Gimbal for Phantom 1

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here & have the 1st model of the Phantom drones & was thinking about buying a gimbal for it, but I don't know if my model is meant to have one. It came with a standard holder for a gopro but I've been checking on the internet and seen that there are some gimbals selling for reasonable prices. Can anyone tell me if I can fit mine with one before I spend money to buy one? Thanks.

1hdr4u.

The Walkera G2d gimbal is a great choice
http://www.amazon.com/Walkera-Gimba...F8&qid=1436317745&sr=8-2&keywords=walkera+g2d
There are two versions ,a plastic and metal one. I can say for a fact the metal one will take a beating and still work. It will mount easly to the Phantom.
In fact I have its big brother ,the G3d on a F550 that got away from me this past weekend and got hung on a electrical wire about 40 ft. up. It crashed to the ground . The gimbal still works after bending the frame back. The camera is another story...
Wayne

Last edited:
Okay but you didn't say whether or not it will fit my phantom which is the Phantom model 1. I guess they don't make the Phantom 1 anymore so thats why I was wondering if a gimbal would work with mine. Thanks.

I bought this one recently - http://www.ebay.com/itm/361146266923?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Here’s an early test -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I haven’t hooked up Naza Pitch (F2) control yet. Youtube has plenty of videos that pretty much explains how to wire it up. It's nuanced with no instructions so just the physical assembly can be a trip. Couple ways of getting power to it. You can go directly on the battery JST balance plug or use the stock P1 wiring run down a landing leg.

Not worked on it enough to get software working but it appears to be doable. Many of the instructions mention ‘Russian” version.

Do not need to program anything yet using Hero2. The main thing to ditch will be that stupid velcro strap. Just use heavy rubber bands to secure the camera on the bracket. Oh, and don't trust all of the photos in sales listings some of 'em are downright hilarious they're so messed up!

Okay but you didn't say whether or not it will fit my phantom which is the Phantom model 1. I guess they don't make the Phantom 1 anymore so thats why I was wondering if a gimbal would work with mine. Thanks.

Welcome to the party 4u,
Yep the Walkera G2d will fit your P1, it will also fit the FC40. The two birds are basically the same thing with different control frequencies.

You might want to take a peek in the P1 forums and the FC40 forums for lots of good info. Most questions have been asked and answered already.

What are you planning to put on the gimbal? You won't want to use the WiFi on a GoPro. It's on the same frequency as your controller... :eek:

There are some helpful links in my signature. Enjoy the show :D

Welcome to the party 4u,
Yep the Walkera G2d will fit your P1, it will also fit the FC40. The two birds are basically the same thing with different control frequencies.

You might want to take a peek in the P1 forums and the FC40 forums for lots of good info. Most questions have been asked and answered already.

What are you planning to put on the gimbal? You won't want to use the WiFi on a GoPro. It's on the same frequency as your controller... :eek:

There are some helpful links in my signature. Enjoy the show :D

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on putting a gopro on the gimbal but I won't be using wifi. I've done some research on you tube & it turns out that you have to do some rewiring in order for you to control the gimbal from the transmitter, at least on my phantom. I'd also have to buy a plug from radio shack to plug it into the gimbal. I didn't realize you had to do so much just to get it to work.

Oh yeah, it’s a “twisted” technical thing plus remember BLDC Gimbal adds weight and further degrades ground clearance using stock landing gear. To fix that you likely add more weight and now your bird begins to approach “frozen flying Turkey” characteristics. LOL…

If your radio TX doesn’t have the lever on back you’ll need to add that for F2 pitch control. Enable and calibrate in Naza. My TX already has it but ‘haven’t connected yet.

I just manually calibrate (button on gimbal controller) for a particular pitch angle per flight so Naza pitch control hasn’t been high on priorities. Particularly since my 5.8Ghz FPV display (more weight and connections on the P1) is hard to see in bright sunlight. Yes, stay away from wifi links.

At some point it’s time to just look for a good deal on P2. Prices have dropped drastically and by the time you mess around with reworking a nice little P1, the money is practically a wash.

I don’t mind because it’s my chosen hobby to mess around with wires, connectors, batteries, ESC, motors, FC, software, etc. Some folks just wanna fly, grab pics/video and that’s great too. Wise to enlist the help of knowledgable local parts/service community and enjoy your flying.

At the risk of going super-dorky here’s more gimbal testing which is mostly too fast but it was fascinating to work the gimbal/cam setup.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’m kinda tempted to buy another BLDC gimbal for handheld, chest and/or motorcycle use? Could be a fun little vacation action camera setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31