FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

mchrol said:
My first test with Vision booster +

Cell - LG G2
Android 4.4.2

No obstructions, test made on unactive airport's runaway.
Attitude - 15-20 m for test.

Without booster - 673 m. ( stock Phantom vision + no mods, no antennas)
With booster - 590 m.

I think either I was doing something wrong or...?
A few thoughts:
- Try to fly higher altitude, which is easier to aim the repeater.
- Any strong 2.4G signal nearby the runway? Boosted power usually picks up more noise. Try to test fly another path/direction or even another area.

neoneo said:
booster app beta tester: Neo
today i i flew in an open farmland field: in this field i get between 3,500 and 5,700 feet before RTH is activated. out of around 15 flights there i've only gone above 5,000 3 times. All the other times were between 4,200 and 5,000. the times i've gotten stopped at around 3,500 seemed to be flukes.
so with all that said, i never know what to expect at this field.
today at 408 feet up i was able to get 3,478 feet out (without booster app). i tired to push past this distance 3 times.
*side note: my furthest distance of 5,855 feet was at 400 feet up so i gauge things at 400 alt unless i need to go higher.

on the way back during RTH i turned on the Wifi Booster app (on my galaxy s4 android)
i turned around and headed back out and up and i beat my old record setting a new one of 6,028.9 feet (i was 606 feet up).
I decided to drop it back down to 400 feet and test the limits there. i should have never took it to 600 in the first place but i wasn't thinking.
At 378 feet up with the wifi extender on I reached 5,174 feet. thats just short of a mile.
so all in all the wifi extender took me from 3,478 feet to 5,174 feet at 400 feet up. thats a 1,696 foot addition by pressing one button after opening the app. that's very close to 50% boost. It was getting dark and the bugs were making a meal out of me so i had to stop. but i'll keep testing it and updating you.
Thanks you guys for letting me test this app. i'm going to need to upgrade my 5.8 soon! and thats a good thing
Thanks for sharing and I updated your result to the first post summary section. What preview quality did you use? Is that a Wifi congested area?

PVFlyer said:
neoneo said:
booster app beta tester: Neo
today i i flew in an open farmland field: in this field i get between 3,500 and 5,700 feet before RTH is activated. out of around 15 flights there i've only gone above 5,000 3 times. All the other times were between 4,200 and 5,000. the times i've gotten stopped at around 3,500 seemed to be flukes.
so with all that said, i never know what to expect at this field.
today at 408 feet up i was able to get 3,478 feet out (without booster app). i tired to push past this distance 3 times.
*side note: my furthest distance of 5,855 feet was at 400 feet up so i gauge things at 400 alt unless i need to go higher.

on the way back during RTH i turned on the Wifi Booster app (on my galaxy s4 android)
i turned around and headed back out and up and i beat my old record setting a new one of 6,028.9 feet (i was 606 feet up).
I decided to drop it back down to 400 feet and test the limits there. i should have never took it to 600 in the first place but i wasn't thinking.
At 378 feet up with the wifi extender on I reached 5,174 feet. thats just short of a mile.
so all in all the wifi extender took me from 3,478 feet to 5,174 feet at 400 feet up. thats a 1,696 foot addition by pressing one button after opening the app. that's very close to 50% boost. It was getting dark and the bugs were making a meal out of me so i had to stop. but i'll keep testing it and updating you.
Thanks you guys for letting me test this app. i'm going to need to upgrade my 5.8 soon! and thats a good thing
Thanks for sharing and I updated your result to the first post summary section. What preview quality did you use? Is that a Wifi congested area?
I used 320x240 15fps.
I was on farmland. I'm not sure exactly about the wifi in the area but it can't be too bad. I was within 50 meters of 4 houses that I'm sure had wifi. but there was not one house between me and the drone. If you look at this video i did in the beginning of May (before i had the booster) its the same farm fields.
where is the first post summary section?

PVFlyer said:
mchrol said:
My first test with Vision booster +

Cell - LG G2
Android 4.4.2

No obstructions, test made on unactive airport's runaway.
Attitude - 15-20 m for test.

Without booster - 673 m. ( stock Phantom vision + no mods, no antennas)
With booster - 590 m.

I think either I was doing something wrong or...?

A few thoughts:
- Try to fly higher altitude, which is easier to aim the repeater.
- Any strong 2.4G signal nearby the runway? Boosted power usually picks up more noise. Try to test fly another path/direction or even another area.

That what I was thinking. Not high enough to aim. That was only a test one. Not even mast, radars, antennas in vincinity. That's the second world war aiport. Only field and a little asphalt ;)

Will update soon after getting more acurate results.

Here it is, 640@30 FPS.... yup 30....

So, I thought, why not try.....
Updated to 3.04 firmware
Galaxy S4 T Mobile running KittyKat Virgin Rom
Grabbed a reds beer and took a sip, set it for 640@30 FPS and went for it. Only did 1500 ft for tonight at is was getting dark, but no glitching and it truly did look smooth... will do more testing in the next day or two but here's two screen movie grabs for ya viewing pleasure... I gotta say initial testing of vision boost is spot on!!! way to go!

http://youtu.be/PGCJ0OwLl3Y
http://youtu.be/3JPVdyEPTo0

DBS said:
Just fair warning... If you know this little about how to do these things... you should back down for a bit and do some research so you don't break anything...

You need to do this to your remote so you can plug in your new antenna...
No soldering involved with any of the phantom antenna upgrades anyway so no worries...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ne17I6RtRQ[/youtube]
Well, if asking questions isn't research, then what is?

Is this the correct connector? http://www.amazon.com/U-FL-RP-SMA-Pigta ... QTSYNBT4E9

And, how do I attach the panel to the RC? Velcro?

neoneo said:
I used 320x240 15fps.
I was on farmland. I'm not sure exactly about the wifi in the area but it can't be too bad. I was within 50 meters of 4 houses that I'm sure had wifi. but there was not one house between me and the drone. If you look at this video i did in the beginning of May (before i had the booster) its the same farm fields.
where is the first post summary section?
The first (original) post is on page 1 of this thread. The summary section of Android beta is located at the bottom of the first post in green color. You may try higher resolution (such as 640x480 15fps) in the next flight and see any different in FPV range gain.

Bigbells said:
Well, if asking questions isn't research, then what is?

Is this the correct connector? http://www.amazon.com/U-FL-RP-SMA-Pigta ... QTSYNBT4E9

And, how do I attach the panel to the RC? Velcro?

Yes... that's the correct pigtail connector

The panel you had pictured earlier needs no mount... The wire it is attached to is stiff enough to stand up on its own without any attachment method other than screwing in the SMA connector.

And research... such as finding threads that specifically deal with what you are trying to achieve and reading them from beginning to end rather than asking random questions in a thread that isn't targeted at physical mods.

There's stuff you're gonna run into doing these mods that can be frustrating or even destructive... like how to separate the RC without breaking the antenna mast mount or damaging wiring... or how to carefully slice off the silicon holding the u.fl connector in place so you don't rip the socket off the board.

First test in urban area (over a lake) - Cloudy weather, humid.
all test in 640 x 480 - 15 fps
Tx in FCC mode - range extender battery : 90%
Without Booster : 750 meters
With booster activate : 1100 meters.

Another observation : Better control at low altitude, never cut in video.
Booster app is awsome.

Orbbs said:
First test in urban area (over a lake) - Cloudy weather, humid.
all test in 640 x 480 - 15 fps
Tx in FCC mode - range extender battery : 90%
Without Booster : 750 meters
With booster activate : 1100 meters.

Another observation : Better control at low altitude, never cut in video.
Booster app is awsome.
Thanks for sharing. I have updated your result to Android beta test summary in the first (original) post of this thread.

I use the wi-fi booster app on my iPhone 4s, and have also installed the update that was released a few days ago.

I've had no problems with the app but I haven't been able to verify for certain whether it increases my 2.4Ghz range, since my 5.8Ghz control range is usually what fails first. This was true both before and after I installed the wi-fi booster app.

I've had only one flight that exceeded 3800 feet, and it was 4400 feet. I think that flight is an outlier, and it was done before I installed the wi-fi booster app. I still had FPV on that flight when the control connection broke, although there were brief losses of both signals along the way.

When I've installed an RC-side-only 5.8Ghz antenna upgrade, I'll report back if I'm able to exceed my previous longest control distance.

V+ Booster Longest FPV Range Contest

In order to achieve more consistent FPV range results for V+ Booster, we would like to conduct the longest FPV range contest for both Android beta testers and iOS users as below:

1. All FPV range records should be performed with stock (un-modded) Phantom 2 Vision+ aircraft and stock RE700 range extender. Gentlemen, please be honest of NOT modding any hardware of your 2.4G FPV gears. You may use external battery for charging the range extender during flight. The 5.8G transmitter can be modded with antenna/amplifier to extend the control range.
2. Preview quality should be set to 640x480 15fps.
3. Any reported FPV range should provide screen captured or video recorded as proof to show Distance. FYI, if you use Metric unit in Android VISION app, it would show N/A after 2,000m, thus Imperial unit is preferable for Android.
4. You may fly in any area and any altitude to get your best FPV range.
5. You may report your best FPV range on/before June 1, 2014. Previous reported and effective records of iOS/Android (with proof) could enter to the contest automatically.
6. The champion, first runner-up and second runner-up of the contest can get a FREE copy of V+ Booster of your choice of iOS or Android as a token of appreciation for your achievement.

I will summarize all effective FPV range records in the original post (page 1) of this thread for easy reference.

Re: V+ Booster Longest FPV Range Contest

PVFlyer said:
In order to achieve more consistent FPV range results for V+ Booster, we would like to conduct the longest FPV range contest for both Android beta testers and iOS users as below:

1. All FPV range records should be performed with stock (un-modded) Phantom 2 Vision+ aircraft and stock RE700 range extender. Gentlemen, please be honest of NOT modding any hardware of your 2.4G FPV gears. You may use external battery for charging the range extender during flight. The 5.8G transmitter can be modded with antenna/amplifier to extend the control range.
3. Any reported FPV range should provide screen captured or video recorded as proof to show Distance. FYI, if you use Metric unit in Android VISION app, it would show N/A after 2,000m, thus Imperial unit is preferable for Android.
5. You may report your best FPV range on/before June 1, 2014. Previous reported and effective records of iOS/Android (with proof) could enter to the contest automatically.
6. The champion, first runner-up and second runner-up of the contest can get a FREE copy of V+ Booster of your choice of iOS or Android as a token of appreciation for your achievement.

I will summarize all effective FPV range records in the original post (page 1) of this thread for easy reference.

Very interesting :lol:

PVFlyer said:

Android DJI app on Android 4.4 dont work at this resolution.

LMC said:
PVFlyer said:

Very interesting :lol:

$9.99 Vs $1300 :p :D :eek: :shock: :lol: :? :cool: :!:

Smb said:
So the problem it's specifically with the Nexus5?

EDIT: no, the problem ISN'T specifically with the Nexus5. If you google "dji 640x480 android preview" you can find several testimonials. Also on google play: "640x480@30fps FPV does not work on any of my android"

Smb said:
So the problem it's specifically with the Nexus5?

I don't know.... plenty of people are reporting the problem so must be a number of devices... i guess you could make the opposite assumption that it isn't specifically related to Android 4.4

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT