P4 Firmware Going Down?

Reaction score
Still awestruck, but my P4+ will not respond smoothly when attempting to descend. Sometimes dropping in bursts, or only one foot drop at a time. Or moving forwards/backwards may help to descend. She won't go down for me!
I'm not very educated about firmware and alike.
Has anyone been afflicted with this issue?
Thank you, Keith Henry

I think you mean you have P4P+, correct? Your problem is something I haven't heard of, but it doesn't sound like it's firmware related, otherwise many others would be reporting this. Have you installed anything on the craft that could interfere with your VPS downward facing sensors, such as a camera guard on the landing gear? I suggest you try turning off VPS sensors and see if that changes the behavior at all. Also, I suggest you post this problem in the P4P section, there's more pilots hanging out there with P4P+ that might be able to help with your symptom.

Reactions: dors2219
I think you mean you have P4P+, correct? Your problem is something I haven't heard of, but it doesn't sound like it's firmware related, otherwise many others would be reporting this. Have you installed anything on the craft that could interfere with your VPS downward facing sensors, such as a camera guard on the landing gear? I suggest you try turning off VPS sensors and see if that changes the behavior at all. Also, I suggest you post this problem in the P4P section, there's more pilots hanging out there with P4P+ that might be able to help with your symptom.

I have installed a camera protector that fits betweenthe landing struts. It doesn't look as if it were in the way. I will definatey try removing it as plan A. Then turning off vps sensors. Your drone knowledge & use of common sence is exemplitory.
Thank you, Keith

I think you'll find the camera guard to be the problem. It may not look like it's in the way, but it is. I don't recommend camera guards on the P4 line for this reason. Camera guard seem to work OK only on P3 drones that have a weaker VPS sensors. I had similar problems as you with my P4, but the P4P sensors are even stronger than P4. After you remove the camera guard you should not have to turn off the VPS. The VPS should work fine without the camera guard installed.

Mine has sometimes been a little jerky if I descend as fast as possible, but I figured that was just the drone being buffeted by wind resistance. Down is the least aerodynamic direction to fly.

Mine has sometimes been a little jerky if I descend as fast as possible, but I figured that was just the drone being buffeted by wind resistance. Down is the least aerodynamic direction to fly.
It's actually being tossed around by dropping down into it's own downwash, swirling around vertically. Older drones have been known to get caught in this vortex by descending too quick, then crash. However the flight controllers have improved to the point that it's almost impossible to get caught in the vortex anymore, putting limits on descend rates. However you will see buffeting from flying into it's own downward wind vortex of vertically swirling air, similar to the Seal Team 6 helicopter crashing during the Osama KILL raid. Best practice is to never descend straight down. Always be moving horizontally when descending.

Reactions: K Henry
I think you'll find the camera guard to be the problem. It may not look like it's in the way, but it is. I don't recommend camera guards on the P4 line for this reason. Camera guard seem to work OK only on P3 drones that have a weaker VPS sensors. I had similar problems as you with my P4, but the P4P sensors are even stronger than P4. After you remove the camera guard you should not have to turn off the VPS. The VPS should work fine without the camera guard installed.

Hey there John!
Correctamundo, camera guard was in the way.
I'm going to trim it down as much possible and try it again.
The real question is why I missed the solution...I pride myself in having common sence...but first it must be applied! So, I'm slowing down and my age is showing.
So, thanks again for your common sence, and the time it took to solve my problem. Keith

UPDATE
It worked so well, but it landed in the ocean waves soon after. I bought another one...
Never panic my friend, never panic!

Could he also have changed his sticks so that wrong sticks for descending and descending usually left side stick is right stick .might even have left stick yaw/turning with ascending descending.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers