Found drone

Reaction score
A few months ago I found a dead drone laying in my yard. It is a DJI Phantom 4 RTK. Nobody has ever come looking for it. I'm assuming it has GPS so they should know where it is. I have also contacted DJI and reported the serial number, they said they sent email to the one on file through registration with no response. What else is there to do to find owner? How long should I reasonably wait for someone to come looking for it or to contact me before I just toss it. It is of no use to me.

Reactions: kklix
A few months ago I found a dead drone laying in my yard. It is a DJI Phantom 4 RTK. Nobody has ever come looking for it. I'm assuming it has GPS so they should know where it is. I have also contacted DJI and reported the serial number, they said they sent email to the one on file through registration with no response. What else is there to do to find owner? How long should I reasonably wait for someone to come looking for it or to contact me before I just toss it. It is of no use to me.
No dont bin it,,,rtk is expensive drone and someone be looking,any identification inside battery box,,,add couple pictures if possible,,might have some form of bein recognized by the owner,,
Yip GPS but unless remote and drone powered up it wont show on the operators remote screen of location , only last know heading ,,there is a lost and found forum here in the FORUM list if not already posted there,,
Good on you for posting
It does have sd card on the side inserted,,you might see something on it of the area it come from if pictures or video was taken or a number on the shell which will be their registration if bein used professionally,

Last edited by a moderator:
So if the controller and the drone have to be powered up, but the drone is actually dead, how do I charge the battery if I don't have a charger for it?

Reactions: RodPad
Ok..not work like that because the pilots remote would need to be on,,you mention couple months in your care so I dont think it be that easy since time has passed,,Its possible after this time frame the owner if had DJI CARE or insurance would have maybe claimed another and either has linked or used previous remote with new drone,,that's what I think would have happened
it's not just charge up and find owner unfortunately,,,
I add couple pictures (just so you know) of what some apps have to find your drone BUT as picture say only last know direction of travel will show if the drone has gone dead or lost battery on impact ...bottom picture show drone and remote on,,,below just show direction
This is a feature the pilots can use and he or she probably been looking while ago
Unsure what to advise you to but wouldn't bin it,,,,,,hand it in to police maybe,
Hope I word that unconfusingly....to charge battery you need a DJI charger or someone who has one for the p4
Screenshot_20230510-113417_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230510-113549_Chrome.jpg

I will buy it for $50..

This is an expensive drone as others have indicated here. Is there a registration number on the outside of the shell? If so it may be possible to contact the owner through that number. The other option is to check with your local police department to see if it was reported lost to them. This is something that would probably have been better done immediately after finding it. I haven't lost a drone yet but I can only imagine how gut-wrenching it must be to lose one. Also, think about how exhilarating it would feel for both you and the legit owner if you were to explore all possible channels to return it to its rightful owner.

Reactions: ItsFitz
To all,
I just found this thread. Does it have a SD card, I'm I missing that?

Shows:
He has made only two posts at this moment.

Rod..

Last edited:
Reactions: CoreySnipes
He has made only two posts at this moment.
Key info right here. ^^^

I recommend everyone use caution before sending any money. I'm not saying OP's story isn't true, but it's an easy way to get someone to send a couple hundred bucks to an unknown account.

Key info right here. ^^^

I recommend everyone use caution before sending any money. I'm not saying OP's story isn't true, but it's an easy way to get someone to send a couple hundred bucks to an unknown account.
I agree. I got suspicious when I read he found it a couple of months ago. A normal person would attempt to find the owner right away, not two months later. Also, report it to the police so there would be a record of where it is and the owner would probably check with the police to see if anything was turned in. The whole "story" just doesn't make sense. To me anyway.

YEPERS!
I think we all have seen this kind stuff before, but why bother?

Rod..

Reactions: TimInCT
Post a picture of it. Should have some FAA markings on it that will help in identifying the owner.

Reactions: RodPad
A few months ago I found a dead drone laying in my yard. It is a DJI Phantom 4 RTK. Nobody has ever come looking for it. I'm assuming it has GPS so they should know where it is. I have also contacted DJI and reported the serial.........
Yeh gota remember original post,it does say they thought someone might come.
Be good to see update if they not been scared off ,,If I ever lost one , I would never stop looking 🛸

Any thoughts?
I see now the offers came after his last post.

I have seen this many times, you start asking facts, they disappear.
I don't get the motive yet. :)👌

Rod..

Reactions: ItsFitz

Any thoughts?
I see now the offers came after his last post.

I have seen this many times, you start asking facts, they disappear.
I don't get the motive yet. :)👌

Rod..
Perhaps lonely with very low self-esteem looking for short-tern attention using a method which puts him in a control position for a power trip.

Reactions: ItsFitz and RodPad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1