Gimbal issues after crash...

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Girls!

I recently crashed my P4. I tried taking off from a friends boat but conditions were too windy.(really stupid on my part but no use cry over spilt milk)

As I took off a gust of wind blew the phantom backwards into the radar on the boat. After hitting the radar the phantom flipped and landed in the back of the boat. The props stopped spinning and it landed upside down. Thankfully it never went overboard and end up in a total loss. Since the crash I have had an issue with the Gimbal.At first it was giving me a message that the gimbal was disconnected. Also there was no signal to the ipad. Later I turned it on and the image signal came back. The gimbal was sitting skew and didn't level itself off. Also it was moving from the RC control but not has stopped working.

Now I took the camera and gimbal apart thinking maybe the ribbon cable was damaged it the accident. I cannot see any damage to the Ribbon cable.

My question for you guys is if I buy a new gimbal including the camera from dji will it resolve my issues? Is there anything in the body of the phantom that may be affecting the gimbal from working properly?

A situation like yours is almost always the ribbon cable or one of the grey flat ribbon cables. Damage to the flexible ribbon on the gimbal is often very hard to see. If you replace it, always get original DJI parts. Third party ribbons are cheaper, but they don't work! I would start by replacing the flexible ribbon. It's cheaper than a whole new camera and gimbal. It's the best place to start.

Try unplugging the cables and plugging them back in again. Sometimes that will resolve the issue. if your gimbal and camera are not physically damaged, then it is most likely a communication problem meaning one of the cables is loose, or the flexible ribbon cable is damaged. Once you get it working again, you should also do a "gimbal auto calibration". That should take care of the skewed gimbal.

As far as inside the body of the phantom: It is unlikely that anything inside the body is causing your issue. One of the grey ribbons does go in there, but it is fastened in a way that makes it very unlikely to come loose or disconnected. Not impossible, but very unlikely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20