Going to the US on tourism visa. Bring P4P?

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a few questions, please answer correctly if you know the answers. Thanks a lot!

I travel to Florida next week. I intend to bring my P4P, the RC and two batteries with me as carry-on. In a drone-bag of course, within space limitations for carry-ons.

Q1: Am I allowed to do this? Any regulations regarding the batteries? Anything else I should know?

Q2: I do not own a 107 license. Will I be legally allowed to fly it?

Q3: If I were to be stopped by the police, carrying my drone, and not being able to produce a license. What might happen?

Q4: If I were to be stopped by the police, flying my drone NOT over military/airport/security/public place, or any "restricted area" what so ever, but solely in a safe area, below 100m sea level. What might happen?

Q5: How much does it cost to apply for a 107 license? How long does it usually take to get one?

Again, thanks!

Don’t worry about 107. It’s only it you plan on selling your work. You don’t need a license to fly. Police shouldn’t bother if just for checking out things. No real reason unless you are in Orlando city limits. It is illegal there I heard. Just talk friendly to the police most are good people. See what they are inquiring about. Most are just curious as they are just doing their job. I never had a problem with them. Use AirMap before you fly or similar apps to know where you can fly. I flew in Panama City and Jacksonville, Fl. with no problems. Have fun.

Hello!

I have a few questions, please answer correctly if you know the answers. Thanks a lot!

I travel to Florida next week. I intend to bring my P4P, the RC and two batteries with me as carry-on. In a drone-bag of course, within space limitations for carry-ons.

Q1: Am I allowed to do this? Any regulations regarding the batteries? Anything else I should know?
Best to check with your specific airline.

Q2: I do not own a 107 license. Will I be legally allowed to fly it?
As long as no one will profit from your flight, you can simply fly recreationally.

Q3: If I were to be stopped by the police, carrying my drone, and not being able to produce a license. What might happen?
Nothing. You don't need any type of documentation to simple carry a drone.

Q4: If I were to be stopped by the police, flying my drone NOT over military/airport/security/public place, or any "restricted area" what so ever, but solely in a safe area, below 100m sea level. What might happen? You can easily be in a restricted area without knowing it. For example, local laws may prohibit drone flying in parks or even withing the local town. If the police approach you and explain that flying a drone in the area you are operating is illegal, simply explain that you are not from the area, ask why it is illegal, say "Thank you for the information", and simply pack up and leave.

Q5: How much does it cost to apply for a 107 license? How long does it usually take to get one?
$150 to take the test. Assuming you pass, it usually takes a few weeks to obtain your temporary status and a couple of months to receive your license in the mail.

Again, thanks!

Thanks for the reply guys!

If you are just itching to take the Part 107 test, check on the link below for non-citizen requirements. The longest part of the wait is for the TSA background check. But then again, if you are able to enter the US, this won't even be an issue as you've really already passed it.

Another thing to note is the altitude limit in the US is 400 feet, or approximately 120 meters. This is AGL (Above ground level). 100 meters MSL (mean sea level), you might run into some buildings!

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT