Gimbal Questions/recommendations

Reaction score
Now that I got my motor fixed, I might consider a cheap gimbal on my P1 just to keep things more level and smooth out the bumps. Being able to adjust it remotely would be nice but not if it means much work to do that, I mainly just want leveling.

How about the one here
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAY5YBU/ref=ox_sfl_cart_mbc_s4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&serverToken=Obidos

Or this Walkera
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MF8012C/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2P9ZFGAUJVK16

Mainly I want as little assembly/installation/calibration as possible. I'm using a SJ4000 camera so it should fit the gopro mounts but weight might be slightly different.

This question may have already been answered somewhere... if so sorry, but any suggestions from those in the know?

Thanks!

Reactions: lake_flyer
Well, so far no gimbal for me. I am not sure I want to invest the time/money into that for this machine, looking at a possible major upgrade.

I am wondering though about some "better" props. I have another pair of the stock ones and think maybe replacing them would be a good idea, the ones on there now show a little wear just from tipping over when landing, etc.

Meanwhile did post another video as-is on youtube.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi guys

I've got the tarot 2d gimbal on my phantom 1. I am having problems with it vibrating and shaking and tilting to one side. I've watched many a youtube video and tried all the suggestions ( switched the tilt and roll wires, firmware upgrade, calibrated sensors numerous times... am going crazy here! really hope one of you can help!

Looking forward to your responses

Matt

Hi guys

I've got the tarot 2d gimbal on my phantom 1. I am having problems with it vibrating and shaking and tilting to one side. I've watched many a youtube video and tried all the suggestions ( switched the tilt and roll wires, firmware upgrade, calibrated sensors numerous times... am going crazy here! really hope one of you can help!

Looking forward to your responses

Matt

Hey Matt,
You may get better replies if you start your own thread and include as much info as you can.

What you're doing here is referred to as "Hijacking a thread" and is not so cool.
I don't know the answer to your question. ;)

Well, so far no gimbal for me. I am not sure I want to invest the time/money into that for this machine, looking at a possible major upgrade.

I am wondering though about some "better" props. I have another pair of the stock ones and think maybe replacing them would be a good idea, the ones on there now show a little wear just from tipping over when landing, etc.

I really like the 9450 props. The 9443 props are pretty cool too. Both are for the P2 but work on my FC40. Prop guards may be a pain, until you tip over.

Have you tried hand catching yet?

Whatcha looking at for an upgrade?

I really like the 9450 props. The 9443 props are pretty cool too. Both are for the P2 but work on my FC40. Prop guards may be a pain, until you tip over.

Have you tried hand catching yet?

Whatcha looking at for an upgrade?

I saw a lot of recommendations for the 9443 props, so I might try them.

No hand catching, my landings are pretty good overall, and I never land on concrete or asphalt... so far always ground or grass but a few times the quad has tipped over and it doesn't take much to scuff up the props.

There is a new model of the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 with some improvements, but not even available yet. I keep thinking $500 is a lot to put up in the air with the imminent possibility it might drop, so buying something even more costly is making me hesitate a little..

Then I might put this one up for sale, but if I don't get anything much I could keep it because I am getting some decent stills from it and I might send it in to the riskier places when I can.

If not for all the wind I think I could get decent video from the one I have without a gimbal, but there is hardly ever no wind around here.

That is quite the bird you are considering. Looks nice, at least the existing one does.

You picked a pretty cool place to shoot a video too. I can see why it's so windy, you're right on the pond.

Thanks, yeah water all around me, but also lots of nice places to shoot videos if you can avoid the wind. Actually if I crash this in the marshes or the trees it will be just as lost as if it crashed in the water.

When editing the video I noticed the guys on the ferry at the beginning are standing outside their vehicles probably watching to see what the thing is.

On the one hand I feel like a new (other) quad will mean another learning curve in some ways and I feel increasingly comfortable with this DJI one but don't want to get into add-on gimbals and the issues sometimes with those, and I like the FPV feature of the yuneec although not sure how much I'd use that. I have seen no bad reviews of that machine.

I'm glad you made it over the freaking bumps, pot-holes, and detours of the past month.

Nice to see you shoot some video and go home ready to fly again. :D

Thanks...

Tomorrow doing some model portfolio shots (new model)... whole different thing. If I thought I'd have time I'd do some aerial too but probably not.

