Gatlinburg, Tenn.

I flew there 3 years ago and things have changed some. Stay away from the National Park. Tennessee law prohibits using a drone to capture an image over certain open-air events and fireworks displays. I'd stay away from DollyWood and large crowds. Check the maps and use common sense. The rest is left up to your artistic abilities. Sorry I couldn't help you on your specific question. I did a Christmas video late at night in Pigeon Forge with few people around. Personally, I would have never done it in the daytime. Just too many people.

I'm local but haven't done a lot in the Gatlinburg area. As mentioned, the park is a no go (and actually adjoins Gatlinburg) and depending on what is going on crowds and traffic can be a mess. If you're looking for landscape type stuff, I would look at flying from either Pigeon Forge (several open/public places to take off from, look around Teaster Lane) or the Townsend area. Hope this helps!

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm just up the road from that area and we just got back from there on a long weekend trip.

Honestly what I saw was VERY disappointing.... flying right down the main strip (4 lanes of heavy traffic but it was slow, stop & go type) came 2 drones at night. First one was flying about 20' high and the other one just behind it was flying about 10' high. Both were small (mini would be my guess). As the two boys walked under our vantage point (we were on a street facing balcony) I politely mentioned flying over traffic and people was illegal and not a good idea. The younger boy decided to go ahead and land and in his urgency to land clipped a trash can and it bounced off the side walk. Didn't look like it hurt it but it sure upset several people who were within arm's reach of it.

The best part was the other one kept flying (now it's at night mind you) and as he ascended (I would think to fly over the building maybe to parking area etc) he clipped something in the air (powerline, branch etc) we couldn't see and it buzzed, lurched, buzzed, and landed upside down (whirling and making horrible noises) on an adjacent balcony. Last time we looked out police were out front taking witness reports and trying to sort things out. The hotel wasn't willing to let them come into someone's room to go on the balcony to get the "wounded" aircraft. The two kids father/guardian was not happy with them but he was there just about 50' behind them the whole time they were flying. I personally hope they didn't get it back and maybe even they were cited for unsafe behavior.

Sometimes it's better to leave our toys at home (or locked up in the car) and enjoy the vacation for what it is. Gatlinburg and PF are beautiful places (I don't like the crowds but oh well LOL) and they are fun to casually hang out and meander up and down the shops.

I totally agree with you. I may take mine with me, but that doesn't mean I'll fly it. The last time I was in your neck of the woods, I went from Cherokee to Maggie Valley.I stuck with my Nikon. Mainly waterfalls and mountain vistas. I really tooted my horn as I went by your town and said hi Big A. Then took the Blue Ridge back to Cherokee. I got some nice shots of the elk behind KFC. That's where I should have taken my P4 out and videoed the elk. I could have chased them all over the place. Lol Just kidding.

I totally agree with you. I may take mine with me, but that doesn't mean I'll fly it. The last time I was in your neck of the woods, I went from Cherokee to Maggie Valley.I stuck with my Nikon. Mainly waterfalls and mountain vistas. I really tooted my horn as I went by your town and said hi Big A. Then took the Blue Ridge back to Cherokee. I got some nice shots of the elk behind KFC. That's where I should have taken my P4 out and videoed the elk. I could have chased them all over the place. Lol Just kidding.

I also had mine with me but it never got out of truck.

Hope you had an AWESOME trip :)

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I'm local but haven't done a lot in the Gatlinburg area. As mentioned, the park is a no go (and actually adjoins Gatlinburg) and depending on what is going on crowds and traffic can be a mess. If you're looking for landscape type stuff, I would look at flying from either Pigeon Forge (several open/public places to take off from, look around Teaster Lane) or the Townsend area. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info.

> Stay away from the National Park

That don't preclude finding quiet public
place adjacent to park border & using
it as takeoff-landing spot, then flying
straight up for photos-videos, right?
Am not clear on legality of flying over
national parks once one is in air, as
long as wildlife is not disturbed...

Makes sense to me And flying a MMini, you probably wont be seen anyway

That's correct. They don't own the air so if you take off from nonNPS managed property and remain that way you should be good to do. Just remember if it goes down on NPS land you've opened up a whole new can of worms lol.

Reactions: Randy Sartin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic