Gimbal shock absorbers.

Reaction score
Some of your might know this, others not.
Just got my P3A back from a well known repair facility here in the UK and I noticed that there were only two (opposite) plastic pins inserted in the gimbal rubber shock absorbers. I questioned this with them and they advise that this is how it should be, how they come new (when they did) from the manufacturer. The reason being that they are purely a security feature and putting all four in increases vibration transfer from the body to the gimbal plate! Could lead to blurred pictures if you had an out of balance prop for example!

I've always had all four in place, but no longer!
IMG_6723.jpg

Reactions: Capt KO
Just got my P3A back from a well known repair facility here in the UK and I noticed that there were only two (opposite) plastic pins inserted in the gimbal rubber shock absorbers. I questioned this with them and they advise that this is how it should be, how they come new (when they did) from the manufacturer. The reason being that they are purely a security feature and putting all four in increases vibration transfer from the body to the gimbal plate! Could lead to blurred pictures if you had an out of balance prop for example!
I've always had all four in place, but no longer!
It's covered in the manual.
There's no need for nay additional measures.
i-ZDTpGVL-L.jpg

I've always had all four in place, but no longer!View attachment 115278
Yup only need 2. My P3A has been like that for hundreds of flights

I didn't know this. I inherited my P3A from my sone and it came with all four fitted. Didn't e ver has issues with blurred pix from vibration as I keep the props carefully balanced so everything runs nice an smoothly.

Lets be honest - as long as the pins and locking washers are clicked together properly and not tight onto anything - they should not create any problem for gimbal.... whether 2 or 4.

But it is only 2 that are required to prevent loss of gimbal if the rubber dampers fail.

It's covered in the manual.
There's no need for nay additional measures.
i-ZDTpGVL-L.jpg
Thank you cheddarman and meta4. Made copies of the above diagram to place in P3’s, to inform new owners. ?

My three have 4 pins

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

I've always had all four in place, but no longer!View attachment 115278
theres a dope list of tips kept up by @Oso that has the pins mentioned i'll see if i can find the link there could be other stuff not known.

different item - ty for the photo because ive often wondered where people were attaching the remove before flight ribbon

I didn't know this. I inherited my P3A from my sone and it came with all four fitted. Didn't e ver has issues with blurred pix from vibration as I keep the props carefully balanced so everything runs nice an smoothly.
hey man this is that list i said before

theres a dope list of tips kept up by @Oso that has the pins mentioned i'll see if i can find the link there could be other stuff not known.

different item - ty for the photo because ive often wondered where people were attaching the remove before flight ribbon
Are you calling me a dope? ;)

• Haha
hey man no maybe an age difference thing. lol. :)
So I’m not a dope but I’m old? I see how it is. ;)

As for that tips list you referenced. I had previously sent it to that guy, but he still asked about several things already covered on the list. I never know if people just don’t read it or they just prefer to have things personally explained to them. Cheers!

• Haha
No, no no! I'm the "old" one ??
and I love the interaction of questions and answers - and "age" thing" ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic