FOUND Phantom 4 ~ Western North Carolina USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
A Phantom 4 was found today and turned over to me today to try and locate the rightful owner. It was found in the general area of Canton, North Carolina. It didn't land "softly" but it has a lot of potential for repair.

The SD card has no "identifiable" data on it.

If you, or someone you know, lost a Phantom 4 "recently" in this area feel free to contact me via PM.

I'll be reaching out to the FAA in the morning to track the FAA# on the aircraft. We want to get this back into the hands of the rightful owner.

Well that was a dead end unfortunately.

Either it's a "Faked" FAA# (it's the right format etc) or they wrote it incorrectly on the aircraft but the FAA has no records of that FAA# what so ever. We confirmed the #'s 2 additional times and it's still coming back NADDA!!

We tried but unless someone comes forward in the next few weeks it's going back to the kid who found it for his use.

We confirmed the #'s 2 additional times and it's still coming back NADDA!
Do you have a contact in the FAA or can anyone who finds a drone find the owner using the FAA registration number? I didn't think the FAA was sharing that information.

Do you have a contact in the FAA...

Yes I do. This is the 4th one I've been involved with re-uniting with their owner via FAA#. I'm the Lead Contact for our County Emergency Services sUAS Dept so we have become the "Subject Matter Experts" for anything and everything sUAS over the last couple of years. I'm doing this in conjunction with the Sheriff's Office and the FAA so it's an official conduit.

.....can anyone who finds a drone find the owner using the FAA registration number? I didn't think the FAA was sharing that information.

No it's not a publicly available system. It must go through a Law Enforcement avenue. When we teach at schools and clubs we instruct people who find a sUAS to physically take it to your local Law Enforcement Office. They in turn contact us (or they can call their LEAP agent with the FAA) and we take over and try to re-unite aircraft with owner.

It's ironic (and a good thing) of the ones we've been involved with this is the first one that had an FAA# that we could not connect to an owner.

Here are my stats:

• 7 - total # of sUAS found local and turned into local LEO that I know about
  • 4 - # that have had FAA# and no other contact information on them (3 returned 1 unidentifiable)
  • 2 - # that had contact information and no FAA#
  • 1 - # that had no markings (internal or otherwise) that would reunite the aircraft to the owner

Name, number, FAA# on mine. Have no desire to lose it due to my own stupidity. Haven't lost one yet, but I'm guessing it's not if, but when...

Brad

Reactions: BigAl07
Name, number, FAA# on mine. Have no desire to lose it due to my own stupidity. Haven't lost one yet, but I'm guessing it's not if, but when...

Brad

Well said Brad. If this kid has put his # on it we would have it on it's way to him already.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Well that was a dead end unfortunately.

Either it's a "Faked" FAA# (it's the right format etc) or they wrote it incorrectly on the aircraft but the FAA has no records of that FAA# what so ever. We confirmed the #'s 2 additional times and it's still coming back NADDA!!

We tried but unless someone comes forward in the next few weeks it's going back to the kid who found it for his use.

and yet another reason why everyone should label their drone with a phone number with the faa number

Reactions: Shoot4fun
A Phantom 4 was found today and turned over to me today to try and locate the rightful owner. It was found in the general area of Canton, North Carolina. It didn't land "softly" but it has a lot of potential for repair.

The SD card has no "identifiable" data on it.

If you, or someone you know, lost a Phantom 4 "recently" in this area feel free to contact me via PM.

I'll be reaching out to the FAA in the morning to track the FAA# on the aircraft. We want to get this back into the hands of the rightful owner.
Put notices out at local stores maybe, fly safe fly smart! ??

Reactions: BigAl07
Couldn't DJI help with the serial number?

You’d think DJI could notify via email to the origins registrant warning revealing anything to anyone else, preserving privacy
Sure, they could do a lot of things. However, I think they've been a little too busy building handheld cameras lately ;)

Sure, they could do a lot of things. However, I think they've been a little too busy building handheld cameras lately ;)

The Action is nice, not a big fan of the Pocket and I use an Osmo Mobile 2.

They need to do way more to let people know they intend to stay on top of the drone game by talking to their customers more. I wish they were a non-Chinese company for more transparency.

The Action is nice, not a big fan of the Pocket and I use an Osmo Mobile 2.

They need to do way more to let people know they intend to stay on top of the drone game by talking to their customers more. I wish they were a non-Chinese company for more transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20