General question about quality and problems people have.

89f9fd21cee85ce67268beda637ca149.jpg

Another comment I found... Hmmm

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Google 9/11 and you'll discover that nobody ever set foot on the moon, too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My P3A flew over 20km now and I never had a single problem. Except with trees.

No problems here. I always keep up to date on firmware updates and my p3p flies with out any problems. I have always thought that people with stress cracks in the arms of phantom could be caused by people using carbon fiber props,and also flying in very cold weather could make the plastic more brittle. The reason why I say this is because I think carbon fiber props and flying in cold weather that maybe those props cause too much torque on the arms of the phantom. Just a theory, don't know if that's really your problem just my own opinion. what do u guys think?

Hi

I have a P3A (since February) - and I haven't had any issues what so ever.

I also did 2 firmware updates - so problems.

But thing is, it's very rare to find a user posting that his bird is doing just fine - because, if it is - then there's no reason to tell it :) - only if a problem occurs, one will post it on the forum - and this applies to almost all forums on the Internet (cars, etc.)

For many Phantom owners, perceptions of potential drone problems tend to be inflated out of proportion with the true situation.
This is because so much of what they read in forums is problem related.
Flyaways are the prime example.
Even though they are exceptionally rare for the P3, there's a popular misconceptionh that they are common.
The same goes for a lot of other issues.
Here's an article that explains this phenomenon well:
Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Drone Flyers

Reactions: FantomFlier
Just wondering how many people have not had any issues with there drones? I know this is a forum so people with problems usually come on to find answers but I was wondering are there that many problems with the phantoms? I have a p3a and love it and haven't had any issues. No cracks, no RTH problems, no firmware problems, always flies great. It seams all I ever here is bad stuff. Am I just lucky? Or are most people not having those issues?
Fortunately, it's a miserable day here in NM. Rain, some wind. I'm definitely not flying today. But I digress - sorry.

The only problems I have had with my P3P - up until Mar 26th, were all SUT's [stupid user tricks]. I've done every update to the RC, P3P, batteries and the GO app on my iPad [which I hate with a passion because of the piss-poor screen outdoors] - all without any problems whatsoever. I stopped "landing" my P3P long ago, and always hand catch when I'm done flying. I've had three "tip-overs" on landing - all due to wind gusts [again, NM] - never any problems hand catching. I always launch from the top of my Microraptor case.

Mar. 26th, I traveled 250 miles from my home to fly Sitting Bull Falls & Canyon. Unfortunately, flying the Falls is now restricted but I was able to fly the canyon - in spite of the right command stick somehow coming loose and moving down into the electronic board in the RC. When I discovered that happened, I figured "the damage is already done" and if I can fly by holding the joystick up against the top of the RC, I wasn't wasting a 500 plus mile round trip. Limited my flying to two flights over the canyon because I got the main canyon wall I wanted and considered the trip wasn't a waste.

I contacted DJI Monday the 28th. Within an hour I had an RMA and return label. On Wednesday Apr 6th, I received an email that my RC was repaired and shipped - no charge - and it will be here Monday. So "Fortunately, it's a miserable day here in NM. Rain, some wind. I'm definitely not flying today." also means -I have no RC to fly with anyway....;)

Take your time, use common sense, READ the instructions and follow them and you'll simply enjoy your Phantom. If you don't at least do those things - expect problems.

Last edited:
Just got mine out of the box yesterday, charged up the RC and the batteries and went into flight sim. Had a few flights in there without a problem until out of the blue I get a "firmware update required" and an RC signal lost msg with flashing yellow lights on the aircraft as well as within the app under status. How could it work so well for a few flights in FS and suddenly give me a msg that I need a firmware update which I can't do because my RC signal is always lost in the status of the app...HELP!

P3P. Not one problem since I got it last May. And I've stayed current with updates relatively soon after they come out. The only minor thing was the one firmware update where they broke the VPS, so I landed it slowly myself, which I usually do anyway. It was fixed in the next update.

The only reason I ask is that it was mentioned in one of the posts in this forum. I realize that you have to download the firmware updates and install them manually for the copter and the battery, but what about RC? Thanks

No problems here. I always keep up to date on firmware updates and my p3p flies with out any problems. I have always thought that people with stress cracks in the arms of phantom could be caused by people using carbon fiber props,and also flying in very cold weather could make the plastic more brittle. The reason why I say this is because I think carbon fiber props and flying in cold weather that maybe those props cause too much torque on the arms of the phantom. Just a theory, don't know if that's really your problem just my own opinion. what do u guys think?

I have carbon fiber props AND I fly routinely in cold weather. No cracks on two bodies. I fly it like a camera, not my Hubsan X-4 so I'm not stressing the airframe as much as some. But there were plenty of posts with cracks from people who (at least claim) they were flying pretty cautiously.

So we have a bunch of issues that were problematic - cracks, firmware that favored battery life over drone safety (how does that quite work, DJI) and a couple of others. The sad part is that DJI has been pretty closed lip. Kinda like their 'mentor', Apple.

Many of us here would be much happier if DJI talked a bit more in detail about what is going on. Since they don't the next best thing is to query a reasonable subset of users - which is what a forum tries to be. There will be successes and failures with this primitive form of reverse engineering. If you are prone to Sturm Und Drang, it's probably best to stay off the Internet entirely and just go for nice, quiet walks with your hamster.

I have carbon fiber props AND I fly routinely in cold weather. No cracks on two bodies. I fly it like a camera, not my Hubsan X-4 so I'm not stressing the airframe as much as some. But there were plenty of posts with cracks from people who (at least claim) they were flying pretty cautiously.

So we have a bunch of issues that were problematic - cracks, firmware that favored battery life over drone safety (how does that quite work, DJI) and a couple of others. The sad part is that DJI has been pretty closed lip. Kinda like their 'mentor', Apple.

Many of us here would be much happier if DJI talked a bit more in detail about what is going on. Since they don't the next best thing is to query a reasonable subset of users - which is what a forum tries to be. There will be successes and failures with this primitive form of reverse engineering. If you are prone to Sturm Und Drang, it's probably best to stay off the Internet entirely and just go for nice, quiet walks with your hamster.
So what do you think it is that causes cracks in the arms of the phantoms?is it just bad manufacturing or quality control from DJI or is it people flying way to aggressively? I'm with you DJI not giving us enough information when problems arise. I think ultimately it's something that's going to be a big problem for DJI..

That's no proof of correlation between the two facts.

Many policemen eat donuts, many policemen die under fire, but donuts are not causing death by gunshot.

what, hahahahaha what are you talking about [emoji23]

Just got mine out of the box yesterday, charged up the RC and the batteries and went into flight sim. Had a few flights in there without a problem until out of the blue I get a "firmware update required" and an RC signal lost msg with flashing yellow lights on the aircraft as well as within the app under status. How could it work so well for a few flights in FS and suddenly give me a msg that I need a firmware update which I can't do because my RC signal is always lost in the status of the app...HELP!

Coincidence maybe? Ihave been flying with this alert for while, I know I have to update but it didn't cause any trouble.

This happened to me this morning, too. The latest release requires that both the RC and the Phantom's firmware be updated. They are separate operations. You probably updated your RC from the app, which is correct. Next, the firmware doesn't need the RC or the app. Go to dji.com and get the appropriate ZIP file and put the .bin file into the root directory of your SD card. Insert the card into the Phantom and turn it on. The full instructions are available in many places on this forum and dji.com. Bottom line: on my P3P, it's not done until the little light on the camera (not the lights on the arms) stays solid green!!!! The big lights do lots of different things during a firmware update. Don't be fooled. Even the beeping sound can be confusing sometimes. Don't interrupt it. Make sure it's really done. Everything should be back to normal after the update.

Just wondering how many people have not had any issues with there drones? I know this is a forum so people with problems usually come on to find answers but I was wondering are there that many problems with the phantoms? I have a p3a and love it and haven't had any issues. No cracks, no RTH problems, no firmware problems, always flies great. It seams all I ever here is bad stuff. Am I just lucky? Or are most people not having those issues?

I've been doing this forum thing since the late 90s. It's always the same. Besides known issues like the cam follower on the MK5 GTI engines, I've never had these problems people always seem to have. Regardless of whether I'm in a car forum or something like this. I think some people just can't figure stuff out or aren't mechanically inclined. I don't know. But it's been like this forever no matter what type of forum it is. Same thing with reviews on Amazon and ****. It's a people thing. It's human hangups.

Best example is my mother. Every computer she's ever had breaks or gets a virus or some ****. I've never had a computer break. It's user error. It's how much do you care to understand the science and engineering behind things...if you even understand that stuff.

Well I really like my P3P. I have flown over 1,000,000 feet without a single issue but.. I just found a crack near one of the motors on my preflight inspection. I also believe I have worn out a bearing because there is a rattle that started a few days ago. I submitted a ticket to send it in. Will see how it goes..at any rate I don't think it's a lemon after flying it near 189 miles since I got it in December. I just chalk it up,to expected wear and tear.

Last edited:
Almost nobody reads the manuals anymore. It doesn't matter the product.
Computers, weedeater string spooling, firearms, drones, etc.

If they buy a computer they want to immediately compute, buy a weedeater immediately weed eat, buy a drone immediately fly.

Many issues could have been prevented by reading and understanding the manual first.

The other issues are simply reliability issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl