Gimbal shaking??? (video)

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me on with this... its done it every since I bought it (new from B&H). Its on my Phantom 1.5. I'm using the P2 gimbal version. I thought it might be because I want running the anti interference board, but I put it in last board and its still doing it. It twitches to the left, you can see the landing gear.... Then pops back to forward.

Any ideas?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwKTMjzLmj0[/youtube]

Hi Daniel. I saw this behavior for the first time while flying last week. Only happened at full forward throttle. Seems as though I remember others stating it is caused by the gimbal touching the battery, which causes an X axis reset. I plan to add a spacer between the gimbal mount and the Phantom for a little wiggle room.

I don't have a battery in the shell. They are mounted on the sides (dual batt setup)

I've had a ton of issues with that, on 2 different 3D's!

Finally, the one thing I did that has drastically cut back on that happening was to balance the camera and gimbal.

I know, I know, you're scratching your head thinking what the hell is he talking about? Isn't the H3-3D and GoPro already balanced?

Not mine!

With the Phantom sitting on a flat surface, the camera would always tip one way on the roll axis. Played around a bit, but short version... I now have a penny hot glued on the side of the gimbal.

I theorize that perhaps there is limited current available to the gimbal, and in effect, it was wasting power keeping the camera level, which resulted in the yaw motor hibernating momentarily.

Away Point said:
I've had a ton of issues with that, on 2 different 3D's!

Finally, the one thing I did that has drastically cut back on that happening was to balance the camera and gimbal.

I know, I know, you're scratching your head thinking what the hell is he talking about? Isn't the H3-3D and GoPro already balanced?

Not mine!

With the Phantom sitting on a flat surface, the camera would always tip one way on the roll axis. Played around a bit, but short version... I now have a penny hot glued on the side of the gimbal.

I theorize that perhaps there is limited current available to the gimbal, and in effect, it was wasting power keeping the camera level, which resulted in the yaw motor hibernating momentarily.

Wow.... Not exactly what I would expect from something that I paid this much for! What a crock of ****!

It would seem that this "yaw snap" issue is pretty common and there are few if little answers that actually rectify the issue.

I think it might be a physical hardware issue and it would be great if anyone reading this can do this experiment and let us know here what your results.

With NO power on the gimbal, push your camera to one side and see if it automatically centers itself like its subtly spring loaded. Then check to see if it centers from both directions. My H3-3D will only center from one side. It would make sense that it should center from both sides and not just one.

Let us know here what you find…

http://youtu.be/PeoL92At2EI

[youtube]http://youtu.be/PeoL92At2EI[/youtube]

A balanced gimbal means when the gimbal is off whatever position you put it in it will stay in that position, not re-center itself. For example if you roll it to the right and tilt it down it should stay there. I have noticed that my h3-3d is slightly out of balance and falls to the tilt motor axis side and I have noticed others have been the same. I am starting to think they did this for a reason, so it could accommodate a lightbridge when you have the hdmi cable pluged in, just a thought.

shartlza said:
A balanced gimbal means when the gimbal is off whatever position you put it in it will stay in that position, not re-center itself. For example if you roll it to the right and tilt it down it should stay there. I have noticed that my h3-3d is slightly out of balance and falls to the tilt motor axis side and I have noticed others have been the same. I am starting to think they did this for a reason, so it could accommodate a lightbridge when you have the hdmi cable pluged in, just a thought.

The H3-3D is definitely spring loaded in the yaw axis and doesn't have anything to do with its balance. The question is, is it supposed to be in both directions or is it just on one side for a reason?

gregorym777 said:
shartlza said:

The H3-3D is definitely spring loaded in the yaw axis and doesn't have anything to do with its balance. The question is, is it supposed to be in both directions or is it just on one side for a reason?[/quoteThe H3-3D is definitely spring loaded in the yaw axis and doesn't have anything to do with its balance. The question is, is it supposed to be in both directions or is it just on one side for a reason?
The yaw axis is not spring loaded. With the gimbal off if you turn it, it will stay. What is happening in the air, when it flops to one side then snaps back to center, is the yaw motor is experiencing resistance outside of its limits and the yaw motor goes to limp mode to protect it, then as it correct itself the motor comes back on and snaps it to center. Usually the resistance is caused by the yaw motor rubbing on something or excess wind pushing the camera from flying forward fast or maybe strong winds. You can search around in the h3-3d forum section and there are a few topics and discussion about this.

[/quote]
The yaw axis is not spring loaded. With the gimbal off if you turn it, it will stay. What is happening in the air, when it flops to one side then snaps back to center, is the yaw motor is experiencing resistance outside of its limits and the yaw motor goes to limp mode to protect it, then as it correct itself the motor comes back on and snaps it to center. Usually the resistance is caused by the yaw motor rubbing on something or excess wind pushing the camera from flying forward fast or maybe strong winds. You can search around in the h3-3d forum section and there are a few topics and discussion about this.[/quote]

Listen I'm sorry, but if you've watched my video from my earlier post you can see that it is quite clearly spring loaded. I have two H3-3D gimbals and they both behave in exactly the same way. They also both have the 'yaw snap' issue. The question is whether its supposed to be this way or not? Thats why I'm asking other people to test their gimbal. If your H3-3D does not behave as if it's spring loaded, then I ask that you do the test and film it, and post the video back here so the rest of us can see it.

Here is a link to mine again. http://youtu.be/PeoL92At2EI

gregorym777 said:
Listen I'm sorry, but if you've watched my video from my earlier post you can see that it is quite clearly spring loaded. I have two H3-3D gimbals and they both behave in exactly the same way. They also both have the 'yaw snap' issue. The question is whether its supposed to be this way or not? Thats why I'm asking other people to test their gimbal. If your H3-3D does not behave as if it's spring loaded, then I ask that you do the test and film it, and post the video back here so the rest of us can see it.

Here is a link to mine again. http://youtu.be/PeoL92At2EI

I'm not trying to be rude here, I do understand your frustration. If your H3-3D feel spring loaded on the yaw axis then that is an issue because it should not be. From looking at your video I would not say it is spring loaded. I would say, 1. your crafts is slightly leaning to the right (left side facing craft) or 2. your gimbal bracket is mounted slanted to that side or 3. the rubber dampeners are compressed up a little on the left side (right side facing the craft). I say this because when you pushed the gimbal to the right it would swing back to center, then when you pushed it to the left it would somewhat stay there. Since you are having this issue in the air i would say it is how the gimbal is mounted and from your video it does look like your right front (facing the craft) dampener is more compressed up than the left. Check that out and then if everything looks good check to see if the yaw motor hits anything when you shift the gimbal around (push up, down, left, right, back, forward). When you fly, the gimbal does shift around and could be hitting something and causing the issues. I would do a video of my H3-3D but my P2 is at DJI for warranty work. :?

I own two 3D's. One died on a firmware update (%#}{<^*%#}€+#*!!!!!). The other is part of my working set up.

Both had the problem turning left.

Cured the second one by balancing the roll axis.

Yaw on the dead one is most certainly not spring loaded one way or the other. There is some, ever so slight, tendency to come to rest at certain points in its rotation. I would attribute this to the motor's magnets (feels similar to manually rotating one of the Phantom's motors), and perhaps the concealed ribbon cable which flexes to allow rotation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic