GoPro as Second Camera on P2+V3

Reaction score
Just recently upgraded to the V2+V3 from the Phantom 1.1.1 with GoPro and antijello mount. I love the V2+V3 but the low light/night video is poor on the DJI camera. After much research I decided to go this route. I looked into the Dronexpert method to swap out, but for the Dronexpert hardware and then a Zenmuse gimbal I was looking at almost another $800 Additional cost. I already had the Gopro 3+ from my prior DJi set up so I purchased a carbon fiber accessory plate (sold as a mount for transmitters) and a carbon fiber antijello plate kit along with the GoPro mount, all for under $50! The GoPro can be mounted in the waterproof case as well as photographed.
So for the times I may require better low light photos/videos and still benefit from the Dji Vision app (and the FPV Booster app which I love!) this is a much more cost efficient method for me! I can also shoot both cameras at the same time. Just sharing this for others who may be thinking of a similar set up.

Attachments

• Img_2512b.jpg
    Img_2512b.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 654
  • Img_2515b.jpg
    Img_2515b.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 668
  • Img_2516b.jpg
    Img_2516b.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 626
  • Img_2517b.jpg
    Img_2517b.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 618
Great! Do you have links to the exact components your purchased?

Thanks. Did you have to adjust and gains etc., to account for the added weight/weight redistribution? Have you tried flying with it after removing the built in camera (less weight, bot giving up telemetry data)?

just installed today, too cold to fly, should I adjust gains? I didn't think the weight would be that much of a difference? if so...how do you know which way to adjust? My 1.1.1 was made for the Gopro so I didn't adjust anything
Thanks

I did not remove the built in camera...this attaches to the rear, by the battery...and it still allows enough space for easy battery removal

Maybe I'm not getting this right. You have left the V+ camera on the aircraft and attached a GoPro onto the back. The FPV system will work via the V+ camera - so how do you know where to point the aircraft when you want to film using the GoPro? Set it up with the V+ and then spin around 180 Deg? Would it not be better to attempt to get both cameras pointing in the same direction?

Also, without a gimbal, the footage from the GoPro will be very wobbly. I recently had an issue with my V+ range extender so I had to film an event using my older P2V. The results were terrible. When you get used to gimballed footage, non gimballed looks so bad.

But maybe that's just me.

Kayak34, I can understand your logic behind this. If you could share some footage, it would be great.

Thanks,

With my first phantom (more than 18 months ago), my GoPro video out signal failed, so I had to mount double camera and extend legs for ensure pointing to subject while filming: :ugeek:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dasEgmNKc84[/youtube]

happydays

I realize the non gimbal go pro is not as steady of a video since I had that set up on my 1.1.1 phantom. I just think the gopro video is much better in low light situations and I came up with this for the few times I may want a sunset/fireworks type video or similar low light situation . Yes, all I would do is locate what I want to film with the dji camera fpv, then rotate 180 degrees and video the subject. Since I would have the subject pre planned, I would obviously attempt to make the video as steady as possible.

Ok, I get you now - and the low light capability of the V+ camera is pretty poor. If I want to film a night shot, I try to do it at dusk; the end results look pretty good, just that there are no 'snow' spots all over the video!

I still would try to rig up something to get the GoPro facing in the same direction as the original camera. You never know when you will want to do a moving clip and it might be hard to film something while trying to imagine where the GoPro is pointing!I suppose the wide angle of the GP might mean that you'd probably capture the shot anyway.

It might be possible to have a loosely fitting set of rails attached to the underside of the mounting bracket and something similar at the camera end. That way the GoPro could 'fold up' for taking off. Even better, why not just secure it tightly below the skids and hand launch and hand catch. Problem solved!

I'm pretty used to flying "blind" with my previous 1.1.1 w/goPro (no fpv), when using course lock its easier to know which way to go even with the camera facing backwards. With as few times as I will actually being using this set up, it was the easiest, most cost efficient way to set it up and still fit in my case without any removal of accessories. I can fly with both cameras or just unscrew the gopro from the mount if I know I'm not going to use it for the current flight. The carbon fiber mounting frame set up has hardly any weight.

I ordered all the parts today to do the same thing

The hero 4 by far surpasses the factory camera, I too enjoy late evening / night flying and I don't really want to spend the $ to adapt the gopro in place of the factory camera , I'd rather by another phantom already setup with a gopro

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT