Gatwick airport closed due drone reported in area

Reactions: Loz
Great job, here is the latest.. 2 arrested for drone use in London Gatwick Airport case. I hope they put them in a dungeon where they belong.

Reactions: shegeek72
Rather than stopping flights why not use a shot-gun to bring them down?

They considered bringing in a sniper, but decided against it due to proximity to the public and employees. Similar reason why they didn't use drone jammers due to other wireless communications and equipment in the area.

It was a deliberate attempt to disrupt the air traffic to and from Gatwick by "environmental activists", using four drones hovering directly above each of the runways.

Unfortunately I am quite sure this will have a very strong impact on the upcoming EASA regulations. The "no drone flying outside your own house" regulation was just recently lifted here in Sweden, I guess we will soon see something like that again...

Last edited:
The two people arrested are apparently a man and a woman, local to the Gatwick area.

A witness saw a man in his 30s on Thursday evening on a country lane near the airport, wearing high-vis clothing and with a bicycle, frantically packing away two drones - one about 4ft and the other about 2ft. The arrested couple might be "eco warriors" against the planned expansion of Gatwick airport.

Edited to add: Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to wear high-vis fluorescent clothing. :cool:

Idiots.......Protest where you want but don't endanger other people....... I guess those fools wont be having a very merry Christmas ......................

The woman arrested has just been identified:

1545473381821.png

(For anyone outside of the UK who doesn't recognise the woman - head, if not the rest of the body - is Prime Minister Theresa May who has been having a difficult time getting her Brexit plan approved.)

Reactions: y2khardtop
Of course these idiots should be locked p and they keys thrown away, but for the sake of discussion....

Are the rules in the UK to slack? I imagine that someone flying a drone at 350 feet and 1.1 km from a major airfield could cause havoc to the airfield operations. But could such flying be claimed legal?

I am a DJI drone flyer, happily nowhere near an airport, but I believe that it would be better for DJI to ensure that geo-fencing could not be switched off else HMG will come in with totally over-the -top rules and regulations.

Could drones not be fitted with a unique electronic identifier broadcast and monitored whilst the drone motors are turning?

Reactions: Sixgun89
I haven’t read any of the posts or the articles but I noticed people seem concerned about something going on at Gatwick, and I happened to be nearby so I took my drone up to check and see what’s up ... everything looks unusually quiet at the airport itself, took a couple shots as I flew over and all around looking for whatever was the actual matter. Lots of police just outside buzzing around though, some are coming my way, I’ll ask them what’s up and let ya all know ... :)

IMG_1406.jpg

Two people (a man and a woman) were arrested on Friday night, in the Gatwick area, on suspicion of "criminal drone use". As of now, they are being questioned, but not charged yet. UK law allows for a maximum jail sentence of up to 5 years and unlimited fines, or both, if someone is convicted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t read any of the posts or the articles but I noticed people seem concerned about something going on at Gatwick, and I happened to be nearby so I took my drone up to check and see what’s up ... everything looks unusually quiet at the airport itself, took a couple shots as I flew over and all around looking for whatever was the actual matter. Lots of police just outside buzzing around though, some are coming my way, I’ll ask them what’s up and let ya all know ... :)

View attachment 106590

Let's hope that's a joke (see above).

Reactions: Drestin Black
Wow! You are all jumping straight on the Government storyline..
This has ALL the attributes of a FALSE FLAG ATTACK. They are wanting to get public opinion right behind something about a restriction coming up. Maybe a total ban on privately owned Drones.

Wow! You are either very adept at satire or you wear a tin foil hat to bed
That is BEING DONE ON PURPOSE to stop it happening, saw that a year ago. The black government does not want it to happen. Cheltenham has the headquarters of the UK/US European dirty tricks dept. and close to the HQ of the SAS who do it for them.

Wow!! Hard to process that.

Events like this only gives more tools for the "do gooders" to try to totally ban drone flying by everyone, whether the vast majority of us would not think of flying near an airport, there are always a scant few who cannot resist the chance to make a statement. Nothing like punishing the innocent to get to the guilty. Haven't we heard that before?

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: FlyingUser

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1