Fox News Guest Crashes Drone While Talking About Safety

Hughie said:
I dont understand how broadcasters can be allowed to spin such tosh. Little nuances like, having a DJI Phantom in the studio, pointing out that it was the same type as the one found at the WH (actually worse they say it is THE SAME DRONE which was found at the WH), impying that a DJI Phantom killed a 19 year old, reporting FAA license grants as a bad thing.

Do people actually watch this channel. What ever happened to objective media coverage without an agenda.

Couldn't have said that better.
Seems credible journalists passionate about investigating and reporting factual important news that can make a difference, have mostly been replaced with gossip rag type coverage.
These people should be so proud of their skills.........

It was not in the same class as a small UAV like the Phantom. But this and three other deaths by RC aircraft are what the FAA keeps bringing out as an example of why the Phantom is a danger to the public.

I believe the FAA's stance is that UAVs/Drones/commercial RC aircraft need to be regulated, many of which are considerably larger and hence could be more dangerous than the little benign Phantom. I don't recall ever reading or hearing that an FAA representative has said "Phantoms" are a danger to the public?

GoodnNuff said:
I believe the FAA's stance is that UAVs/Drones/commercial RC aircraft need to be regulated, many of which are considerably larger and hence could be more dangerous than the little benign Phantom. I don't recall ever reading or hearing that an FAA representative has said "Phantoms" are a danger to the public?

Question... what is the difference between a "drone" and a DJI Phantom? There in lies the rub... and what we are all speaking of. We fear that, with "shows" like this, that people won't understand or care about the difference. They see a DJI Phantom on TV, hear that it cut someone's head off and seek to regulate it as such.

Of course, we could all just trust that the lawmakers will do the right thing and see how everything works out.

SteveMann said:
tcope said:
Flier also says that regulation is needed as there was a kid in Brooklyn that was killed by one. When I search I find such an article but he was decapitated by RC HELICOPTOR!

" A 19-year-old model helicopter enthusiast was killed Thursday when a toy helicopter he was flying struck him in the head, a law-enforcement official said."

He also hit himself.

While it would certainly do a little damage, I doubt a Phantom 2 is going to cut off the top of someone's head.

This "flier" is an idiot. Though, he's in good company.
He was flying a T-Rex 700N DFC fuel powered model helicopter. The aluminum rotor blades are 690mm (27-inches) and the copter empty weight is 4200g (9.25 pounds). It was not in the same class as a small UAV like the Phantom. But this and three other deaths by RC aircraft are what the FAA keeps bringing out as an example of why the Phantom is a danger to the public.

There is absolutely no factual evidence to support the fear and ignorance around small personal drones. There have been hundreds of thousands of hours of flight time using these small aircraft, yet there is not one verifiable report of a drone crash that resulted in a serious injury to someone not connected to the flight. Not one. It is a safety record that all other segments of aviation would be jealous to have. Where's the blood and mayhem to justify the perception that small personal drones are a threat to public safety?

(A Band-Aid or cold compresses are not indicators of a serious injury).

I am not saying that it can't or won't happen in the future, but the fear of personal drones is hugely overstated. Especially by some on this forum.
Although highly unlikely I have seen a Phantom shoot straight up in the air many times faster than you can climb in GPS mode, invert, and come crashing down from a hight of 300 feet. If someone took a direct hit they would very likely be killed. Granted this could be avoided by flying in a safe area that is not heavily populated. Again personal responsibility and safe practices could greatly reduce this risk.

Could be killed? Still far different than was killed. I could be killed by a hammer. Should we put news articles out about how they kill people so they should be regulated? Though, it is Faux news so I should not be surprised that they make crap up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20