FPV: I need some help choosing and knowing what to buy!

Reaction score
Hello!
Phantom 2 - Zenmuse H3-3D GoPro 3black here!

Ive been roaming this forum back and forth, and it seems like every drone pilot has different uses, and therefore all the different setups etc..
I really enjoy making films, editing and shooting. This Aerial world is kind of new to me with all the technical stuff..

So, my case is: Im a hobby film maker, I want to know what Im filming when in the air.
I want a good setup, not something cheap with a low range or poor quality.
I need an FPV which is really accurate and no lag.
"Screen vs Goggles", dont really care - goggles look cool, dont know if it will make a difference :p

Can you, kind Sir, please tell me: "You need to buy *THIS*, and *THIS*... Also, if you want really good *BLABLA* purchase *THAT ONE* " ?

Im from Norway and I would like to buy online.
Any recommendations on which store to buy this from?

I published my first test movie yesterday, and I see a lot of potensial with an FPV setup when looking at my movie.
( i published the video here: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21709

Thank you for taking the time and helping me out, I really appriciate it!
also: very sorry if theres an answer to this somewhere and it is already answered!

Hong Kaakon

this is pretty much the most common question in this forum, I'm surprised you couldn't find any other threads to read through ;)

I'm going to try to help you get started with some core principles, copy/pasted from another thread:
QYV said:
One of the first concepts you need to be clear on is the 2 different "families" (manufacturers) of equipment in the 5.8Ghz range... Boscam vs Fatshark/ImmersionRC.
Boscam compatible equipment uses frequency/channels 5705, 5685, 5665, 5645, 5885, 5905, 5925, and 5945
ImmersionRC uses frequency/channels 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860

notice the difference? Receivers tend to work better with 1 family or the other... while there are some "32 channel receivers" that list compatibility with both systems, scuttlebutt around here is they still work better with 1 set or the other, so I advise you make sure you get receiver equipment (goggles or screen) compatible with your transmitter. If you buy a kit this won't be a problem as the kit was built with compatible equipment, but if you're looking to save $ or build a system yourself you need to be aware of the above concept. btw, this difference does NOT apply to antennas... as long as you get 5.8Ghz antennas, they'll work with either set.

speaking of antennas, they are just as or more important than the core equipment you buy. A powerful transmitter with a shitty antenna attached will perform much worse than a low power transmitter with great antennas. I started off with crappy $10 antennas and a 200mW transmitter and granted I was in urban environment with high interference but I was only getting 50m max.

Now I have a Boscam TS352 500mW transmitter combined with the FPVLR 3 antenna kit (2 spiral 1 helix) and it's rock solid out to 600m with only the pinwheels I haven't even had to use the helix yet.

Honestly, the ImmersionRC family of equipment while slightly more expensive is easier. The "immersion rc 600mW" transmitter that tons of people use draws less power the Boscam and there are pre-made cables from firstpersonview.com (or .co.uk) so that you can install a system with no cable patching or soldering at all.

You're almost certainly going to want to include an iOSD Mini to the setup so you can see tons of useful information on the FPV display.

The only thing I can't really advise on is the display screen to get with the iRC transmitter. There's a few options and there's some debate which ones work well or not... I don't pay close attention to those threads since I'm in the Boscam family of equipment.

ps. if you go with a display (vs goggles) you'll probably want a cool monitor mount like this one, it's really great

Wow! Thank you guys! And again, sorry for lack of looking-skills! This helps out alot!

I will (try to) search better next time!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20