I have the Walkera G-2D Gimbal mounted to a Phantom 1 and just as Matt10 kinda stated....I was disappointed with the shakiness of my video....the Gimbal performed well as far as keeping the camera in a stable point, but my video was noticeably more shaky than when I just had a cheap Carbon Fiber Anti Vibration mount with my Go Pro and no gimbal.....odd. Only thing I can figure, after racking my brain is that the rubber vibration dampers on the Walkera are to soft...I've noticed, after a simple squishing test, that mine on my cheap $12 Carbon fiber mount were a little stiffer. I actually did something totally CRAZY (attatched pic) and mounted both of them to my drone, but that seem to have more shake than a bowl of jello, seems like if you just tap the drone it shakes the camera....didn't do a test flight, but I'm pretty convinced from just moving the drone around and tapping on it that it has way more shake than with just the Gimbal alone. So I think I'm going to try today to pull the dampers off my carbon fiber mount and put them on the Walkera mount (pretty sure they will fit) and see if that helps eliminate the shakiness.....I will let you know how it goes.

Oh, and I did notice that if I changed out the battery and I didn't let the Gimbal cablibrate on just about perfectly level ground that it would have a tilt to it, but if I took it over to a nice level surface and powered up the drone, it calibrated pretty well right on....sometime I would make just a couple little tweeks with the adjustments....that is one nice thing about it, those are super quick and easy to do if you keep the little tool with you that they send with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1764 2.JPG
    IMG_1764 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 422
Good luck... I decided not to have to do something like what you re doing and ordered a Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon which should be here in about a week. Anyone want a slightly used P1?

I have done a lot of research, a lot of add-on gimbals seem to have issues or complications not to mention installation. Almost all the Phantoms I have seen with gimbal included either require a GoPro (I am anti-GoPro I have a great SJCAM) or a smartphone (I am anti-smartphone).

I hate tinkering more than you can imagine :)

Good luck... I decided not to have to do something like what you re doing and ordered a Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon which should be here in about a week. Anyone want a slightly used P1?

I have done a lot of research, a lot of add-on gimbals seem to have issues or complications not to mention installation. Almost all the Phantoms I have seen with gimbal included either require a GoPro (I am anti-GoPro I have a great SJCAM) or a smartphone (I am anti-smartphone).

I hate tinkering more than you can imagine :)

Nice, enjoy the new Quadcopter!! I almost bought a SJCAM, but got impatient and couldn't buy one around town and didn't want to order one online....so I ended up with a Go Pro.

Good!
I had a ton of fun before I had the gimbal. Now I do have stabilised shots ok, but I liked the simplicity of the setup with the FC40 camera. And the quality is quite good too.
And I do miss the typical feeling of flying I had before, when every pitch change was visible on the shots.

However, those calm windless days, that are exactly right for gimbal-less flying, are quite rare where I live.

Nice shooting by the way. Wonderful place.

I think for some parts of some videos it's OK to have some of the shaking.... around here though you get wind gusts and hardly ever a still day and it's often too much.

In flying the thing I also need to find tune my turns and movements which takes some time to get good at..

Today I shot another video of an unusual little "town" and I may not stabilize it but just slow down some of the parts where I make turns, etc. I suspect this is more like what a bird would experience. This is a still from the clip.

Attachments

• 2015-04-18-Rumbley.jpg
    2015-04-18-Rumbley.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 353
I think for some parts of some videos it's OK to have some of the shaking.... around here though you get wind gusts and hardly ever a still day and it's often too much.

In flying the thing I also need to find tune my turns and movements which takes some time to get good at..

Today I shot another video of an unusual little "town" and I may not stabilize it but just slow down some of the parts where I make turns, etc. I suspect this is more like what a bird would experience. This is a still from the clip.

That's a beautiful pic! Nice shot!!

Thanks... it's all in the drone and the camera... I am just a bystander.

Debated uploading this video because of the new equipment coming which should be much smoother, but decided to do it anyway:

Hey DeadPilot, welcome. It's good to see there's someone else out there that's anti-GoPro and anti-smartphone. I've been on here since December and can't find many other SJCAM users, and when I ask a question about one, it's often met with either snide remarks or no replies at all. So thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one...

Happy and safe flying...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31