full exterior crash cage for phantom

Reaction score
With so many phantoms being crashed, why not a full exterior crash/roll cage? I know weight is a big concern, but i would think something made from aluminium wouldnt be too heavy. I would prefer the added weight for the extra protection you get. I'm not saying something crazy with tubes running everywhere, something basic, but strong enough to protect, like a square box shape.

I know there are good pilots out there that have never crashed. But even the best race car drivers in the world have a roll cage for protection.

Based on my tower crash, I've come to the conclusion that an all aluminium body ("Phantom 3 Special Ops") would be good for crashes. The legs were at least in my case a savior, despite the gimbal broke. The main concern I have is how shockproof the body is. I would be happy to pay more (1500-2000$) for a rigid metal body. Another solution could be carbon fiber, not just for the props. I have a feeling the Inspire series isn't any better at taking crashes, so ATM only a custom build will solve that.

I have been looking for some type of cage arrangement as well.
My use would be for aircraft protection flying in an old mine tunnel - I need to photographically document the 1st 500' of an old 1940's vintage drill and shoot tunnel. People are not allowed to go in due to safety reasons. Obviously will have to fly in Atti mode and the phantom is sure to drift in all directions.
I have the photography portion, lighting and positioning figured out. Just need to figure out how to address the inevitable top, bottom and side impacts.

Based on my tower crash, I've come to the conclusion that an all aluminium body ("Phantom 3 Special Ops") would be good for crashes. The legs were at least in my case a savior, despite the gimbal broke. The main concern I have is how shockproof the body is. I would be happy to pay more (1500-2000$) for a rigid metal body. Another solution could be carbon fiber, not just for the props. I have a feeling the Inspire series isn't any better at taking crashes, so ATM only a custom build will solve that.
People who have the new 3DR Solo and have crashed it have all commented on how resilient the body is. Not sure what sort of composite they chose for the body, but it is reportedly very tough stuff.

Reactions: Robert MacGowan
I work for a company based out of Las Vegas Called Drones Plus. I'm one of the developers and am actually in the process of creating a kind of "cage" that goes around the phantom itself. I just opened a Drones Plus in Miami, Florida and am building prototypes now. Prop guards are great but a lot of people don't realize they are only really useful on Side bumps and low altitude crashes. In the next couple of months we should have a working prototype that is similar to what motorcyclist use for stunt bikes. The cage will protect the most important aspects of the phantom including the props, motors, and gimbal/camera. It would be a light weight. I see more people break their gimbal rather than their props as funny as that sounds. If anyone has any questions or maybe interest in purchasing one of these, It would great to know how many people percentage wise would be interested. Feel free to call me anytime at 7868022034 or just add to this post it may be something you're interested in.

Me as well! I make sure to buy a gimbal saver for every phantom I buy. No crashes yet but I had to repair my first phantom, it was purchased crashed p2+. Don't want to do it again, might as well buy a whole new drone for the extra 200. New gimbal is not worth the money alone

Love it when the wheel is being improved, get the impact material to obsorbe the shock

I didn't do well in chemistry but that's when we had less than 100 elements

I have been looking for some type of cage arrangement as well.
My use would be for aircraft protection flying in an old mine tunnel - I need to photographically document the 1st 500' of an old 1940's vintage drill and shoot tunnel. People are not allowed to go in due to safety reasons. Obviously will have to fly in Atti mode and the phantom is sure to drift in all directions.
I have the photography portion, lighting and positioning figured out. Just need to figure out how to address the inevitable top, bottom and side impacts.

That sounds like an awesome place to record. I think if you stay low enough for VPS to be active you should be ok. Unless the 500' is down then I would go for some prop guards at least but I hear even adding those changes how they fly.

That sounds like an awesome place to record. I think if you stay low enough for VPS to be active you should be ok. Unless the 500' is down then I would go for some prop guards at least but I hear even adding those changes how they fly.
My P3P flies quite well with PGs.
2cents.gif

A cage in a phantom is like floats on the arms of a swimmer: It may help a first time flyer/swimmer from a big fail, but it will definitely get in the way of a good flight/swim for everybody else.

If you need to put any sort of cage in a phantom, then you should definitely consider a new hobby, because UAV flying isn't for you!!!

i guess professional race car drivers shouldnt drive without a roll cage, and professional motorcycle racers shouldnt ride with a helmet.

Reactions: abhishekraol
i guess professional race car drivers shouldnt drive without a roll cage, and professional motorcycle racers shouldnt ride with a helmet.

What an excellent analogy!

neither the rollbar on the race car, nor the helmet on the motorcycle racer impede their work. They actually help it.
A cage on such a weight sensitive device as an aerial videography platform (or floats on a swimmer) do. See the difference?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
neither the rollbar on the race car, nor the helmet on the motorcycle racer impede their work. They actually help it.
A cage on such a weight sensitive device as an aerial videography platform (or floats on a swimmer) do. See the difference?

a race car is a weight sensitive device.....hence why they strip the interior and remove
anything non-essential. Adding a roll cage adds weight to the vehicle. The more weight you add the more power the car has to make....power to weight ratio.

Anyways, the purpose of the thread is not to debate whether you should have one or not...I just wanted to find out if anyone has made one.

Arguing that a full cage would impede the aircraft without one ever being made or tested yet , is a bit silly isnt it?

Arguing that a full cage would impede the aircraft without one ever being made or tested yet , is a bit silly isnt it?
Is it? Well someone could ask if someone already built a big football enclosing the entire Phantom. Is is silly to say it impedes the Phantoms work without building one?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
People who have the new 3DR Solo and have crashed it have all commented on how resilient the body is. Not sure what sort of composite they chose for the body, but it is reportedly very tough stuff.
True, i would also say a polymer shell or carbon tube frame is the best. Inspire is fragile because of the folding arms system. Polymer can be super tough, the P3 shell isnt. For example the material Glock guns are made from is super tough, it has nylon in it as far as i know. I think it is Polyamid P66. Its lightweight and strong and looks premium.

And unless you plan on riding inside or atop your drone, your analogy is just silly.

The roll cage is to protect the driver.
The helmet is to protect the driver.
Your analogy would work if you were talking about constructing a cage for the pilot so the drone won't hit him/her.

Reactions: Marlin009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20