FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: FPV Booster app DOUBLE FPV Range

Today i finished the "ez-12" signal reflector for the RC antenna, so i made some test.
I removed the propellers, I put the phantom in a room, I turned all ON, and I activated the wifi booster.
Wanting to simulate the loss of RC signal to see if with the reflector signal I was able to regain control, I have moved to another room (=a wall in the middle). No problem with both signals.
Then I moved to a farther room (=two walls in the middle). Still no problem.
A more distant room (=3 walls from me and the phantom): "phantom connection broken" ... uhmmmm no "Control signal lost"?
So the standard RC antenna signal is more powerful than the boosted wifi video connection?
Being stubborn to test the RC signal and not the wifi one, I tried to disturb the RC signal with aluminum foil.
Nothing, only and ever "phantom connection broken".
At last , I completely wrapped the RC antenna with aluminum foil, wrapped several times, I think 8 or 10 layers.
Always and only "phantom connection broken"!!
But then it is useless to amplify the RC signal, if the weakest (despite being boosted) is the wifi signal?!?!

Smb said:
Today i finished the "ez-12" signal reflector for the RC antenna, so i made some test.
I removed the propellers, I put the phantom in a room, I turned all ON, and I activated the wifi booster.
Wanting to simulate the loss of RC signal to see if with the reflector signal I was able to regain control, I have moved to another room (=a wall in the middle). No problem with both signals.
Then I moved to a farther room (=two walls in the middle). Still no problem.
A more distant room (=3 walls from me and the phantom): "phantom connection broken" ... uhmmmm no "Control signal lost"?
So the standard RC antenna signal is more powerful than the boosted wifi video connection?
Being stubborn to test the RC signal and not the wifi one, I tried to disturb the RC signal with aluminum foil.
Nothing, only and ever "phantom connection broken".
At last , I completely wrapped the RC antenna with aluminum foil, wrapped several times, I think 8 or 10 layers.
Always and only "phantom connection broken"!!
But then it is useless to amplify the RC signal, if the weakest (despite being boosted) is the wifi signal?!?!
Interesting test. You may try CSC to start/stop the motors (props off) at 3 walls apart, then you may know whether you have the control link or not. If you don't take off, I bet it wouldn't trigger those Control signal lost, Coming home warnings.

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

LMC said:
PVFlyer said:
We submitted the new FPV Booster V2 (AKA Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster) to Apple for approval. The V2 equips with a new ICA (Interference Control Algorithm) engine for further improving the FPV performance in both open and urban area.

I anticipate to take 3-5 working days for Apple to review it. I will keep you posted if any updates.

Is this new upgrade let me fly over 12000ft Lever6 setting? :twisted:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhAvIT7-ZWI[/youtube]
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... lee-45593/
Yes, the new V2 update is using the same V2 engine that you flew over 12000ft.

So you designed the booster app that is already out there and have another booster app coming out shortly? Thanks (I didn't want to read 140 pages)

J.

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

Smb said:
ToddSmi said:
Installing the lever on the transmitter is easy. However, that won't do you any good on the V+ unless someone figures out how to re-enable the 7th channel capability. PVFlyer is working to make this happen via his app. We are all waiting anxiously to see if he is able to pull it off. Stay tuned in this thread!

The 7th channel wasn't disabled by DJI to avoid interferences with other components? If rehabilitated, what happens to the interference?
It should not be extra RF interference while tilting control is switching from 2.4G to 5.8G. Both frequencies are using by P2V+ anyway.

JWarren said:
So you designed the booster app that is already out there and have another booster app coming out shortly? Thanks (I didn't want to read 140 pages)

J.
I volunteered to design these FPV Booster apps V1, V2 and Pro version with required tweaks and algorithms. My dev. buddy implements my designs to both iOS and Android apps. V1 (iOS & Android) was first released in May. We submitted V2 (iOS) to Apple a few days ago for approval and Android V2 will be ready in a few weeks later. We have been beta testing the Pro version as well.

Do you have a release date for a non+ booster version?

PVFlyer said:
Interesting test. You may try CSC to start/stop the motors (props off) at 3 walls apart, then you may know whether you have the control link or not. If you don't take off, I bet it wouldn't trigger those Control signal lost, Coming home warnings.

The drone was definitely "connected and aware" of the RC signal, because moving the stick to "rotate", even with the engines off the camera tilted slightly toward the direction of rotation (among other things I did not know this behavior: basically the camera "accompanies" the rotation of the drone)

Luap said:
Do you have a release date for a non+ booster version?
The non-plus booster app is half-way done, but it's been pending due to very busy working on channel-7 lever. We will come back to non-plus booster for sure once we settle down a bit the current work.

As I mentioned last week, my dev. buddy bought a brand new P2V+ but Wifi was dead after 10 minutes video streaming. He brought it back to the shop for replacement the next day, luckily there were still 3 sets in stock (used to have 10 sets when he bought that 2 days ago, pretty demanding DJI product). He tested the rest of all 3 sets carefully by streaming video. Bloody hell, all remaining 3 sets Wifi were dead after <10 minutes video streaming. Per the shop owner, the other 7 sets sold had reported the similar problem. It seems the whole lot (10 sets P2V+) with the same quality issue. My buddy has to wait till coming Friday for next lot P2V+ delivery.

I bet this is due to heat issue of video decoder chip and/or Wifi Atheros chip. When power on the aircraft WITHOUT video streaming, Wifi connection seems fine. When turn on camera in VISION app to start video streaming, Wifi connection is dead after <10 minutes streaming. In some cases, there is no Wifi connection at all (likely Wifi chip fried). In other cases, only camera black out but telemetry data available (likely video decoder chip or even camera fried). This is likely a serious design bug or quality control issue of Wifi/video module residing inside P2V+ aircraft.

PVFlyer said:
As I mentioned last week, my dev. buddy bought a brand new P2V+ but Wifi was dead after 10 minutes video streaming. He brought it back to the shop for replacement the next day, luckily there were still 3 sets in stock (used to have 10 sets when he bought that 2 days ago, pretty demanding DJI product). He tested the rest of all 3 sets carefully by streaming video. Bloody hell, all remaining 3 sets Wifi were dead after <10 minutes video streaming. Per the shop owner, the other 7 sets sold had reported the similar problem. It seems the whole lot (10 sets P2V+) with the same quality issue. My buddy has to wait till coming Friday for next lot P2V+ delivery.

I bet this is due to heat issue of video decoder chip and/or Wifi Atheros chip. When power on the aircraft WITHOUT video streaming, Wifi connection seems fine. When turn on camera in VISION app to start video streaming, Wifi connection is dead after <10 minutes streaming. In some cases, there is no Wifi connection at all (likely Wifi chip fried). In other cases, only camera black out but telemetry data available (likely video decoder chip or even camera fried). This is likely a serious design bug or quality control issue of Wifi/video module residing inside P2V+ aircraft.

Very interesting. After the initial batch of V+ were released, we really didn't hear much about video streaming / wifi problems. But lately, many complaints have surfaced. Some on this thread below have also concluded it to be a heat problem.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16182&start=130

Some have gone as far as to put their V+ in the freezer and say it temporarily helps video performance. Maybe DJI had a large production run with bad batch of supplier parts. Increasing the robustness of the QC process may in hindsight turn out to have been much less costly to DJI. Anyhow, we appreciate your efforts and know you are working as fast as you can :D

I found the booster app ratings are with 2 extremes mainly of the best (5-star) and the worst (1-star), whereas not many moderate ratings. I know it's IMPOSSIBLE to expect all users happy and satisfactory, but I'm willing to know and help those unhappy users.

After some investigations on those 1-star ratings/reviews, I have summarized several common findings or misunderstandings as a FAQ below.

Q1. FPV of my stock P2V+ can only reach 200ft. It always has black out or jittered screen. Why can't I fly 5000ft with smooth FPV like many of other users after boosted?
A1. Stock P2V+ with only 200ft FPV or black out screen indicate hardware/software issues of DJI products. The booster app is not a magic, which would not be able to resolve those hardware/software issues.

Q2. There is no improvement of control range after boosted. Why do I still get "Control Signal Lost" message flying at the same distance.
A2. The booster app only improves 2.4G FPV video/telemetry link, while it CANNOT enhance the 5.8G control link. "Control Signal Lost" is due to 5.8G control signal dropped out.

Q3. When I fly in urban area after boosted, why does it perform less than 50% extra range as advertised?
A3. If you fly in some area with strong 2.4G interference, FPV range is substantially shorter than open field regardless using the booster app or not. It may also affect the extra range after boosted. We will release a new FREE upgrade "FPV Booster V2" to address the interference issue and minimize the impact of interference.

Q4. The booster app uses a software hack to access P2V+ firmware. What if DJI patches the firmware through future software update, this app may not work.
A4. There is no way to guarantee what will DJI update/patch firmware in future. We will do the best for sure to cope with whatever changes in future DJI firmware update/patch.

Question regarding the 7th channel functionality that you are working on for the Pro release.

How is the app 7th Channel different from the DroneExperts new item listed on their web-site -

Pre-order: DJI Vision+ 7th channel feature (lever+ electronics)

If I use the app, will I need the electronics or just the lever?

Trying to get an understanding of what I need!

Thanks

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Question regarding the 7th channel functionality that you are working on for the Pro release.

How is the app 7th Channel different from the DroneExperts new item listed on their web-site -

Thanks

The Droneexpert solution is an expensive hardware solution, which from early reports, isn't currently working all that well, although I've been told the company is working on it. PVFlyer is trying to create a software solution. If successful, you would just need his new to be released app, and the slider lever for the remote control.

There are few thinks that I noticed during tests of v+ booster and vision+ utility. The second one seems to cause problems with reconnecting to phantom when I was around 1 km away. I was able to reconnect only when phantom was 200 m away from me. I had full wifi signal, but the dji app failed to show the camera view, even as I had full wifi signal shown in the app. Im using re700 with external 12dbi omni horizontal antenna that works with v+ booster and gives me 1,5-1,7 km fpv range.

MASTA78 said:
There are few thinks that I noticed during tests of v+ booster and vision+ utility. The second one seems to cause problems with reconnecting to phantom when I was around 1 km away. I was able to reconnect only when phantom was 200 m away from me. I had full wifi signal, but the dji app failed to show the camera view, even as I had full wifi signal shown in the app.

Have you closed and restarted the app?

glennaxl said:
Any update if Apple have approved the V2?
The status is still "Waiting For Review" since we submitted last week. Maybe some of the Apple approval team is on summer vacation.

Attachments

• V2_Status.jpg
    V2_Status.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 426

ToddSmi said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:

Thanks

The Droneexpert solution is an expensive hardware solution, which from early reports, isn't currently working all that well, although I've been told the company is working on it. PVFlyer is trying to create a software solution. If successful, you would just need his new to be released app, and the slider lever for the remote control.

Thanks ... Where would I get just the slider lever? I did not see it on DroneExperts website. Haven't checked DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94