Google this - Drone collides with plane

Reaction score
As an exercise and out of curiosity I Googled this: drone collides with plane. All I got was "nearly & almost".
This doesn't mean we would take the chance but I can't find where any drones have come in contact with an airplane. I would have bet it has happened by the medias reports of near misses. I don't doubt some knucklehead will accomplish the feat someday. God forbid. Does any one know of a creditable collision?

My dad is an old well seasoned private pilot. He about burst a new one when I told him about my upgraded P3 and what it could do. He has faith & trust in me, but in the hands of someone not having any appreciation for what we are doing...Bla bla. My point is I know prejudice exists. Don't forget we are the new boyz on the block, and the established fliers have the idea that they may just own the airspace. I don't agree with that but I do respect what it implies towards safety.

So I'm wondering just how much of the media attention is over embellished. Knowing the media they are like sharks in a frenzy when info like this is put out. How much is this is a knee jerk prejudice and the story gets stretched? I just want truthful facts and doubt if thats what we are getting exactly.

I'm working on the premise if a aircraft can see my dot in the air and say its a drone I am way to close.

I was about 200m up when a helicopter passed about 50m from me way too close for my liking...

Because i dont want to give away my location due to videos online, i have heavily cropped this image...

After that surprise, I am convinced it is a matter of time! I never fly high anymore... My P3P is out of action still... so this was the good ol' days...
helicopter.jpg

Reactions: Brad Vickery
The media loves to blow things out of proportion. And your dad is right, someone that has more money than brains can buy one and do whatever they want. It hasn't happened yet (hobby drone collision with manned aircraft), but it will happen sooner or later. There are 100's of thousands of these things being sold to anyone with the cash or credit. With so many in the air a small percentage of operators will cause problems. It's not if, it's when. Will it bring down the aircraft in a ball of fire and kill everyone onboard? Most likely no, but do I wanna be the guy to find out... no way. Be safe out there.

Google: bird strike damage and look at the images.

While a turbofan might successfully ingest and spit out a Phantom, I see examples where a bird has caused panels from the aircraft skin to separate. These also might be ingested by a fan. I also see holes in windscreens.

There's no doubt in my mind a Phantom can take out an engine. I also recognize that possibility isn't the same as probability.

As for the media, I have yet to see credible evidence the media has an agenda to ground drones.

Their main agenda is to sell copy. It seems to me they would have an interest not to see drones banned. Drones can cover events that helicopters can't, and vice versa.

I saw a video the other day of a drone supposedly hitting the vertical tip on a wing of a commercial jetliner, and smashing big chunks off it. Supposedly filmed from inside through the window.
If that was true, firstly our commercial jetliners are made of polystyrene, because hitting a small drone at any speed shouldn't be breaking big chunks of a plane off.
Secondly, had it been true, it would have been all over the media from here to Uranus and back.

Yeah, that wingtip video is known to be a fake. Pretty cool, though.

I saw a video the other day of a drone supposedly hitting the vertical tip on a wing of a commercial jetliner, and smashing big chunks off it. Supposedly filmed from inside through the window.
If that was true, firstly our commercial jetliners are made of polystyrene, because hitting a small drone at any speed shouldn't be breaking big chunks of a plane off.
Secondly, had it been true, it would have been all over the media from here to Uranus and back.
Got a link?

Google: bird strike damage and look at the images.

While a turbofan might successfully ingest and spit out a Phantom, I see examples where a bird has caused panels from the aircraft skin to separate. These also might be ingested by a fan. I also see holes in windscreens.

There's no doubt in my mind a Phantom can take out an engine. I also recognize that possibility isn't the same as probability.

As for the media, I have yet to see credible evidence the media has an agenda to ground drones.

Their main agenda is to sell copy. It seems to me they would have an interest not to see drones banned. Drones can cover events that helicopters can't, and vice versa.
Whole heatedly Agree and concur.

Brad Vickery said:
...I was a regular in "Lois& Clark" and I have footage of me being flown away from a firing squad by Superman.

Excellent! Got a link?

You look way different when you wear a cape... Cool pic!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic