Fox News Guest Crashes Drone While Talking About Safety

Crash aside,
This safety discussion will never ever be resolved. It needs clear educated decisions around its use by the governing bodies for each country.

He is probably employed by the FAA to make their point. Would not put it past them or the media to stage that.

The comments on the actual new article says it all. It does seem that the commentators on Fox definitely were trying to prove a point. You would find the same on any network. This is embarrassing. Where did they find that guy? As I have stated before, you cannot regulate stupid.

ccase39 said:
He is probably employed by the FAA to make their point. Would not put it past them or the media to stage that.

Seriously? So you believe it's probable the FAA employed Popular Science journalist Dave Mosher to stage that crash?

Flier also says that regulation is needed as there was a kid in Brooklyn that was killed by one. When I search I find such an article but he was decapitated by RC HELICOPTOR!

" A 19-year-old model helicopter enthusiast was killed Thursday when a toy helicopter he was flying struck him in the head, a law-enforcement official said."

He also hit himself.

While it would certainly do a little damage, I doubt a Phantom 2 is going to cut off the top of someone's head.

This "flier" is an idiot. Though, he's in good company.

Consider the source Fox News and four dummies that don't have a clue. There was a comment made by the jackass flying the P2v+ in the studio that kid was killed by a drone. Well the young man was killed by his own RC Helicopter and by no means was it toy nor did it decapitate him. There was more on the National News this evening about quadcopters near airports and also flying beyond 400 feet in the air.

Possible reason for the crash was all the equipment. He was fine until he got really close with the equipment and signals got crossed.

I dont understand how broadcasters can be allowed to spin such tosh. Little nuances like, having a DJI Phantom in the studio, pointing out that it was the same type as the one found at the WH (actually worse they say it is THE SAME DRONE which was found at the WH), impying that a DJI Phantom killed a 19 year old, reporting FAA license grants as a bad thing.

Do people actually watch this channel. What ever happened to objective media coverage without an agenda.

Reactions: toddena
Suwaneeguy said:
Possible reason for the crash was all the equipment. He was fine until he got really close with the equipment and signals got crossed.

No he just don't know how to fly he loses it when he did a 180 and lost his orientation he tried to bring it forward and went backwards instead :lol:
It is a shame this is who they get to represent the hobby .

750r said:
Suwaneeguy said:

No he just don't know how to fly he loses it when he did a 180 and lost his orientation he tried to bring it forward and went backwards instead :lol:

That was my impression too. And that's what happens when you try to fly and participate in a TV interview at the same time :D

750r said:
Suwaneeguy said:

Agreed.
Total pilot error caused by "nose in" orientation.

N017RW said:
750r said:
Suwaneeguy said:

Agreed.
Total pilot error caused by "nose in" orientation.

well... he's clearly not particularly comfortable with it LOL - and I agree with an above poster - dude is trying to conduct an interview at the same time. Why not have a guy flying while you talk about the thing? sigh...

tcope said:
Flier also says that regulation is needed as there was a kid in Brooklyn that was killed by one. When I search I find such an article but he was decapitated by RC HELICOPTOR!

" A 19-year-old model helicopter enthusiast was killed Thursday when a toy helicopter he was flying struck him in the head, a law-enforcement official said."

He also hit himself.

While it would certainly do a little damage, I doubt a Phantom 2 is going to cut off the top of someone's head.

He was flying a T-Rex 700N DFC fuel powered model helicopter. The aluminum rotor blades are 690mm (27-inches) and the copter empty weight is 4200g (9.25 pounds). It was not in the same class as a small UAV like the Phantom. But this and three other deaths by RC aircraft are what the FAA keeps bringing out as an example of why the Phantom is a danger to the public.

There is absolutely no factual evidence to support the fear and ignorance around small personal drones. There have been hundreds of thousands of hours of flight time using these small aircraft, yet there is not one verifiable report of a drone crash that resulted in a serious injury to someone not connected to the flight. Not one. It is a safety record that all other segments of aviation would be jealous to have. Where's the blood and mayhem to justify the perception that small personal drones are a threat to public safety?

(A Band-Aid or cold compresses are not indicators of a serious injury).

I am not saying that it can't or won't happen in the future, but the fear of personal drones is hugely overstated. Especially by some on this forum.

When the drone finally looked around and realized it was on Fox news it committed suicide.

SteveMann said:
tcope said:

He also hit himself.

He was flying a T-Rex 700N DFC fuel powered model helicopter. The aluminum rotor blades are 690mm (27-inches) and the copter empty weight is 4200g (9.25 pounds). It was not in the same class as a small UAV like the Phantom. But this and three other deaths by RC aircraft are what the FAA keeps bringing out as an example of why the Phantom is a danger to the public.

There is absolutely no factual evidence to support the fear and ignorance around small personal drones. There have been hundreds of thousands of hours of flight time using these small aircraft, yet there is not one verifiable report of a drone crash that resulted in a serious injury to someone not connected to the flight. Not one. It is a safety record that all other segments of aviation would be jealous to have. Where's the blood and mayhem to justify the perception that small personal drones are a threat to public safety?

I am not saying that it can't or won't happen in the future, but the fear of personal drones is hugely overstated. Especially by some on this forum.

Steve I think your very knowledgeable, but a little loose with the facts in this case.

If you research the case you'll see there were no aluminum blades involved. There are photos showing the root and other pieces of the blades at the scene. One image clearly shows the blades' construction (CF) with the Align logo.

Align does not produce aluminum blades.

MarkL said:
When the drone finally looked around and realized it was on Fox news it committed suicide.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best answer yet !

N017RW said:
SteveMann said:
tcope said:

He also hit himself.

Steve I think your very knowledgeable, but a little loose with the facts in this case.

If you research the case you'll see there were no aluminum blades involved. There are photos showing the root and other pieces of the blades at the scene. One image clearly shows the blades' construction (CF) with the Align logo.

Align does not produce aluminum blades.

Agreed - Align's blades for these birds and even after market blades are carbon fiber. The truth is - these heli's have a tremendous amount of torque and can easily maim or kill someone - This guy was a skilled pilot (or operator if we don't want to get into THAT argument again) - and he made a dumb mistake.

It's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security when you have 100's of hours under your belt - but 600-700 sized cp helis are like flying lawnmowers. I loved how my 600 felt to fly... but I was always wary of it.

The Phantoms we fly can certainly hurt you and cut you - and I imagine you could even lose a finger in the right situation - but because the torque is divided among 4 rotors - they are less likely to kill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.