GEOFence at airport hanger? Do I need a 107 for commercial?

Reaction score
I am fairly new to drones, and working on my 107 currently. I am still learning, but have been flying model aircraft for 25+ years now (some background), and the flying part is fairly simple.

My question is this. I have a unique opportunity to do some commercial (paid) flying at a local airport to film an aerobatic plane and do some fun shots. I will be at the Airport in a hanger.. totally enclosed at the time of the flight... So, do I need to wait for my 107? As I understand it I will NOT be under FAA rules or airspace, but I will be "commercial" or furthering a business with a "registered drone". I am in the process of contacting DJI now to see how I can remove any geofencing that I may come across. Any input? Any idea how long or IF DJI will take to respond?

Maybe not, since you are inside a building. But I would question why you would want to do it that way! If you are in the hanger looking out through a window or even the hanger door, you range of motion is so limited that you wouldn't be doing much, if any better than the shots that you could take with a conventional camera on a pan and tilt tripod mount.

It's only "Inside" if the building is closed in such a way the drone cannot "unintentionally" get into the NAS. If the hanger door is wide open then I'm pretty sure the FAA is going to take issue with it on many different levels.

Your best bet would be to call your local FSDO and run this whole scenario by them because regardless what any of us say here on this forum only you and the FAA will be the ones in court should something happen.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
The hanger is closed completely. I spoke to a few people at the field, all ok from what they say. As far as using a regular camera, we would need zip lines and such for the shots they want. This is a large hanger., so space really is not an issue. Plenty of room to fly around the plane. My biggest issue is the GPS, and as long as I don't need the 107 to "profit" I will be ok. Airport manager is ok. It is in a red "restricted" area. So geofencing is my other hurdle. If I can't pull it off, I will wait until I get the 107 and fly out in the desert for the shots.. better background anyway.

Ok. From your second post, it sounds like you are taking some static shots (that is, the aircraft is static) and using the UAV to circle around it for different perspectives, etc. Then everything should be good as far as the FAA is concerned. Geofencing is another issue. If you have or can find someone with older versions of Go on their birds, you could turn geofence off. I for example, run 2.6 on my phantoms (and 1.9 on the firmware). Geofencing always turned off on mine. Yours is another example of a case where geofencing, as well intentioned as it may be, doesn't fit the situation.

Actually, the FAA or FSDO doesn't get involved if the flight is entirely indoors! The airspace inside of a building is not part of the NAS and the only one with jurisdiction there is the building owner.

Actually, the FAA or FSDO doesn't get involved if the flight is entirely indoors! The airspace inside of a building is not part of the NAS and the only one with jurisdiction there is the building owner.
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying, because I find it very interesting. Are you saying that since, A. The indoor flight is not part of the NAS, (plausible)
B. Part 107 requirement becomes null & void, too?
Makes sense to me if A is true. And, I could see how it could be.

I want to make sure I understand what you are saying, because I find it very interesting. Are you saying that since, A. The indoor flight is not part of the NAS, (plausible)
B. Part 107 requirement becomes null & void, too?
Makes sense to me if A is true. And, I could see how it could be.

From Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

4. If I'm just flying my UAS inside a building, or in my own yard, do I have to register it?

If you're flying indoors, you do not need to register your unmanned aircraft as the FAA does not regulate indoor UAS use. However, when flying in your own yard or over your own property, you will need to register your UAS if the UAS weighs more than 0.55 pounds.​

If the FAA does not regulate indoor flight, as that states, then Part 107 cannot apply.

The hanger is closed completely. I spoke to a few people at the field, all ok from what they say. As far as using a regular camera, we would need zip lines and such for the shots they want. This is a large hanger., so space really is not an issue. Plenty of room to fly around the plane. My biggest issue is the GPS, and as long as I don't need the 107 to "profit" I will be ok. Airport manager is ok. It is in a red "restricted" area. So geofencing is my other hurdle. If I can't pull it off, I will wait until I get the 107 and fly out in the desert for the shots.. better background anyway.

Ah these details make all the difference.

Initially it sounded like an Aerobatic Plane was going to be performing (assumption on my part) and I just couldn't understand how being inside the hanger would benefit at all. The aircraft is static and you're just getting inside aerials of it. That's pretty cool

So long as you've gotten the correct permissions (which it sounds like you have) you just need to get GEO-Freaking-Fence turned off LOL.

Good luck with this endeavor and getting your Part 107 in the future. Be sure to come back here and share some of your imagery with us after the fact.

From Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

4. If I'm just flying my UAS inside a building, or in my own yard, do I have to register it?

If you're flying indoors, you do not need to register your unmanned aircraft as the FAA does not regulate indoor UAS use. However, when flying in your own yard or over your own property, you will need to register your UAS if the UAS weighs more than 0.55 pounds.​

If the FAA does not regulate indoor flight, as that states, then Part 107 cannot apply.
Thank You. Makes perfect sense. I learn something everyday.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you again for all of the information, I hope I can get some good shots and share them here for you all. I am assuming indoor flight is how drones get away with dropping T-shirts in venues? I know that's another subject was just curious if anyone knew.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers