Gimbal Issues

Reaction score
Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this Forum.

This is my first post.

My Phantom 4 Advance had a mind of its own this afternoon and flew away 1/4 mile lost signal and flew in to a tree and fell to the ground. There are a couple of cracks in the housing but the drone connects with the controllers and functions normally....EXCEPT the camera gimbal seems to have an issue. The gimbal/camera is pointed down about 20 degrees and has a 15 degree range of motion and once powered on it just makes slight movements in this range. It does not respond to the gimbal control on the controller nor a gimbal calibration. I wished I could post the video I took of what is happening.

Are there any videos out there that might point me to a fix including how to replace the gimbal pitch motors.

There are also a couple of areas of the shell that have cracks. What can I use to patch those until I can order new shells.

Thanks for your help.

Randy

A quick Google search of ‘gimbal repair phantom 4’ gave several videos.
Can you upload your video to YouTube and post a link?

I forgot, Welcome from Florida. ?

@Capt KO

Here is a YouTube video of the issue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks

The video should help someone find an answer for you. Too many possibilities for me to help. I’m working on a couple with similar problems right now and I’m just starting off with the old standby, replace the ribbon cable and go from there.

DJI Only. No aftermarket.

It’s a good idea to order 2 gimbal ribbon cables if you haven’t installed one previously - think of the first one as a trainer cable. Like KO said, OEM only. Once installed, hopefully you’re done - or you see improvement. If it still acts funny, look for hot components in the gimbal spine. There’s 3 motors and a gimbal ESC board, any of which can have issues and heat up, giving clues where the problem lurks.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

Reactions: Capt KO
Tonight I turned on the P4A and tried a couple of things I had read on another forum. I went to touch the side of the Gimbal that has the silver cap on the right side(camera facing you) it was very hot. The left sice was a tad warm ans well as the Yaw motor.

Warm good, hot BAD. Look to be sure the camera is not getting hung up on the ribbon cable. Move it by hand to be sure and feel for any stiff or grinding areas. Should move freely.

I am going to remove the ribbon cable sheid tonight as that is where I feel and hear binding/dull click noise and see if that helps. Then go from there.

Reactions: Capt KO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic