to you claiming the video posted of the lag test was "completely wrong" just because you couldn't replicate the results. Not wanting to admit that YOU were completely wrong, you persisted in arguing that your results were what everyone would receive. If you still don't understand that you can, in fact, get an acceptable lag response for dabbling in FPV, then I don't know what else to tell you. I'm done with this conversation, have a nice day, and fly safe.

I've just bought a GoPro 3+ Black and when connected to my HTC One the lag is horrendous - close on 4 seconds even when next to the camera. When using the same phone with the FC 40 the lag was closer to 2 seconds and with the Panasonic GF6 I have its near enough 1 second.
I have yet to try the GoPro with my Windows Tablet so have no idea what it will be like there (though FPV doesn't appear to be an option on the Windows tablet I can still get a result for shutter lag).
I've also tried different apps on the HTC and the result is pretty consistent suggesting its an issue on the GoPro side as opposed to the HTC. Incidentally I did find the Cam Suite Pro app seems to allow (laggy) FPV while recording which the Go Pro app doesn't.

lostkiwi said:
I've just bought a GoPro 3+ Black and when connected to my HTC One the lag is horrendous - close on 4 seconds even when next to the camera. When using the same phone with the FC 40 the lag was closer to 2 seconds and with the Panasonic GF6 I have its near enough 1 second.
I have yet to try the GoPro with my Windows Tablet so have no idea what it will be like there (though FPV doesn't appear to be an option on the Windows tablet I can still get a result for shutter lag).
I've also tried different apps on the HTC and the result is pretty consistent suggesting its an issue on the GoPro side as opposed to the HTC. Incidentally I did find the Cam Suite Pro app seems to allow (laggy) FPV while recording which the Go Pro app doesn't.

I would like to jump in on this one.

You made a key statement. The FC40 camera lags about 2 seconds on your HTC One.
Thats huge! It's not supposed to be that long! In fact, I have a drop cam setup in my apartment now and I know from my phone there is at least 2 - 3 seconds of lag. Hell, I'm able to talk through it from my phone and converse with my wife with no problem.

What I'm getting at is it could be a combination of both the type of phone and hardware/software in the phone and the gopro.

I think the HTC one might suck ***! My galaxy note 2 has maybe half a second of lag going to the FC40.

HOWEVER - one more thing I will bring up. In the FC40 and gopro, are you using a class 10 card? That is a huge issue if you are not.

dragonash said:

Thats huge! It's not supposed to be that long! In fact, I have a drop cam setup in my apartment now and I know from my phone there is at least 2 - 3 seconds of lag. Hell, I'm able to talk through it from my phone and converse with my wife with no problem.

What I'm getting at is it could be a combination of both the type of phone and hardware/software in the phone and the gopro.

I think the HTC one might suck ***! My galaxy note 2 has maybe half a second of lag going to the FC40.

HOWEVER - one more thing I will bring up. In the FC40 and gopro, are you using a class 10 card? That is a huge issue if you are not.

In the GoPro its a Class 10 card. In the FC40 its a Class 4 (which aside from lag causes me no issues at all). The FC40 lags by a significantly smaller amount than the GoPro is what I'm trying to get across. Neither of them bothers me unduly as I don't fly FPV but its something I can see could be seriously annoying to some.
Also bearing in mind the GF6 has virtually zero lag suggests the HTC is actually ok. I'm certainly not likely to change my phone for a Samsung/Apple as I actually don't see the phone as much more than a communications device. If I decide to go FPV in the future it won't be with a phone as my screen!

lostkiwi said:
dragonash said:

In the GoPro its a Class 10 card. In the FC40 its a Class 4 (which aside from lag causes me no issues at all). The FC40 lags by a significantly smaller amount than the GoPro is what I'm trying to get across. Neither of them bothers me unduly as I don't fly FPV but its something I can see could be seriously annoying to some.
Also bearing in mind the GF6 has virtually zero lag suggests the HTC is actually ok. I'm certainly not likely to change my phone for a Samsung/Apple as I actually don't see the phone as much more than a communications device. If I decide to go FPV in the future it won't be with a phone as my screen!

interesting...
aside from the gopro not being the best with wifi, I also think its hardware compatibility.
The video I showed earlier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajxjDIEVKGg shows and a half a second to a second of lag while he is using an iphone. (the iphone i believe doesnt have the best wifi chip in it)

But you seem to have a greater lag with the htc one, which I believe is better than an iphone. How odd.
I wonder if your phone is set to minimize battery consumption for wifi in the hidden menu. Something that samsung does.

If you like, try one of the codes here http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comment ... nd_tricks/
Maybe if you stumble onto something wifi related, it can resolve the wifi lag

The user that opened this thread asked if a GoPro can be as good for FPV as an FC40 camera. Let's see the original questions, because the discussion has drifted into non-productive territory:
FCPhantom said:
Hi
I am using now original DJI camera and going to buy gimbal and Gopro Hero+ Silver.
Could you say, what kind is lag on the Hero+ live view. Is it same like DJI camera?
I hear, Gopro Hero has 3-4 sec. lag, but Hero+ has four times faster WIFI. Is the lag also smaller?
For anyone wondering exactly that, it is safe to say the following:
- The wifi range is lower
- The lag is (sometimes much) greater

If you are using the FC40 camera for FPV, you'll probably need a FPV system.
If you are using the FC40 camera just for framing, the GoPro wifi might be enough.
If you routinely fly beyond the FC40 signal range (as I do), you'll probably find the GoPro signal range annoyingly short.

(At least, this is what I want to find on a forum: straight answer for a straight question, preferably from the user's experience. Not theories, not inapplicable general advice, not what I can learn form youtube, not advice to search on google).

I should say, the GoPro is so much better than the FC40 camera, that if you don't fly FPV, you don't know what great imagery you are missing.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.

I have now bought a Gopro Hero3+ Black. I have notice, the lag is pretty much same, comparing to FC40 camera.
My display is Lenovo tablet (Android), I have also test WIFI connection with my Nokia Lumia 925 (Windows) phone. Using the Windows phone, the lag is about 4 seconds. So there is big differense, are you using Windows, Andoroid device...

I am not using my Gopro for FPV, just for framing.
For my purpose, Hero3+ is enought. And of course, the video quality is much better than FC40 camera.

Interesting. Just upgraded the GoPro app to the latest and the lag is reduced to around 1-2 seconds. Much better than it was.

"All you have to do is type in GoPro iPhone lag into youtube, and you will find lots of videos showing the difference between iPhone and Android. Not just Hero2's, but Hero3's as well. If your tests showed the iPhone to be faster, I either doubt that you really tested it, or you are just the exception to what seems to be the rule."

My iPhone 5 has .5 second lag, my android tablet around 4 second lag, on either the gopro or fc40 camera.

ericdes said:
"All you have to do is type in GoPro iPhone lag into youtube, and you will find lots of videos showing the difference between iPhone and Android. Not just Hero2's, but Hero3's as well. If your tests showed the iPhone to be faster, I either doubt that you really tested it, or you are just the exception to what seems to be the rule."

My iPhone 5 has .5 second lag, my android tablet around 4 second lag, on either the gopro or fc40 camera.

yet i have .5 second lag on my fc40 cam using a galaxy note 2.
what android tab do you have?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj