FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

I'm aware of a few more clone booster apps available recently. I took a quick look, and found they all copy/use the same command of our booster app V1 to set TX power to 13dBm (or a range of TX power up-to 20dBm). Obviously, those copycats may debate that command is just Linux standard command, and they are not clones. Imagine, a poet wrote a poem with only one single sentence. A copycat copied that sentence and debated all the words are in dictionary.

It's even worse on those clones sending the same command to BOTH aircraft and repeater, and guessed the same command "probably" work on repeater end. Unfortunately, that's not the case and such command is never working on repeater end as I mentioned a few weeks ago. It further shows those clones are not testing their products at all. The clones may also think 20dBm (100mW) is lot 5X more powerful than 13dBm (20mW) and should perform better FPV, but again it's not the case if you really fly your bird. Wifi FPV is a bit tricky requiring a lot of calculating and testing. Guess jobs usually lead to failure.

Anyway, we will upgrade our app to V2 with much better performance than V1. There is no easy way to be copied anymore.

The Taco app allows some flexibility in manually setting power, but lacks any sort of context for the change whatsoever. It' also been noted by others that the repeater commands are useless, although I haven't looked at the GitHub source yet. I expect most users will simply set it to 100mW thinking it's going to be "better", and either fry their camera, drain their batteries, or create so much noise they only get a few meters out of it.

I think as long as you keep things ergonomic in the UI (urban/open is a good start) and perhaps provide some diversity algorithms and/or channel control, you will have no problem staying ahead of the competition. You might want to consider a manual OPTION for those looking to directly set power, but hide it by default. I agree that it seems nobody is testing anything but you, otherwise you'd have released your Pro version long ago. I'm sticking with you right up until the point I feel like I'm being gouged. I don't mind $10 for an app that has what I want and is being run by a guy who knows his topic, but not if I'm going to have to pay up again in a month or two:)

varmint said:
The Taco app allows some flexibility in manually setting power, but lacks any sort of context for the change whatsoever. It' also been noted by others that the repeater commands are useless, although I haven't looked at the GitHub source yet. I expect most users will simply set it to 100mW thinking it's going to be "better", and either fry their camera, drain their batteries, or create so much noise they only get a few meters out of it.

I think as long as you keep things ergonomic in the UI (urban/open is a good start) and perhaps provide some diversity algorithms and/or channel control, you will have no problem staying ahead of the competition. You might want to consider a manual OPTION for those looking to directly set power, but hide it by default. I agree that it seems nobody is testing anything but you, otherwise you'd have released your Pro version long ago. I'm sticking with you right up until the point I feel like I'm being gouged. I don't mind $10 for an app that has what I want and is being run by a guy who knows his topic, but not if I'm going to have to pay up again in a month or two:)
Flexibility is appealing as long as those flexible options really work. Otherwise, those dummy options only confuse users, like you mentioned that most users expect 20dBm (100mW) flying longer FPV range than 13dBm (20mW). But the fact is TX 20dBm (100mW) shortening FPV range than 13dBm (20mW) in most of open/urban areas with various theories behind, as I also tested this myself months ago. I think this is fairly easy to test it out by simply flying your P2V+.

BTW, is there anybody willing to test 20dBm (100mW) again and report back the results?

I'll buy it all from you,and not those sneaky rats. :evil:
You deserve it.
The honor is yours :mrgreen:

M.Tigelaar said:
I'll buy it all from you,and not those sneaky rats. :evil:
You deserve it.
The honor is yours :mrgreen:
Thank you so much for your continuous support. In fact, I like healthy competition. I prefer more app developers joining P2V/P2V+ development with innovative ideas/technologies (but not clone) and quality apps to "boost" more fun to this hobby.

I have a lot more innovative ideas. One of the idea is inspired by Google Cardboard app to further enhance FPV experience. It's going to be very immersive FPV http://play.google.com/store/apps/detai ... dboarddemo

So when can i have Pro version for wifi booster?
I already bought a current phantom vision plus wifi booster so
Should i buy pro version again? Or it will be possible for update app
Because i already purchased app owner.

Thanks

Henry said:

Thanks

Read back the last page or two, he told us what the plan is.

RemE said:
Henry said:

Thanks

Read back the last page or two, he told us what the plan is.
We will upgrade the current booster app V1 (version 1.x) to V2 (version 2) and will also release a new Pro version, as I mentioned earlier. If you are referring to "migration" from V1 to Pro version, then I'm afraid neither Apple App Store nor Google Play store offering that capability. Both V2 and Pro versions will equip with a new booster engine to further improve another 50% FPV range. "Should i buy pro version again?" depends on whether you need those Pro features or not.

I don't have a concrete time line of the new Pro version. It's been beta testing (phase-1) now to verify/finalize the booster parameters. Once we finish channel-7 enabler coding, we will proceed into phase-2 beta testing.

Didn't work for me on my P2V+ I did a test today, with and without it.

Only got 200 feet further, on an approximate 3500 foot run.

The main difference was the constant 'lost signal' warnings on the way out to 3500 feet when using the booster.

I did not have those with the non-boosted signal.

I was using an iPhone 4, which might simply process too slowly.

Both tests were run in wide open spaces, the same path, and at the same elevation, about 300 feet.

photoshop64 said:
Didn't work for me on my P2V+ I did a test today, with and without it.

Only got 200 feet further, on an approximate 3500 foot run.

The main difference was the constant 'lost signal' warnings on the way out to 3500 feet when using the booster.

I did not have those with the non-boosted signal.

I was using an iPhone 4, which might simply process too slowly.

Both tests were run in wide open spaces, the same path, and at the same elevation, about 300 feet.
The booster app is boosting 2.4G Wifi FPV video/telemetry link only. You indicated "lost signal" warning likely due to 5.8G control link reached the limit. Control Signal Lost warning means video/telemetry link is still good to notify Vision app that your 5.8G control link dropped. You did not see this (un-boosted) probably because of 2.4G video/telemetry link shorter than 5.8G control link with "Phantom connection broken" warning, and after boosted 2.4G link longer than 5.8G control link.

I have change the root password of fpv+ and the extender, should I revert the root password to default one before using this app ?
Thanks

So I finally got my replacement camera/gimbal and have been able to fly FPV again. I bought both PVFlyer's V+ Booster app when it first came out and have been following this thread closely. During my wait for my replacement camera/gimbal, I've since discovered and bought another booster app, the Vision+ Utility. I haven't been able to use either before but tested both today. Without using either app and heading in the same direction at 150 feet elevation, my bird lost video feed at 1800 feet. With PVFlyer's V+ Booster app, I was able to go to 2400 feet before losing video feed. With Vision+ Utility, the phantom boosted at 13dBm and no change to the range extender output, I was able to go to 2800 feet when I lost signal and RTH was initiated. I still had video at that point, albeit it was stuttering. The preview quality for all the tests was 640x480 30 fps and I repositioned the wifi extender to aim it at the phantom during flight. I can also confirm that the Vision+ Utility included wifi encryption does work and it is a permanent change so don't forget your password. I did each test twice with similar results, so for me at least, it seems the Vision+ Utility works better. The Vision+ Utility had the option to increase power to 20 dBM but I wasn't comfortable boosting that high (don't want to possibly burn up the wifi module), and I had read previously that boosting the extender had no effect so I didn't even attempt changing this setting.

I agree that PVFlyer deserves credit for coming out with the app first but I don't think that the Vision+ Utility should be vilified as a "clone." It was discovered that the signal boost was a simple command consisting of a single line of code, I think I read in one of the forums by linuxkid how to do this boost without either app. Both developers used this code to make an app for those of us, including myself, who are uncomfortable messing around with the files on the phantom on our own. I see that the V+ Booster Pro update is going to include wifi encryption and a possible 7th channel control. Is the V+ Booster Pro update now the "clone" since the Vision+ Utility already has wifi encryption in it's current release? No it's not. I actually appreciate that there is more than one developer out there pushing the limits of these machines and with healthy competition, we as consumers will benefit from more features at a better cost. At the end of the day, I'm going to use the app that gives me the most bang for my buck. I bought the V+Booster app the day it was released in the Apple app store because of all the posts I read about the developer working on new features. I must say I am a bit disappointed that PVFlyer chose to create 2 new apps, the upgraded V+ Booster for all us early adapters and the new V+ Booster Pro that you can now purchase as a new app. It would have been nice if the upgrade and the Pro version were one and the same. The original app was a little expensive in the first place, but hey he's the developer and he can charge whatever he wants.

The results of my test will have me follow the developer of the Vision+ Utility very closely, especially since he's very open about posting exactly what his app does and how he does it by posting a link to his code for anyone to see. I don't understand any of it but I do appreciate him doing it. In the end, I'm a practical person and I'm going to use whichever tool is going to give me what I need for the best price, be it one of these 2 apps or another one if someone else develops a better app.

rcfanhi said:
So I finally got my replacement camera/gimbal and have been able to fly FPV again...clipped.

Very spot on post, and I agree with just about everything you said. Overall I'm pleased with the fact that there's now competition, and also feel a bit put-off by having to fess up twice to get more features within a short span of time. On the other hand, these apps are all relatively cheap, and nobody is raking in Angry birds type money. In fact if you look in the Play store (Android), you can see that the number of downloads for some of these is measured in the 10 or hundreds, not thousands. For me it's not about bein able to "afford" it or not. Good God, look what we pay for the hardware; But there is clearly a perception issue to consider when you try to charge too much unnecessarily.

None of that really matters that much to me, other than the fact that I'm also in the software development business, and know how tough it can be to make the right decisions. We as a company are very product-oriented, rather than revenue driven, having one product that's been constantly updated for over 8 years now without cost to the end-user. That product has literally thousands of man hours in it, a much more limited market, and it's $50. Maybe I'm a little biased, but in retrospect, Maybe FPVFlyer should have released the first booster App free, and then there would have been less reason to moan when trying to monetize the "Pro version" so soon after. Oh well, his decisions are his to live or die by, and in the end only the market can decide who wins or loses.

I'd also point out, that he IS making support and community involvement a big piece of the equation. That counts for more than a little. Just look at DJI if you want to see how NOT to support your customer base.

The only point I might take issue with is your conclusion that the Vision+ app "works better". While that may be true for you, it's not necessarily true for others. The only difference between them in that regard is the TX power. PFVFlyer has to make a choice for the first booster app and probably went with the best overall performance he and his partner found in their testing environment. I'm sure there are other environments where the Vision+ app would perform worse.

rcfanhi said:
I see that the V+ Booster Pro update is going to include wifi encryption and a possible 7th channel control. Is the V+ Booster Pro update now the "clone" since the Vision+ Utility already has wifi encryption in it's current release? No it's not.
Thanks for your feedback and opinions.

Regarding Wifi security, I'm the first one (AFAIK) proposed using WPA Wifi encryption to protect the "entrance" point ONLY back to early June with my theory and testing to support it. Many others proposed changing root password or Wifi encryption all the way from aircraft to repeater, etc. Obviously, other developers acted faster to implement my idea in their app (I wouldn't say they copy my idea, but we all know the facts), while this is not our priority though we had implemented this back to June in our beta.

What's the chances of someone actually hacking into your vision ? Just curious if this really is something to worry about ?
Ant idea house close you are to channel 7 ?

PVFlyer said:
rcfanhi said:
I see that the V+ Booster Pro update is going to include wifi encryption and a possible 7th channel control. Is the V+ Booster Pro update now the "clone" since the Vision+ Utility already has wifi encryption in it's current release? No it's not.
Thanks for your feedback and opinions.

Regarding Wifi security, I'm the first one (AFAIK) proposed using WPA Wifi encryption to protect the "entrance" point ONLY back to early June with my theory and testing to support it. Many others proposed changing root password or Wifi encryption all the way from aircraft to repeater, etc. Obviously, other developers acted faster to implement my idea in their app (I wouldn't say they copy my idea, but we all know the facts), while this is not our priority though we had implemented this back to June in our beta.

OMFG

You're the best.
Everyone has copied your idea.
All other developers have copied your app.
Also DJI has copied in reality from you.

We all jump on it like a ***** in heat!

Typical Chinese copy all day and tell others steal your ideas.

tryToFly said:
OMFG

You're the best.
Everyone has copied your idea.
All other developers have copied your app.
Also DJI has copied in reality from you.

We all jump on it like a ***** in heat!
You may show us something that really work and innovative in your app without copying others. Then I bet nobody calling your app is clone. Your stupid boosting repeater command in your clone app simply does NOT work at all. The only portion working is the clone part. It shows your incompetence of development and even simple testing. Shame on you and your clone app.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart