FPV lag; tablet operating temps

Oso

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I went out flying with my son yesterday afternoon. It was the first hot day of the year, with an ambient air temp of around 102F/39C. I knew that temp was just below the published operating limit for the P3, but I was only planning a quick flight of about 10 minutes so I felt as if I had enough buffer.

The P3 itself flew perfectly as always, but the FPV was very laggy. Up until that flight I had only seen impressively smooth FPV. With so much lag all of a sudden, if I flew beyond VLOS it would have been too dangerous. I was only flying over a soccer field with clear VLOS, so I just continued and recorded the video I wanted and hoped the video file was okay. When I got home, I checked the video clip which was very smooth so no issues.

I started to research FPV lag, and saw how many people seemed to be having issues following the latest app update for iOS. I use an iPad Mini 2, so I dug deeper down that path and all the talk of enabling hardware decoding, etc. That's when I realized how low of an operating temperature is listed for my tablet. Max is only 95F/35C, and I was outside of that limit.

Now I'm assuming that the ambient air temp at 102F/39C was just too high for the iPad Mini 2, and that was the root cause of the bad FPV lag rather than anything to do with the P3. I'm concerned that I won't be able to fly much during the hot summer months if I continue to use the iPad Mini.

Have any of you guys had issues with FPV monitor (tablet/phone) performance in high summer temps? Is there a monitor known to work well in higher temps? Am I making an incorrect assumption about the root cause of the lag?

Reactions: JoBe and Mike Mauk
I'm almost 100% convinced it's caused by overheating. I've suspected it was the cause from the beginning, when guys were getting lag because they were flying with their device in a case. That was early spring when the weather wasn't hot yet. Now that it's summer, a bunch more are complaining about lag (flying caseless due to the problems in the spring), but blaming it on the new firmware update, which happened to get pushed out in the summer. Considering there are also guys running 1.8 FW and noticing lag, I may even consider betting a spare battery on the fact.

I started getting lag for no apparent reason. Smooth for first couple of weeks ownership but stuttering ever since. I live in uk and haven't seen temperature above 18c at all yet so that ain't the problem. Not upgraded app or firmware either.

Im in uk ios ipad air 2 version 8.1 didnt upgrade ipad firmware to 8.xx not had probs as of yet
just my findings

I've been seeing lag on my iPad Mini 2 also. I've found that restarting the app (which you can do safely mid-flight) fixes the lag.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I've been seeing lag on my iPad Mini 2 also. I've found that restarting the app (which you can do safely mid-flight) fixes the lag.
I have also restarted the app mid-flight for various reasons in the past. The lag issue yesterday was much different than anything I've seen before and restarting the app made no difference this time.

I talked with my Apple tech last week. I suggested a damp cloth behind the Air 2. He didn't see any reason why that wouldn't work to help cool things down. Just be sure it is damp, not wet, he said.

I went out flying with my son yesterday afternoon. It was the first hot day of the year, with an ambient air temp of around 102F/39C. I knew that temp was just below the published operating limit for the P3, but I was only planning a quick flight of about 10 minutes so I felt as if I had enough buffer.

The P3 itself flew perfectly as always, but the FPV was very laggy. Up until that flight I had only seen impressively smooth FPV. With so much lag all of a sudden, if I flew beyond VLOS it would have been too dangerous. I was only flying over a soccer field with clear VLOS, so I just continued and recorded the video I wanted and hoped the video file was okay. When I got home, I checked the video clip which was very smooth so no issues.

I started to research FPV lag, and saw how many people seemed to be having issues following the latest app update for iOS. I use an iPad Mini 2, so I dug deeper down that path and all the talk of enabling hardware decoding, etc. That's when I realized how low of an operating temperature is listed for my tablet. Max is only 95F/35C, and I was outside of that limit.

Now I'm assuming that the ambient air temp at 102F/39C was just too high for the iPad Mini 2, and that was the root cause of the bad FPV lag rather than anything to do with the P3. I'm concerned that I won't be able to fly much during the hot summer months if I continue to use the iPad Mini.

Have any of you guys had issues with FPV monitor (tablet/phone) performance in high summer temps? Is there a monitor known to work well in higher temps? Am I making an incorrect assumption about the root cause of the lag?
I Had this today and that's why im checking you post
95 here and very bad lag no way I could fly it without actual sight of it. I am usinga Ipad air and then fired up the Iphone 6+ and within a few minutes had the same issue.
I Was hoping is was just interference from wifi boosters in area as its a large waterpark with free wifi
But when I got home I fly a flight with each device and still have issue this sucks
I never had problem with feed on my PV2 when in high summer temps:(:(
I tried everything closed airplane mode nothing helps My only hope is the ipad air 2 will be ok as Im due for a upgrade

update temps down to 84 no more lag on flights from home but lost connection 2 times in 10 minute flight that only restarted with full app close and reopen have not had that before either

Last edited:
I talked with my Apple tech last week. I suggested a damp cloth behind the Air 2. He didn't see any reason why that wouldn't work to help cool things down. Just be sure it is damp, not wet, he said.
this will work maybe if you don't have a shield but not room for a rag and a sheild:(

I'm almost 100% convinced it's caused by overheating. I've suspected it was the cause from the beginning, when guys were getting lag because they were flying with their device in a case. That was early spring when the weather wasn't hot yet. Now that it's summer, a bunch more are complaining about lag (flying caseless due to the problems in the spring), but blaming it on the new firmware update, which happened to get pushed out in the summer. Considering there are also guys running 1.8 FW and noticing lag, I may even consider betting a spare battery on the fact.
So are options are what don't fly in the summer?:mad:

First time I ever got lag or the feed went grainy was yesterday when it was 95 degrees out and I had a thick case on my iPhone 6 Plus.

To be honest, I don't t know. I've never tried watching a streaming 720p movie with subtitles while standing in the sun. That'd probably be a good test. I'm guessing there would be similar results. I mean, it makes sense from a hardware perspective. For those with the lag issues, try flying from inside your car with the a/c on. That's another good test.

I too think the heat is getting to my Mini 2. There must be a created way to cool it down, I mean besides the rag idea which would probably work for a little bit. You have to think as well that we are cranking brightness all the way up too so that doesn't help things. Wonder if the other USB port on the controller will output a little power for a small USB fan or something like that, I dunno.

There seems to be a lot of them out there and with a mini USB adapter if the controller outputs power it might work?
6sVO9nc.jpg

Last edited:
Same issues with ipad mini 2. Lag and picture would cut in half, freeze then come back....Scary stuff. I do keep mine in a case indoors and its a short trip most of the time, just a few blocks. It does come on about 4 to 5 minutes into flight so heat is the logical culprit. It was around 90 today when I went out.

Just to bump a question in my original post:

Is there a monitor (phone/tablet) known to work well in higher temps?

There are plenty of new fliers out there, but also plenty of more experienced fliers who must have flown in warm temps over the last few years.

Just to bump a question in my original post:

Is there a monitor (phone/tablet) known to work well in higher temps?

There are plenty of new fliers out there, but also plenty of more experienced fliers who must have flown in warm temps over the last few years.
I've been flying for 2 1/2 years never had an issue of heat this is the first for me it most definitely is a heat and not an app issue unless the app is drawing too much causing the heat and did a flight this morning temperatures in the 70s no issues whatsoever

On a sidenote I do have a lagging issue of a gimbal vibration it's almost a constant every three second thing like a wave go through the gimbal I've tried three different sets of props Two of which I have balanced I tried the camera at different angles and I tried different ball dampers none of which you seem to resolve the issue I'm starting to think maybe I have a bad gimble only thing is I don't see it ever if I did set phantom on picnic table and record so it is a vibration caused during flying kind of at a loss as to what to do guess maybe I have to send it back

You guys on iOS make sure you have hardware decoder on.. see if this helps..

Reactions: Mike Mauk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers