FW upgrade? or not? Yes? / NO? P3P

Reaction score
Guys,
I've been reading these threads for a couple of nights now. I'm running DJI GO v2.4.3, Aircraft FW and RC are both at 1.3.2. I know I'm pretty outdated, and WANT to upgrade, but OMG!!!! .... Half the time I read.. " If what you have works, don't upgrade!" The other half of the time I read " Just upgrade to the latest and you will be fine"

I was thinking of just "staying with what works", and not worrying about it.. BUT today I wanted to see how IOC works. So I sent my P3P out about 100ft. and enabled IOC mode.

While in "F-Mode", and enjoying the IOC, I suddenly saw "SIGNAL LOST"!!!!!! .. at about 100ft out and both antennas upright and perpendicular and pointed towards the P3P. I SHOULD have had a solid signal for, what another 1000ft? So I flipped back to "P-Mode", and signal came back. ( coincidence? )

Point being, now I'm worried that I should upgrade everything, but OMG!! .... now I have no idea what to do with all the complaints of the latest SW and what people say about the "Update hell" they get themselves into.

HOW does everyone decide where their FW & app should be? Is there a "best combo" list? What are most P3P pilots doing??? so confused... HELP

Last edited:
You get no choice now you cant use the dji app unless you upgrade.perhaps firmware might be next

Ok Kerrylaw7307..just for reference I have app 3.1.2 aircraft 1.9.60 RC 1.8.0 works perfect ..I did not to update to latest firmware because don't wont any issues..in saying that whats your aircraft firmware? (signal issues will always happen).

For best signal with P3P keep both antennas upright and perpendicular..fly in free from interference like trees, buildings, telephone wires, radio antennas...I just go out of town..good luck kerrylaw7307.

You get no choice now you cant use the dji app unless you upgrade.perhaps firmware might be next
I see DJI's reason for forcing the update on us but the thing is is that what if something like v3.1.2 happens again? We would be either forced to use that version and crash our phantom or not use them at all!

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Guys,
I've been reading these threads for a couple of nights now. I'm running DJI GO v2.4.3, FW and RC are at 1.3.2. I know i'm pretty outdated, and WANT to upgrade, but OMG!!!! .... Half the time I read.. " If what you have works, don't upgrade!" The other half of the time I read " Just upgrade to the latest and you will be fine"

I was thinking of just "staying with what works", and not worrying about it.. BUT today I wanted to see how IOC works. So I sent my P3P out about 100ft. and enabled IOC mode.

While in "F-Mode", and enjoying the IOC, I suddenly saw "SIGNAL LOST"!!!!!! .. at about 100ft out and both antennas verticle, parrallel and me pointed towards the P3P. I SHOULD have had a solid signal for, what another 1000ft? So I flipped back to "P-Mode", and signal came back. ( coincidence? )

Point being, now I'm worried that I should upgrade everything, but OMG!! .... now I have no idea what to do with all the complaints of the latest SW and what people say about the "Update hell" they get themselves into.

HOW does everyone decide where their FW & app should be? Is there a "best combo" list? What are most P3P pilots doing??? so confused... HELP

I upgraded and now my P3P will not work. Be forewarned there is risk That is the risk we take from buying from a company that makes buggy products and does not give a dam about its customers. I hope my next drone will be made in the USA by people who care and take responsibility. Disillusion DJI customer.

You certainly can fly on any version you want, it's just a pain. If the app never connects to internet, it will never trigger the update message. This includes the app running in the background. And it's not dependent on auto update being on or off. If you ever do trigger the update message just clear app data.

P3A with Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

I agree with "nssdrone", as I have read that pilots have downgraded, side loaded, etc, various versions and can go back to almost any FW version they want.
Thank you everyone for the input. I think I'm sticking with 2.4.3. ;)

Guys,
I've been reading these threads for a couple of nights now. I'm running DJI GO v2.4.3, Aircraft FW and RC are both at 1.3.2. I know I'm pretty outdated, and WANT to upgrade, but OMG!!!! .... Half the time I read.. " If what you have works, don't upgrade!" The other half of the time I read " Just upgrade to the latest and you will be fine"

While in "F-Mode", and enjoying the IOC, I suddenly saw "SIGNAL LOST"!!!!!! .. at about 100ft out and both antennas upright and perpendicular and pointed towards the P3P. I SHOULD have had a solid signal for, what another 1000ft? So I flipped back to "P-Mode", and signal came back. ( coincidence? )

The intelligent flight modes were first introduced with 1.4, so if you want to use those then at least get to that level on your AC.

Reactions: JoBe
I see DJI's reason for forcing the update on us but the thing is is that what if something like v3.1.2 happens again? We would be either forced to use that version and crash our phantom or not use them at all!

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I agree Tyson ,surely that makes them more responsible if you had no choice and was there app update that caused the crash (you would have a good case)

You certainly can fly on any version you want, it's just a pain. If the app never connects to internet, it will never trigger the update message. This includes the app running in the background. And it's not dependent on auto update being on or off. If you ever do trigger the update message just clear app data.

P3A with Nvidia Shield K1 tablet
If you dont use the latest update then are DJI responsible ? This would be like moding your car which would void the warranty

I fly the P3A, ive upgraded to the latest on all items, never had an issue, as for the app you only need to update that if you want the newer things in the latest version, however a recent issue with erroneous home points has forced DJI to issue an update to the android app to fix it, and it is advisable to update or downgrade to the lower version, there is no best list if your quad flies then it flies and you don't need to worry, however DJi do say that you need to be updated for warranty purposes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic