full exterior crash cage for phantom

Sounds like several folks may be missing the point - for some of us who have the need to operate in extremely hazardous non-GPS friendly environments like caves, tunnels, mines, inside transmission line and cell tower frameworks, etc... where collisions with unseen obstacles like wires, cables, rock outcrops, tunnel timbers etc. are unavoidable and or inevitable, There is sometimes a need to provide protection around the aircraft in order to get the camera sensor to the right place at the right time, and hopefully get both the aircraft and camera back in one piece :)

With so many phantoms being crashed, why not a full exterior crash/roll cage? I know weight is a big concern, but i would think something made from aluminium wouldnt be too heavy. I would prefer the added weight for the extra protection you get. I'm not saying something crazy with tubes running everywhere, something basic, but strong enough to protect, like a square box shape.

I know there are good pilots out there that have never crashed. But even the best race car drivers in the world have a roll cage for protection.

Hi guys...

Though I'm not a drone pilot yet (purchasing a Phantom 4) I am a photographer (38 years) and a Thermographer (26 years) which uses an infrared thermal camera for electrical, petrochemical and industrial inspections. I've read several of your posts and there are a lot of good ideas but one thing to keep in mind... in building a cage for your drone use something that is non conductive like heat resistive plastics or fiber glass. I plan on creating a cage for my drone for both photography and industrial inspections. Good luck and fly safe!!!

Hi guys...

Though I'm not a drone pilot yet (purchasing a Phantom 4) I am a photographer (38 years) and a Thermographer (26 years) which uses an infrared thermal camera for electrical, petrochemical and industrial inspections. I've read several of your posts and there are a lot of good ideas but one thing to keep in mind... in building a cage for your drone use something that is non conductive like heat resistive plastics or fiber glass. I plan on creating a cage for my drone for both photography and industrial inspections. Good luck and fly safe!!!
Hi mate, did you managed to build a cage for your phantom 4? i am in the oil sector too, so i am looking for a way to use it for inspections. I saw that video on youtube but unfortunately cannot find any further information:

With so many phantoms being crashed, why not a full exterior crash/roll cage? I know weight is a big concern, but i would think something made from aluminium wouldnt be too heavy. I would prefer the added weight for the extra protection you get. I'm not saying something crazy with tubes running everywhere, something basic, but strong enough to protect, like a square box shape.

I know there are good pilots out there that have never crashed. But even the best race car drivers in the world have a roll cage for protection.

I dont know if this is a new or old thread, but i came up with a quick and easy solution. I tested it and hit a couple of walls with no problems whatsoever. The only thing is the extra weight will probably eat the battery quciker and the drone might be more off balance. But with a fresh battery flies well.

Attachments

• IMG_20171025_165023151.jpg
    IMG_20171025_165023151.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_20171025_165011571.jpg
    IMG_20171025_165011571.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 315
I work for a company based out of Las Vegas Called Drones Plus. I'm one of the developers and am actually in the process of creating a kind of "cage" that goes around the phantom itself. I just opened a Drones Plus in Miami, Florida and am building prototypes now. Prop guards are great but a lot of people don't realize they are only really useful on Side bumps and low altitude crashes. In the next couple of months we should have a working prototype that is similar to what motorcyclist use for stunt bikes. The cage will protect the most important aspects of the phantom including the props, motors, and gimbal/camera. It would be a light weight. I see more people break their gimbal rather than their props as funny as that sounds. If anyone has any questions or maybe interest in purchasing one of these, It would great to know how many people percentage wise would be interested. Feel free to call me anytime at 7868022034 or just add to this post it may be something you're interested in.
Yep

Sounds like several folks may be missing the point - for some of us who have the need to operate in extremely hazardous non-GPS friendly environments like caves, tunnels, mines, inside transmission line and cell tower frameworks, etc... where collisions with unseen obstacles like wires, cables, rock outcrops, tunnel timbers etc. are unavoidable and or inevitable, There is sometimes a need to provide protection around the aircraft in order to get the camera sensor to the right place at the right time, and hopefully get both the aircraft and camera back in one piece :)
bump A5 revised.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj