Gopro Hero 3+ silver or Hero 4 silver

Reaction score
Looking at these 2 is the hero 4 silver worth the extra and will it give less jello than the hero 3+silver. Not going to the 4k one no point i dont have a 4k TV and wont be getting one any time soon.

I went for the hero 4 myself back when I was debating between the hero 3 black and hero 4 silver!

Here are what makes the hero 4 better.
1) More recording options: 4k, 2.7k, 1440p...and with more fps to choose from.
2) superview FOV
3) pro tune
4) higher bitrate videos
5) touch screen LCD screen
6) 2 times better in dynamic range
7) 2 times better in audio
8) Bluetooth
9) 12MB photo camera

Looking at these 2 is the hero 4 silver worth the extra and will it give less jello than the hero 3+silver. Not going to the 4k one no point i dont have a 4k TV and wont be getting one any time soon.

If you can't afford hero 4 black then go with the hero 3 black+. Be careful as there are two hero 3 blacks that are on the used market. The one you want has the HERO3+ right on the front on the camera. I have both hero 3 + silver and black and the black has so much more to offer then the silver whether it's a 3 or 4.

If you can't afford hero 4 black then go with the hero 3 black+. Be careful as there are two hero 3 blacks that are on the used market. The one you want has the HERO3+ right on the front on the camera. I have both hero 3 + silver and black and the black has so much more to offer then the silver whether it's a 3 or 4.

Be aware the hero 4 black doesn't come with a built in touch screen like the hero 4 silver does.

But then hero 4 black has more fps options like 4k 30fps.....etc

Be aware the hero 4 black doesn't come with a built in touch screen like the hero 4 silver does.

But then hero 4 black has more fps options like 4k 30fps.....etc

There isn't much of a difference mechanically between hero 3 black+ and the hero 4 silver other than price point and built in monitor can't see in the sun. And the hero 4 black price point is a bit steep for for a camera with limited uses.

Last edited:
There isn't much of a difference mechanically between hero 3 black+ and the hero 4 silver other than price point and built in monitor can't see in the sun. And the hero 4 black price point is a bit steep for for a camera with limited uses.

I guess it all comes down to how often you use it and what the application is. If you like 4K, pretty much you are force to get the hero 4 black, coz the 15fps on the hero 4 silver is just not good enough for fast action aerial video.

I use my GoPro outside of my phantom too, so for me, I would spend the 100bucks more to get the hero 4 instead of the hero 3+ for some added features.

After all, all depends on your personal preference and budget. There is no right or wrong.

I guess it all comes down to how often you use it and what the application is. If you like 4K, pretty much you are force to get the hero 4 black, coz the 15fps on the hero 4 silver is just not good enough for fast action aerial video.

I use my GoPro outside of my phantom too, so for me, I would spend the 100bucks more to get the hero 4 instead of the hero 3+ for some added features.

After all, all depends on your personal preference and budget. There is no right or wrong.

That 15fps can be up-rezzed to 30fps but that isn't point maybe leekiya doesn't have that kind of money to spend on 4 black. Where a good used 3+ black will do the same job as a 4 silver at close to half the price.

Look I own three GP's hero 2, 3+silver and 3+ black there good for aerial, under water, biking, driving and places where you wouldn't take an expensive DSLR. Although I do have the equipment to setup my DSLR's both inside/outside a vehicle for a for shoot.

There are cameras for any kind of use you can think but there isn't a single camera on the market that can do everything when it comes to video/photography.

Ok so your thoughts are go for the 3 black over the silver, There is no point in me going for anything with 4k on it as i dont have a 4k TV and they are still thousands of pounds here in the UK and it will be years and years before TV or sky broadcast in 4k, we still only broadcast in 720p with our best sky package here in the uk. lol

The thread was more to learn if any of them didnt produce the jello affect more than another model than anything else to be honest. I have just seen a polar pro frame kit available at one website that show a video of the jello affect going once then lens is fitted, dont know how good they are in reality tho. cheers again all

There is no point in me going for anything with 4k on it as i dont have a 4k TV and they are still thousands of pounds here in the UK and it will be years and years before TV or sky broadcast in 4k, we still only broadcast in 720p with our best sky package here in the uk. lol
No expert, but I was reading a thread here discussing the same argument, "if you don't have a 4k tv, what is the point?"
The answer was the editing options . Apparently, you gain a lot more data to work with even though the final result may be 1080.
Maybe someone remembers this thread and will post a link.

Last edited:
Ah ok that makes sense, just watching a video now and the guy states he only films in 720p with the higher frame rate to avoid the jello problem. So with the higher models you can knock back to 1080p with a higher frame rate to avoid jello.

Ok so your thoughts are go for the 3 black over the silver, There is no point in me going for anything with 4k on it as i dont have a 4k TV and they are still thousands of pounds here in the UK and it will be years and years before TV or sky broadcast in 4k, we still only broadcast in 720p with our best sky package here in the uk. lol
The point about 4K for me has nothing to do with whether I can watch it on a 4K TV. It is simply about capturing the best quality image I can.
No expert, but I was reading a thread here discussing the same argument, "if you don't have a 4k tv, what is the point?"
The answer was the editing options . Apparently, you gain a lot more data to work with even though the final result may be 1080.
Maybe someone remembers this thread and will post a link.

I believe this is true as well. You have a lot more detail stored at 4K and if you down rez you are likley to have a nicer picture, and more options, than if you had shot at the lower resolution in the first place. It has nothing to do with having a 4K TV.

Right after digital television was introduce here in the US you had a choice either but a digital set or a digital to analog converter box. Shortly there after manufactures introduce 3D TV and that went over like a lead balloon. Now their trying to pitch 4K TV with price tags to match.

Look the whole idea of 4K video is great but is it practical without the media to watch it. Next question can you even afford a 4K television. Are broadcasters going to switch all their stations equipment over to 4K after the capital expense they shelled out for HD equipment. I think not. So where 4K really shines is when it is down-rezzed to 1080p or 720p as the detail show up in a much sharper image than standard HD.

Last edited:
4k TVs are available for under £600. While 4k is unlikely to be broadcast any day soon, you can already stream 4k films from Amazon.com and .co.uk

And are you getting the true value of 4K from an Amazon stream?? No not unless you what spend
£600 for new set. Have better things to do with my money since there really isn't any content available.

Last edited:
If the streamed data is heavily compressed.... what's the point anyway.

Based on specs, the Gopro 4 silver is very similar except for the touch-screen, so price would be the only decider there. The Gopro 4 black scores on having a short shutter speed, allowing you to shoot at a higher frames per second, which will look sharper. The faster you can capture the picture, the less jello as well, so within limits you are always better going for the highest fps at the expense of resolution. The Gopro 4 black will shoot 1080p at 100 or 120 fps, that's worth having.

Based on specs, the Gopro 4 silver is very similar except for the touch-screen, so price would be the only decider there. The Gopro 4 black scores on having a short shutter speed, allowing you to shoot at a higher frames per second, which will look sharper. The faster you can capture the picture, the less jello as well, so within limits you are always better going for the highest fps at the expense of resolution. The Gopro 4 black will shoot 1080p at 100 or 120 fps, that's worth having.

The GP hero 4 sliver is the same camera as the hero 3+ black except for the built in monitor which is of no use if it's only used on a P2. It's senseless to buy the hero 4 silver for $400.00 when the hero 3+ black are selling used for around $230.00 on ebay.

Having a hero 4 has nothing whatsoever to do with the effects of jello nor how fast the frame rate is. The jello effect is caused by vibration through the air frame to the camera. That's gimbal are used for.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20