FPVLR VS. DBS

Thanks man no I am way past 1300 mah. if you end up getting a battery mod I will point you in the right direction. Its my secret weapon.
Ok cool I ordered the power mod 1 from horizons. It's a mod to the smart lipo itself and it allows for 2 more ex 111 to be connected to the bird. I have been looking around at a few different options . I'm just not sure of which one is best . Weight to power ratio to use.

OK guys,

I want to get a battery mod for my P3P...I've just about hit the limit with the stock battery at nearly 18K'.

Which mod are you happy with: Horizon, FPVCustom internal mods, or a battery mod just to the battery itself and not touching the actual airframe, or something else...?

TIA for your input.

:harry

I ordered the horizon power mod 1 which is a modified smart battery . I'll let you know how it performed in a couple weeks when I get it .

Last edited:
The connections are the same. The sunhans amp will come with cables . However I recommend upgrading to some thicker rg 402 sma male to rp sma male cables. Ebay has them and also fpvlr.com sells some too.

I have purchased a wind surfer, DBS and FPVLR v2 and tested each on a track that is line of sight part of the way at 400', but eventually is blocked by a tree. From my own experience, none of these extended the range very much once the tree came into play. Stock distance vs any of the antenna boosters varied by no more than 1000'. I'm not seeing any significant penetration with any of these unboosted solutions. I'm sure these help in open areas with line of site, but my results in situations where trees may block the signal don't show a significant increase in range.
I could not disagree more!! Yesterday I tested my DBS mod but yet again and flew 3 flights in exactly the same route, same height and in same clear sky sunny day with low winds. Each time from my house and I am sitting at 121 metres and everything around me is up as in steady incline as I am in a valley. My house is totally trees other then the driveway so with the fact i am in a valley and heavy trees this provides lots of blocking of signal. Each test flight I flew at least double the distance with the DBS and almost three times the distance on one flight. I know there are many variables that can affect the signal but I believe the DBS purchase will certainly enhance/ double distance in areas with heavy obstacles to block the signal well it did for me big time!! Now keep in mind on most of these flights I was getting 800-1000 metres without the DBS and still with heavy interference I went from 1km to a little over 3 well 3100 metres to be exact before i lost the signal. No idea about the FPV but I may know soon enough

Get it on WWW.FPVLR.COM

we are carrying out tests with a lighter weight battery mod, it should be interesting.

Tony...are you going to be selling / installing your battery mod? I love my P3 v2 advanced controller kit and now need supplemental battery capacity.

Let us know.

:harry

FatTwoTonTony, I'm not sure how you can disagree with the facts of my testing. I'm glad you're getting the results I was hoping for, but my testing has not yielding any significant advantages using either solution. There may be other factors in play that I am not aware of, but even in fairly open spaces, I was only getting out 2 miles at best. I wish I knew how people are seeing 4-5 miles with no drop off. I would be afraid to push out more than 3 miles without a battery mod though. Once the leaves fall, I'm going to see how much that has been affecting my range.

FatTwoTonTony, I'm not sure how you can disagree with the facts of my testing. I'm glad you're getting the results I was hoping for, but my testing has not yielding any significant advantages using either solution. There may be other factors in play that I am not aware of, but even in fairly open spaces, I was only getting out 2 miles at best. I wish I knew how people are seeing 4-5 miles with no drop off. I would be afraid to push out more than 3 miles without a battery mod though. Once the leaves fall, I'm going to see how much that has been affecting my range.
I was disagreeing with both your statement regarding no significant improvement in range and no penetration improvements. I appreciate that is what you have experienced my point was simply my experience is very different.

I was disagreeing with both your statement regarding no significant improvement in range and no penetration improvements. I appreciate that is what you have experienced my point was simply my experience is very different.
Truth is you'll have to"agree to diagree"!
I can fly a buddies phantom for testing and he'll see that i got 2 miles and he"ll come out to the same spot only get half that but then go to his favorite spot and do great! It all about location , enviroment & really which day of the week it is!

Truth is you'll have to"agree to diagree"!
I can fly a buddies phantom for testing and he'll see that i got 2 miles and he"ll come out to the same spot only get half that but then go to his favorite spot and do great! It all about location , enviroment & really which day of the week it is!
I can agree with that. I wish I knew why there are so many large differences in people's test results.

Thanks man no I am way past 1300 mah. if you end up getting a battery mod I will point you in the right direction. Its my secret weapon.

Hi UnknownCaller,
I myself have a battery mod, I fly with the 1300 mah,
can you point me in the right direction with your secret
weapon....
thanks boss,.....Kevin

Hi UnknownCaller,
I myself have a battery mod, I fly with the 1300 mah,
can you point me in the right direction with your secret
weapon....
thanks boss,.....Kevin
The same batteries are also available in 1600, 1800, and 2200 mah:cool:

Last edited: