Gimbal Motor Overload

Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm new to drones and just bought a Phantom 3 Standard this week. I try to do preflight checklists but a couple of times I have forgotten and left the Gimbal guard on after powering it up. It is usually when I don't plan on flying it but hooking it up to the computer to download media. One time it was for several minutes while I was downloading before I noticed it on there. I did forget once before one flight though as well. The gimbal seems to be working fine but what kind of damage could I have already done? If it does need repair because of it down the road, how costly is it to repair? Thanks in advance.

If gimbal is doing all operations, nothing bad has happened.

If gimbal motors are obstructed, they draw over current and start heating up and you get a message gimbal overloaded. If you are flying, motors will be cooled off and no damage might occur but if you leave it long on the ground with overload, chances are there that motors will burn.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: FlyingJello
Ok. Thanks. Both times have been on the ground. It seems to be working fine right now. Is there any way to run a check on all operations?

Power it up and check the operation of the gimbal and your camera view. You might want to either get a gimbal lock with a tag on it or put a sticker on the top of the drone to remind you to remove it. You're not the only one to have done this

This should fix it. It's a little overkill but I'll definitely see it. :)

Attachments

• lanyard.jpg
    lanyard.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 643
Reactions: Philltayl

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member