Gimbal and IMU Calibration Data Storage Location

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but I've spent considerable time trying to Google an answer. There are volumes of info and video on how to calibrate these two features as well as what the benefits of doing it are. My question however, is where is this calibration data stored ..... does it work and configure directly to the motherboard or is this data stored on the SD card with the rest of the flight data ?

does it work and configure directly to the motherboard or is this data stored on the SD card with the rest of the flight data ?
I can pretty much confirm it is not on the internal AC card. This data is stored someplace on the main board in non-volatile RAM would be my guess. My question would be, why do you need to know that storage location? That is useless in practicality.

The answer to your question is both simple and obtuse. This afternoon, I recalibrated both the IMU and Gimbal in preparation for a lengthy excursion. This required some care and effort in getting the components assembled and carefully leveling the surface for the P3A while calibrating. After this was accomplished, I put everything away and then realized that I had the wrong SD card in the P3. The one that was in the unit was not the one I used for flight and recording. It did not have the DJI required data files. I replaced the SD card with the correct one and wasn't sure if I would have to repeat the calibration process as a result. If as you say, this data is not stored on the SD card, then I should be ok as is. Thank you for your response and help :)

IMU calibration data is stored on Flight Controller internal flash. Details:
Wiki on m0306
Gimbal calibration data is stored on Gimbal MCU internal flash. Details:
Wiki on m0400

Thank you for your reply. One of the links you provided states "During startup, it is being loaded into memory at constant address and executed by a loader." I hope it's not being loaded into memory from the SD card .... that was my initial concern. But I am interpreting your answer to mean the data is stored in the drone itself and not the SD card.

the data is stored in the drone itself and not the SD card.
Correct. However you mentioned flight data. The flight data is not stored on the removable SD card. There is an internal SD card to the aircraft that stores the flight data. Neither card is related to your original question.

Correct. However you mentioned flight data. The flight data is not stored on the removable SD card. There is an internal SD card to the aircraft that stores the flight data. Neither card is related to your original question.

I guess "flight data" isn't the correct terminology. I am referring to the required download from DJI to the removable SD card (latest version for P3A is 1.11.20) required for proper function. These are some kind of BIN files? but not sure exactly what they do and wanted to be sure they didn't contain any calibration data. I've been flying for about 4 years but don't claim to know much about the science or technology of it ..... at 70 years old, I still somehow manage :)

I guess "flight data" isn't the correct terminology.

It is. If I remember correctly, the Go app has a button "Enter flight data mode". So it's OEM's terminology. It is just not related to the subject you were discussing.

I am referring to the required download from DJI to the removable SD card (latest version for P3A is 1.11.20)

That would be a firmware update file.

required for proper function.

That is very wrong. Firmware updates are not required for proper function, unless there is a specific issue which requires the update. Firmware updates just give you possibility to replace internal programming of the drone components with newer versions. That newer versions could bring benefits to the user, but only within a year of product launch. In later updates, Dji mostly focuses on improving spyware and reinforcing security to make it harder to modify or fix the drone. So the update, at best, brings no benefit to the user, while the user takes full responsibility on any issues caused by the update.

some kind of BIN files? but not sure exactly what they do and wanted to be sure they didn't contain any calibration data.

Firmware updates should be deleted from sd-card after the update is complete. Otherwise - the drone will check versions of all components on startup, and decide to cancel the update. But in case you'll replace any component, or the drone malfunctions, it might start an update in a moment when you don't want it, and this may completely damage it.

These are some kind of BIN files?
"Bin" file's...aka "Binary" Files. These are only the firmware updates and are always at the pilots option to do. Firmware updates are NEVER a requirement. I still fly my P3A on 3 year old firmware without issues.

I was not updating the firmware (the latest version dates back to 2017) but regardless, let me see if I understand this better ..... the firmware on the removable SD card transfers the data to the drone and is then not necessary for normal function. I should delete the firmware files from the SD card ?

Reactions: quaddamage
Personally because the BIN file is so small ... I leave it on the card ... that way if any new battery is used - it automatically gets updated without any need to download.

But as others have said - calibrations are stored in the respective flash memory areas of the respective boards and NOT on the SD card.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic