FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

10,000 ft flight with vision+ booster

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzMJojxp9pM[/youtube]

zryall3 said:
PVFlyer said:
zryall3 said:
I purchased the wifi booster and tried it out with my new Vision 2 + and wasn't sure if it was doing better or not. A previously non boosted flight had the wifi cutting out around 800 feet altitude, with the actual controller losing contact intermittently around 1,000 feet. With the range booster turned on, shouldn't I be getting much better video link range? I tried turning off the booster app and still got about the same. How do I tell if the app is actually connected and boosting. It said " now you're connected" when I turned it on (both range extender and Phantom already turned on), but I'm not sure I actually saw any improvement. I'm not in a heavy interference area that i know of but I am using the stock batteries that came with the new Phantom. What type of range should I expect to get with the Booster app engaged? Unrelated to the booster and the wifi, in terms on just controlling the Phanom, what kind of range do any of you find to be typical before it enters come home mode? The 5.8 mhz controller I thought would be good for a couple thousand feet line of site at least.Thanks
I suggest you to read the FAQ section in the first post of this thread. Where did you get " now you're connected" message?

I got tmake sure I understand after looking at the original post on the thread, do I need any special antenna to modify my transmitter or range extender to take advantage of the booster app? Thanks

It seems there are some misunderstanding:
1. You should see "Your Vision+ is boosted up" instead of " now you're connected".
2. Once you boost the aircraft, there is no way to turn it off unless you power cycle aircraft/repeater.
3. Many pilots reported double FPV range with booster app only on stock (un-modded) P2V+ and repeater. However, your FPV range may vary.

You may try flying in other area/direction. Please report back.

tizzl10 said:
varmint said:
tizzl10 said:
10,000 ft flight with vision+

Help! My jaw has fallen and it can't get up!

lol.. im still shocked I got 10k feet with the booster app! incredible!
Well done! What preview quality did you use?

tizzl10 said:
varmint said:
tizzl10 said:
10,000 ft flight with vision+

lol.. im still shocked I got 10k feet with the booster app! incredible!

You broke my record. :evil:
I think weather is a big condition. ;)

You are a champion. :lol:

Tony, I used the lowest preview quality setting on the 10k flight. I am going out tomorrow to see what I can get on the middle setting and then test the highest setting.

lol.. im still shocked I got 10k feet with the booster app! incredible![/quote]

You broke my record. :evil:
I think weather is a big condition. ;)

You are a champion. :lol:[/quote]

lol I was aiming at reaching the distances you were getting!

Do you have your TX modded as well to get that distance?

tizzl10 said:
lol I was aiming at reaching the distances you were getting!

lol Please use 640/15fps fly again because it's a game rule. :lol:

Thank you. :mrgreen:

Re: V+ Booster Longest FPV Range Contest

PVFlyer said:
In order to achieve more consistent FPV range results for V+ Booster, we would like to conduct the longest FPV range contest for both Android beta testers and iOS users as below:

1. All FPV range records should be performed with stock (un-modded) Phantom 2 Vision+ aircraft and stock RE700 range extender. Gentlemen, please be honest of NOT modding any hardware of your 2.4G FPV gears. You may use external battery for charging the range extender during flight. The 5.8G transmitter can be modded with antenna/amplifier to extend the control range.
2. Preview quality should be set to 640x480 15fps.
3. Any reported FPV range should provide screen captured or video recorded as proof to show Distance. FYI, if you use Metric unit in Android VISION app, it would show N/A after 2,000m, thus Imperial unit is preferable for Android.
4. You may fly in any area and any altitude to get your best FPV range.
5. You may report your best FPV range on/before June 1, 2014. Previous reported and effective records of iOS/Android (with proof) could enter to the contest automatically.
6. The champion, first runner-up and second runner-up of the contest can get a FREE copy of V+ Booster of your choice of iOS or Android as a token of appreciation for your achievement.

I will summarize all effective FPV range records in the original post (page 1) of this thread for easy reference.
As many of you iOS/Android pilots start flying/testing the booster app during this weekend, I would like to extend the contest 2 more weeks till June-15. Again, this casual contest is mainly for fun. Fly SAFE and happy flying.

Kelvo1984 said:
Do you have your TX modded as well to get that distance?

yes, 5.8ghz panel/patch antenna and 5.8ghz sunhans amplifier..all control modifications..no hardware modifications on the 2.4ghz camera side...only the booster app on the 2.4ghz side.

Hi,

I have modded 5.8G transmitter with 14dbi patch panel antenna. The rest are all stock. :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-02-08-48-20.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-08-48-20.png
    313.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Screenshot_2014-06-02-08-16-04.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-02-08-16-04.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 286
  • Screenshot_2014-06-01-08-39-01.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-01-08-39-01.png
    211.1 KB · Views: 265

I just purchased the app tonight and did a quick test.

I set up the P2V+ facing a TV at one corner of my house.

I then walked away through two sets of doors until it started to break up and finally lose connection near the middle of my house.

I went back, ran the booster app and walked away again.

I was able to go all the way to the opposite corner of my house, set the controller on the ground and I was still able to watch TV on my Samsung Galaxy S3 at the 640x480 15FPS setting.

Not a very scientific test and I can't go fly until tomorrow. But I'd have to conclude that the app does indeed work very well. :D

Thanks!

OK, I finally got a good test done.

Conditions:
  • Phone: Samsung S3, Verizon Android 4.3
    FPV: 320x240@15
    Weather: 80F, low humidity
    Wifi interference: little or none
    Altitude: 555'
    P2V: completely unmodified including repeater and TX
    Note: repeater was powered via USB power pack

Results
  • No boost: 4800', lost FPV
    Boosted: 7419' or a little more, lost FPV
    54% improvement!!! Love this app!!

Actually, beyond about 6800', the FPV was spotty with dropped frames etc, but it's SO much better than unboosted!

I went ahead and wrote a review on Google Play Store.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-01-18-19-47small.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-01-18-19-47small.png
    474.5 KB · Views: 210

nhoover said:
OK, I finally got a good test done.

Conditions:
  • Phone: Samsung S3, Verizon Android 4.3
    FPV: 320x240@15
    Weather: 80F, low humidity
    Wifi interference: little or none
    Altitude: 555'
    P2V: completely unmodified including repeater and TX
    Note: repeater was powered via USB power pack

Results
  • No boost: 4800', lost FPV
    Boosted: 7419' or a little more, lost FPV
    54% improvement!!! Love this app!!

Actually, beyond about 6800', the FPV was spotty with dropped frames etc, but it's SO much better than unboosted!

I went ahead and wrote a review on Google Play Store.
Glad to know you like the app. Thanks a lot for posting a great review. I have updated the record in the summary of OP.

Quick trial yesterday evening while trying to fix a compass issue ... with result a little more than 900m (2.900ft) with freezeless FPV video in 640x15fps.
OK, not significant regarding what you reached guys (tizzl10, LMC, ...) but I suddenly realized that I was flying straight to a water tower with a huge amount of 3G antennas on top :roll:
I preferred not to go further and to fly back (didn't want to take any risk on losing the RTH capability because of a disturbed GPS) !
I look forward to testing the booster app at a more appropriate location :)

Is the "stock" booster the same on both the P2V & the P2V+ ? I have an antenna mod on my P2V and will be receiving the + tomorrow. Can I just switch out the booster? Will the booster App still work?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT