Gopro film settings

Re: Gopro film settings

newdayoutdoors said:
I've found flying my GoPro's on a H3-3D gimbal at 1080 60fps, ProTune, Automatic WB, 400 ISO, and either a ND4 or ND8 (depending on lighting) works excellent.

I agree with all of these settings with the exception of one: Auto WB. White Balance tends to drift depending on shot composition (as designed to do). Better to go with a daylight Kelvin pre-set than have to correct WB drift in post.

beeline said:
newdayoutdoors said:
I've found flying my GoPro's on a H3-3D gimbal at 1080 60fps, ProTune, Automatic WB, 400 ISO, and either a ND4 or ND8 (depending on lighting) works excellent.

I agree with all of these settings with the exception of one: Auto WB. White Balance tends to drift depending on shot composition (as designed to do). Better to go with a daylight Kelvin pre-set than have to correct WB drift in post.

I totally agree on the WB comment. I do from time to time set the Kelvin. Understanding Kelvin white balance and when to use what setting is one of the most difficult concepts to grasp in photography and video. I admit that I am not the best at it so when in doubt I cheat and use AWB and then fix it in post ... not ideal but it generally works. But yes if you have a good understanding on the proper Kelvin settings then that is absolutely the best approach for the overall best video capture.

newdayoutdoors said:
beeline said:
newdayoutdoors said:

I totally agree on the WB comment. I do from time to time set the Kelvin. Understanding Kelvin white balance and when to use what setting is one of the most difficult concepts to grasp in photography and video. I admit that I am not the best at it so when in doubt I cheat and use AWB and then fix it in post ... not ideal but it generally works. But yes if you have a good understanding on the proper Kelvin settings then that is absolutely the best approach for the overall best video capture.
I think the point was that using AWB makes it more difficult to correct in post. With AWB, WB is dynamically changing. If you manually set a WB temp, then it's easier to correct the entire video.

Eltrochaphantom said:
Well this one was my first video. 1080 MEDIUM 60

http://youtu.be/5UcBwi9Ebqg

Tell me what you think

Not sure what camera you have but if you had shot at 2.7 medium 30 you could have edited out the props in post production and still had 1080.

I have a 3+black

I didn't play much with the settings so yeah. I guess next time

dptcalvin said:
I think the point was that using AWB makes it more difficult to correct in post. With AWB, WB is dynamically changing. If you manually set a WB temp, then it's easier to correct the entire video.

I totally agree. It is much easier if you have a consistent WB to correct, even if the degree of Kelvin is not exactly correct.

If you want smooth video flow then shoot in 30fps or 60fps and post process in a 30fps timeline. The 60fps will give you the ability to slow down the footage 50% and have smooth slow motion. A 24fps shoot will match up well with other 24fps footage that is shot on say a DSLR for the "cinematic look". Whether it is the look that you want in your final production is up to you. Personally, I'm not a fan of GoPro footage in a 24fps wrapper. The camera is geared towards "action" footage and the 30fps timelines in post fit action footage better in terms of smooth feel and a more realistic look. The sensor in the GoPro just does not allow the 24fps footage to match up visually IMO with DSLR footage without a ton of manipulation in post.

As far as 1080 vs 720 vs 2k vs 4k ... In reality for most people this will matter little. Where 2k and especially 4k will shine is for the person wanting to use a frame grab at a still photo. Or the person wanting to zoom in very tight in post.

I shoot video professionally and shoot most everything in 1080. However I do the bulk of my post production in 720 by scaling down my 1080 footage. This is generally fine for anything youtube and even broadcast material. The bulk of my clients want something on a DVD that they can pop in their DVD player, so the footage gets scaled back to SD anyway. In the case of BluRay, 720 is more than sufficient as it matches with the bulk of broadcast HD here in the States. There is no reason for me to produce video in 4k. So few people have 4k TV's (I don't even own one) or monitors. It is overkill at this point in time and eats up tons of hard drive space.

I've found flying my GoPro's on a H3-3D gimbal at 1080 60fps, ProTune, Automatic WB, 400 ISO, and either a ND4 or ND8 (depending on lighting) works excellent. It produces great footage that is very smooth in post with just the right amount of motion blur from the slower shutter speed thanks to the ND filter. Now if I want quality still photos then I send it up without the ND filter because I want a fast shutter speed for the crisp details. With the ND filter you will get soft edges on your photo subjects.

Sorry to dig up something from a few months ago but I would like to ask you (seeing as you seem to know what you are on about) Why is it that everyone talks about 60 and 30 fps and not 50 and 25fps.

I am struggling to understand why people are using 30 or 60 when you any video editing software only allows you to export in 25fps. I recorded many videos in 50fps for smooth playback however when publishing the edited video it drops to 25fps and becomes choppy due to it dropping every 2nd frame.
I then tried recording in 25fps and that is choppy to start with! So my problem is, if PAL movies are shot at 25fps and play smooth, why does my GoPro record in 25fps yet remain choppy?

i always shoot at 4k 30fps.. protune on.. this will give you highest bitrate available aka best picture quality. from there you can crop a bit from the top if u keep seeing props in your vid... also if you tilt the camera down a bit u avoid catching the props in your shot

hope that helps :)

I shoot medium FOV, 2.7K video at 60 FPS with my GPH4 Black. I prefer that setting because I get smooth video, that can be slowed if I want. If you shoot at 4K, you can extract what amounts to an 8MP still from it in GoPro Studio. If I want still, though, I generally have the camera shoot every second at 12MP. The good thing is you have hundreds of photos to select from. The bad thing is you have hundreds of photos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31