Gimbal Overload

Reaction score
I had a gimbal overload error message on startup with my P3 Standard today. The aircraft rolled to its side before I could shut the aircraft down. I read one of the gimbal overload threads on this issue which suggested cleaning the gimbal. If there are any Lansing or Saginaw, Michigan area pilots on this board, would any of you be able to recommend a DJI certified repair shop that I could take my aircraft to for repair? Thank you for your help.
gimbal overload.PNG

I had a gimbal overload error message on startup with my P3 Standard today. The aircraft rolled to its side before I could shut the aircraft down. I read one of the gimbal overload threads on this issue which suggested cleaning the gimbal. If there are any Lansing or Saginaw, Michigan area pilots on this board, would any of you be able to recommend a DJI certified repair shop that I could take my aircraft to for repair? Thank you for your help.View attachment 99817
Are you sure grass isn't pushing on the camera? Even grass will push the gimbal enough to give you the error message. Try restarting the drone, set it on some flat surface without grass or rocks, do am IMU Calibration, (Which you should always do after a crash, no matter how small,) and after that, try flying the drone. Let me know how that goes.

-Weston Ney

Weston Ney- I checked the gimbal for grass or any other debris, but did not find any. I connected my drone to the controller and went to the settings on my DJI Go app. I reentered the gimbal setting and then clicked on the Gimbal Auto Calibration and waited for the gimbal to recalibrate. Then I started my aircraft and when I raised the altitude switch slightly (props are running) the aircraft tipped over backward. Repeated the previous steps several times with the same results. For what its worth I am including a front and side view image of the gimbal for your inspection to see if you see something that I don't. Again thank you for your help in trying to resolve this issue.
gimbal1.jpg
gimbal2.jpg

Weston Ney- I checked the gimbal for grass or any other debris, but did not find any. I connected my drone to the controller and went to the settings on my DJI Go app. I reentered the gimbal setting and then clicked on the Gimbal Auto Calibration and waited for the gimbal to recalibrate. Then I started my aircraft and when I raised the altitude switch slightly (props are running) the aircraft tipped over backward. Repeated the previous steps several times with the same results. For what its worth I am including a front and side view image of the gimbal for your inspection to see if you see something that I don't. Again thank you for your help in trying to resolve this issue.View attachment 99839View attachment 99840
A problem with the gimbal will not cause the aircraft to turn over. There is something obviously wrong with the a/c itself. Mine has never turned over like that except when trying to land in high wind, it almost tipped over! [emoji33] Did you do the imu Calibration in an environment with no interference or metal?

Thank you for your time Weston. There was some interference but I am not knowledgeable enough to know if the interference is significant enough to affect the aircraft. Sounds like I will be taking my aircraft to the repair shop. Again thank you for your help.

This may sound stupid but check the props. I have had that issue before and after close inspection I noticed the tip of one prop was
broke. Just the very tip but it threw everything out of whack.

Harpo - if you ever get to mid-Michigan I want you to call me because I'm going to buy you a beer. I have had three phone calls with DJI support; I have been all over Youtube looking and the internet looking for a solution; and I did a firmware upgrade as a final attempt. I had just called DJI to begin the process of returning my aircraft to them for repair when I received your post. One-half hour later I was flying my aircraft around our condo without any issues. I would never have thought, much like you experienced, that missing an 1/8" of one of my props would cause the back flick of the entire aircraft. Thank you my friend for saving my beaucoup bucks to have DJI "repair" my aircraft.

Hey not a problem! Glad I was able to help. Heck yeah if im ever up that way ill hit you up. Beer is my fav!:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic