Goodbye Everybody Thanks - FAA Shut me down

Very good points. The reason is because if you're only doing it for hobby/recreation back in 2012 Congress pretty much made your untouchable unless you fly in a genuinely unsafe manner. Tack the term "commerce" onto it and the FAA has some degree of authority over the operator. When Congress made "modelers" untouchable in 2012 they had no idea anyone was "really" going to use this technology to make $$ or I'm sure they would have worded things VERY differently than they did.

BINGO! I totally agree. I happen to feel like a great deal of training should be done to simply own one but that's my 2 cents.
I don't agree, my training has all been over 37 years of owning and building my own RC aircraft, and I'll bet I fly a quad as well, or better then most pilots. I was also told by a couple pilots I should take the test, I would be "solo'ing in no time" due to my "fly by touch" reaction when I took the stick on small aircraft I've actually flown. So for someone who has never seen me fly, to say that just stinks of......well something, I'll put it in prose when I have time to think about how ridiculous your statement is.
I personally don't understand how or why a quad isn't second nature to fly, but that's me, some ppl are just adapt at flying, being a RC helo pilot, plane, or the easiest, a quadcopter. Of course I understand there are those that it isn't as natural, but for me and countless others, flying and doing flight parameters is just simple.
The very first day I had my P3P I was circling my wife and I, in atti mode, while keeping camera pointedly at center, or us, with just a few minutes in the air. I cannot see any reason a seasoned RC guy wouldn't agree with me. Flying an RC and flying a plane where you can at least feel your input have really nothing in common, really, except that they both use the same medium to fly in, after that what they have in common goes down quickly

I don't agree, my training has all been over 37 years of owning and building my own RC aircraft, and I'll bet I fly a quad as well, or better then most pilots. I was also told by a couple pilots I should take the test, I would be "solo'ing in no time" due to my "fly by touch" reaction when I took the stick on small aircraft I've actually flown. So for someone who has never seen me fly, to say that just stinks of......well something, I'll put it in prose when I have time to think about how ridiculous your statement is.
I personally don't understand how or why a quad isn't second nature to fly, but that's me, some ppl are just adapt at flying, being a RC helo pilot, plane, or the easiest, a quadcopter. Of course I understand there are those that it isn't as natural, but for me and countless others, flying and doing flight parameters is just simple.
The very first day I had my P3P I was circling my wife and I, in atti mode, while keeping camera pointedly at center, or us, with just a few minutes in the air. I cannot see any reason a seasoned RC guy wouldn't agree with me. Flying an RC and flying a plane where you can at least feel your input have really nothing in common, really, except that they both use the same medium to fly in, after that what they have in common goes down quickly

My main reason for my comment has nothing, I mean NOTHING to do with actual flying skills. It has everything with being able to understand airspace, FARs, and everything else that comes with "playing" in the National Airspace System. If we're going to play with the big boys we need to put on our big boy pants and learn everything we can about NAS.

My main reason for my comment has nothing, I mean NOTHING to do with actual flying skills. It has everything with being able to understand airspace, FARs, and everything else that comes with "playing" in the National Airspace System. If we're going to play with the big boys we need to put on our big boy pants and learn everything we can about NAS.
Except if your shooting a house at 200' then there's NO REASON to have to know all that BS!!

Except if your shooting a house at 200' then there's NO REASON to have to know all that BS!!
Oh really? The majority of my commercial work is "shooting a house" and I can promise you I need to know about airspace, who to contact at the local airport, how to contact the local dispatch company for the MediVa helo, and the list goes on and on. There's your BS sir.

Reactions: 304HighDrone
You think because You did that some poor SOB has to learn all that extra crap to do a shoot 200' off the ground in Timbuktu, for a 20 minute shoot, that's basically on par with a hobbyist flying around, that's just being a bully

Oh really? The majority of my commercial work is "shooting a house" and I can promise you I need to know about airspace, who to contact at the local airport, how to contact the local dispatch company for the MediVa helo, and the list goes on and on. There's your BS sir.
We know we know your so much more qualified lol, I don't have to know all that stuff for a 200' shoot that doesn't involve air vortices and commercial BS. I can tell you live to lord it over ppl but I care less about your credentials, or you lacking point

Your no different then a guy working a lawn mower who says a commercial mower guy needs countless hours of BS to mow commercially.
How to contact an airport? Call them, ask for flight ops, prepare for a medivac? Really? We are flying a 3lb drone not driving a racecar

We know we know your so much more qualified lol, I don't have to know all that stuff for a 200' shoot that doesn't involve air vortices and commercial BS. I can tell you live to lord it over ppl but I care less about your credentials, or you lacking point
Your no different then a guy working a lawn mower who says a commercial mower guy needs countless hours of BS to mow commercially.
How to contact an airport? Call them, ask for flight ops, prepare for a medivac? Really? We are flying a 3lb drone not driving a racecar

Get agitated much? Get defensive much?

I merely stated my beliefs and why I feel the way I do. To each their own.

Get agitated much? Get defensive much?

I merely stated my beliefs and why I feel the way I do. To each their own.
Your also dead wrong in another area, imagine that.
When your flying at treetop level, or BELOW, it's ALL about pilot skills, NOTHING AT ALL to do with NAS. (edited)
Wait, wait for it, Sir! Lol
You think because I am passionate about how I feel that I am defensive? Because I defend myself? Or my beliefs or thoughts?
Your 100% right, we all have our own ideas, unfortunately we are human so we see things through a lens. Your lens is not the same as mine

Your also dead wrong in another area, imagine that.
When your flying at treetop level, or BELOW, it's ALL about pilot skills, NOTHING AT ALL to do with NAS. But again, you went thru it so why not believe in forcing everyone to do it right? Because, I mean, besides that you've not given one iota of a decent argument yet

Back in the day before GPS and gyros that was the case. But today so long as you can see the aircraft you can pretty much "fly around". I'm not talking about precision flight or FPV through the obstacle course but general flight can be done by a monkey with today's technology.

I went through all that because I'm a PILOT. It had nothing to do with flying UAS. I simply believe that if it can fly over a few feet from the ground, without pilot input, and fly autonomously then the operator should be required to have some degree of aviation training. I'm not saying you should be able to climb into a Cessna 310 and fly it into LAX on an instrument approach but you should be able to at least know what airspace you are operating in and what added dangers could be in the same area you're flying in. It's really that simple.

But alas my comments seem to have ruffled your feathers a bit more than would have been expected. Maybe take a moment, get a nice deep breath, and go fly for a while. Maybe that will give you a fresh outlook and lower your blood pressure a notch or two.

If I have an accident it's not going to be because I crashed into a crowd or flew into the side of a building because of my flying skills. It would be because of some sort of glitch that causes my aircraft to lose control.

The unfortunate thing with these quadcopters is once the aircraft loses lift, you can't get it back and it will crash. At least with a winged aircraft if I lose lift I can get it back and even if I don't have power, as long as I have lift, I have control and can avoid ****. And you don't need power to genrate lift as long as I have some altitude left. You guys get what I mean.

BTW I didn't read anything after the first post between you two guys. I guess you're arguing about some ****. A public arguement no less. That's forums for ya. Some things will never change. LOL.

If I have an accident it's not going to be because I crashed into a crowd or flew into the side of a building because of my flying skills. It would be because of some sort of glitch that causes my aircraft to lose control.
At the risk of unleashing a shitstorm, if a flier has undergone training (at least in UK) they would know not to fly within 150m of a large crowd nor 50m of a building (without owner's permission), so neither of those two events would occur.
Just sayin'

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik